PDA

View Full Version : Locking Hubs

ablast
20th September 2011, 09:07 PM
I read that my 1997 GQ Y60 ST Patrol has self locking hubs. They appear to be manual hubs to me. Is there a method of locking these hubs automatically that I am unaware of ?

NissanGQ4.2
20th September 2011, 09:10 PM
have u got pic of the hub?

Aren't self locking hubs....manual hubs, only auto hubs are hubs that u can lock in automatically or manually that i am aware of.

Maxhead
20th September 2011, 09:13 PM
You'll have manual hubs therefore you will have to get out of the car and "lock" them manualy every time you need to engage the front hubs

ablast
20th September 2011, 09:24 PM
Yep yep, that is what I thought. They look like standard manual hubs. From what I was reading I thought there may have been some modification that has been done over the years. Obviously what I was reading was just a bit of BS. Most my experience in the past was with auto hubs so it is a bit of a learning curve for me. I had heaps of 4x4 experience in my Army years but haven’t done that since 1989. Thanks guys.

Maxhead
20th September 2011, 09:36 PM
Yep yep, that is what I thought. They look like standard manual hubs. From what I was reading I thought there may have been some modification that has been done over the years. Obviously what I was reading was just a bit of BS. Most my experience in the past was with auto hubs so it is a bit of a learning curve for me. I had heaps of 4x4 experience in my Army years but haven’t done that since 1989. Thanks guys.

Mate, You can definitely modify auto hubs to manual but I haven't heard of the other way around. Some of the gurus might jump on soon and clarify.

Cheers

Finly Owner
20th September 2011, 09:49 PM
OK first of all, lets clarify that your hubs have a "bar" through the centre of them and the words "Lock" "Unlock" on them with arrows " -> " & " <- " on them.

And as far as I know you can swap "manual" hubs for "auto" hubs, just as easy as swapping Auto for manual. but then again I play with MQ/MK.

Tim

Maxhead
20th September 2011, 10:02 PM
And also Ablast, if you have manual hubs...stick with them.
Lot of people are swapping auto to manual for peace of mind and not risking them disengaging when needed.

ablast
21st September 2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you all for your prompt and informative responses.

Very much appreciated.

-ET 4wd-
23rd September 2011, 01:31 AM
Auto locking hubs will also not work in reverse unless locked with your wheel brace........trap for young players!

Steve.

ablast
23rd September 2011, 02:59 PM
Well that is something worth taking note of. I am no stranger to the 4 x 4 experiance. My experiance was in the military and mostly with Land Rovers, Unimogs, Scamel, Keisers and an array of other vehicles ranging from Mopeds through to Leopard Tanks. The automatic gearbox and manual hubs is all pretty new to me. Lol The old Land Rovers work quite differently. Just goes to show that you are never too old to learn.

the evil twin
23rd September 2011, 04:40 PM
Auto locking hubs will also not work in reverse unless locked with your wheel brace........trap for young players!

Steve.

Uuummm... unless I misinterpret your post that is not correct cobber.

Well, for Nissan Factory 'Auto' Hubs anyway. They work just fine in 'Auto' if you are in 4WD High or Low and using reverse gear.

Where some confusion comes in is that to ensure the Auto Hubs 'automatically unlock' after 4WD is deselected the vehicle should be driven a car length or two in the 'reverse direction'.

IE if you were driving forward then you deselect 4WD and drive in reverse OR if you were driving in reverse (IE backing out of a mudhole or whatever) then you deselect 4WD and drive forward a car length or two.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd September 2011, 05:22 PM
Uuummm... unless I misinterpret your post that is not correct cobber.

Well, for Nissan Factory 'Auto' Hubs anyway. They work just fine in 'Auto' if you are in 4WD High or Low and using reverse gear.

Where some confusion comes in is that to ensure the Auto Hubs 'automatically unlock' after 4WD is deselected the vehicle should be driven a car length or two in the 'reverse direction'.

IE if you were driving forward then you deselect 4WD and drive in reverse OR if you were driving in reverse (IE backing out of a mudhole or whatever) then you deselect 4WD and drive forward a car length or two.

Agree with ET on this one, that's how my factory auto hubs worked before I took the auto locking mechanism out.

Gerrit Loubser
24th September 2011, 01:44 PM
I agree with the two previous posters: autohubs are definitely able to transfer drive torque in the forward and reverse directions.

When changing drive direction, the autohubs do disengage and re-engage, though (you will hear them clicking as this happens). I believe this to be the reason for the manual "lock" position on the autohub selector: In the rough it is possible that the direction of torque experienced by the autohub can vary (sometimes quite rapidly) as wheels loose and regain traction. This leads to high shock loads inside the autohubs as they cam out and in in response. Selecting the "lock" position prevents this by ensuring the autohubs remain engaged.

My policy is to only leave the autohubs on auto for normal tar and dirt road driving. Anything more hectic sees the wheel brace come out and "lock" selected on the autohubs.

the evil twin
24th September 2011, 10:43 PM
........ My policy is to only leave the autohubs on auto for normal tar and dirt road driving. Anything more hectic sees the wheel brace come out and "lock" selected on the autohubs.

Pls excuse the snip.

X2. That is exactly the right way to operate a vehicle with 'auto' hubs IMHO. :thumbup:

Not that you need them on tar but I know what you mean... :smile:

Random
8th October 2011, 01:48 PM
quick question, i have two little locks on the front one inside either wheel, they say lock on one side and free on the other, is this the manual lock?
also inside the car is a switch with diff lock on or off, is this another lock, or is it part of the two locks at the front,
the car is a 89 gq/maverick

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2011, 02:05 PM
quick question, i have two little locks on the front one inside either wheel, they say lock on one side and free on the other, is this the manual lock?
also inside the car is a switch with diff lock on or off, is this another lock, or is it part of the two locks at the front,
the car is a 89 gq/maverick

Oh lucky you!!!! Your on a winner there mate.

You have Manual hubs by the sounds of it....Can you turn them by hand from Free to Lock and back with your fingers? then they are manuals and a great thing.

Your inside switch indicated that you have a Factory Diff Lock in the rear Diff. you do not have an LSD but rather the Vacuum diff lock that nissan offered as an option. YOur a lucky bugger. You will not need an ARB Air locker in the back. you have a factory fitted jobby. DO NOT press that switch on Bitumen.

NewDan
9th October 2011, 12:54 AM
Hi Guys, Just to clarify as im new to this and also a bit confused... mine also have an Auto/lock position on them... so all i need to do is engage 4wd ( ie: either 4H or 4L) from inside and start driving and the hubs will automatically lock in ? and as for the factory rear locker just move the switch to on when required and its done?

-ET 4wd-
9th October 2011, 11:59 PM
OK , im pretty sure they didnt work in reverse as they are on a 'rachet' style thing??...well mine didnt, so i junked them and went to manuals!
As for yours NewDan, if they have 'Auto' and 'Lock' on the hub with a bolt in the middle then they are auto hubs.
If you are doin anything a bit more hardcore than drivin along a dirt road then you should turn them to 'lock' with ya wheel brace.
Only really use ya diff lock when ya realise the back wheels have lost traction, only use it for as long as ya need to then turn it off to make sure you dont accidently leave it on which can cause the diff and the axles undue stress if you try to change direction.
Your a lucky man havin a rig with a factory difflock, they are very sought after and damn near bulletproof,

Have fun mate,

Steve.

NewDan
10th October 2011, 10:16 AM
Many thanks for that Steve, and yeah cool to have the diff lock..... didn't know it came with it till I took it for its first test drive so you can imagine the smile that came on my face during the first test drive when my missus pointed to the switch and said " what does diff lock mean" lol.
Dan

yakumo
18th October 2011, 02:24 AM
Never heard of manual hubs being a bad thing :)

NewDan
18th October 2011, 11:51 AM
Rather than changing auto hubs to manual whats the problem with leaving them as they are and just treating them as manual and getting out and locking them, isnt that the same effect or is there someting I don't know?

tiggar03
19th October 2011, 11:17 AM
yeah mate id stick to manual hubs at least you know they are gunna stay in. an have heard a massive bang when a mate was trying to go up a hill rolled back an had another go at it an the auto hubs had disengaged then engaged again with a bang

tinkerer
11th January 2012, 01:07 AM
Guys,
My Y60 seems to have front hubs that look like they cannot be engaged or otherwise as there is no Auto or Manual on them. There is the switch for Diff Lock on the dash and I think there should have been Auto Hubs on the front, but that does not seem to be the case.. Any ideas??
Regards,
Stephen.

tinkerer
17th January 2012, 01:04 AM
Ok guys, Update on the Auto Hub situation. There are Auto Hubs fitted but the last owner removed something out of one of them as it was making some 'noise' when driving, he has misplaced the item, so I am looking for a replacement.
I have removed the hubs to see the difference and I will try to describe the problem.
When you remove the retaining bolts for the hubs and withdraw the assembly, it comes away and there is a loose part fitted between. I understand that this is the part. (I will clean up the Hubs and post a photo of the offending item when I can). What I need to know is, can this part still be bought (at a reasonable price) from Nissan? Sorry for the rather vague description, but I hope someone can understand my ramblings...

Thanks,
Stephen.

YNOT
17th January 2012, 06:51 AM
Ok guys, Update on the Auto Hub situation. There are Auto Hubs fitted but the last owner removed something out of one of them as it was making some 'noise' when driving, he has misplaced the item, so I am looking for a replacement.
I have removed the hubs to see the difference and I will try to describe the problem.
When you remove the retaining bolts for the hubs and withdraw the assembly, it comes away and there is a loose part fitted between. I understand that this is the part. (I will clean up the Hubs and post a photo of the offending item when I can). What I need to know is, can this part still be bought (at a reasonable price) from Nissan? Sorry for the rather vague description, but I hope someone can understand my ramblings...

Thanks,
Stephen.

This thread may help you; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs

Tony

tinkerer
19th January 2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks Tony, I'm fairly new to this forum, so all help gratefully received..
Stephen.

Tobes
23rd April 2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys :)