PDA

View Full Version : Does This look After-market???

teleman
20th September 2011, 08:20 PM
Hey all. Just a quick one... The switch in the top right corner seems to be after-market to me.
If anyone has one of these or has done one of these it would be helpful cause... The switch does NOTHING.
The plan is to use it for some driving lights. Any way, have a look and let me know.

beansathome
20th September 2011, 08:22 PM
pull it out and have a look if its wired in. do u have spotties on ?? u might have all the wireing for the spotlights just no lights

belzi82
20th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Hey all. Just a quick one... The switch in the top right corner seems to be after-market to me.
If anyone has one of these or has done one of these it would be helpful cause... The switch does NOTHING.
The plan is to use it for some driving lights. Any way, have a look and let me know.

I have a switch that looks similar in the exact same spot and it is for my driving lights~

AB
20th September 2011, 08:25 PM
Definitely take it out and have a look where it goes. It may just save you a lot of time if the work's already done.

Let us know how you go mate.

teleman
20th September 2011, 08:31 PM
Sick. That would make my life much easier. hehe. \

Cheers all. :)

Finly Owner
20th September 2011, 10:04 PM
OK Teleman, I take it with a name like that you can fiddle with switches and wiring easily? Pry it out gently and check for wires as mention by others. Then go to under bonnet and have a look for 4 wires either with spade terminals or cut. They may be tucked away or just sitting waiting for connection.

Tim

fullbost
20th September 2011, 10:08 PM
thats weird im pretty sure me dash dimmer control is in that spot on me gu

philws
21st September 2011, 04:46 PM
I have the exact same switch, I just got my bus so have no idea what it does (2003 GUIII) does you light (in button) come on when you switch it? mine does.

katwoman
21st September 2011, 05:44 PM
thats weird im pretty sure me dash dimmer control is in that spot on me gu

x2, in my GU.. Is dash dimmer switch..

philws
21st September 2011, 05:52 PM
here is mine, will have to investigate further to see what it does

Bagheera
21st September 2011, 09:25 PM
2003 GUIII ST-L and mine looks like the above, with a different switch in the upper right. It was a blank until I swapped it out for a 3-way switch for my work light. Put the switch there so I could reach through the window to turn on/off the work light easily without having to climb into the cab.

Dimmer switch is on the dash just to the left of the steering column, with the driving lights switch (factory steel bar with IPF 900s) next to it.

You should be able to pop the switch out and check for cabling. If you can't, then remove the lower dash panel below it (one screw on the LHS bottom, 2 screws in each of the pull tabs for bonnet and fuel filler, then lift up from the bottom) and you should be able to look up past the fuse panel into the void behind that switch plate.

wildgu6
21st September 2011, 10:18 PM
Definately an after market buddy, what its for ???? could be as mentioned above for driving lights that you dont have ??
I have one similar but its different spot for sub tank, as original sub tank switch needs resetting every time i use turbo timer,
Too hard so it stays luminated and i just use the after market switch

teleman
22nd September 2011, 10:16 PM
Nah man. The light does not come on, so thats one of the reasons why i thought it was a half finished job.

the godfather
22nd September 2011, 10:20 PM
My dimmer is there as well. Are you sure it doesn't turn your dash lights off or on?

teleman
22nd September 2011, 10:30 PM
OK Teleman, I take it with a name like that you can fiddle with switches and wiring easily? Pry it out gently and check for wires as mention by others. Then go to under bonnet and have a look for 4 wires either with spade terminals or cut. They may be tucked away or just sitting waiting for connection.

Tim

You would be correct Tim. I will post findings in the next 3 days.../ when i have time off... hehe. and still need to get the nads going...
Cheers.

webmast3r
22nd September 2011, 10:40 PM
mate i'd say the old switch got pushed in too far and its been replaced with a new one, def looks out of place but the only way you'll know what its for is if you pull it out... tinker tinker tinker

jimako
28th September 2011, 09:40 AM
Mine has the dimmer on that spot also, and the cruise on / off switch just below it.
I think some models also came out without a dimmer, that switch is definately aftermarket,
most likely for lights or something.

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 12:56 PM
I had the same switch in the same spot it was for spot lights, it was good i didnt have to do new wiring

teleman
13th October 2011, 10:21 PM
SO, i popped the switch out and found it was a;l wired up!!! I then popped the bonet and scouted around. I found the same wires sealed and cut short in the top left hand side of the engine bay. Looks to me like ive got a half finished drivng light job. Woo Hoo. Less work for me!!! :)

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 10:37 PM
SO, i popped the switch out and found it was a;l wired up!!! I then popped the bonet and scouted around. I found the same wires sealed and cut short in the top left hand side of the engine bay. Looks to me like ive got a half finished drivng light job. Woo Hoo. Less work for me!!! :)

Good stuff mate - either half finished or removed previously - either way, less work for you as said!!!

wildgu6
13th October 2011, 10:39 PM

Good work buddy, set of lights and your away............LMFAO not at you buddy at me,
had my troll 2-3 yrs, have a switch bottom of console and never used it and never traced it either,
maybe i should........

teleman
25th October 2011, 10:42 PM
Good work buddy, set of lights and your away............LMFAO not at you buddy at me,
had my troll 2-3 yrs, have a switch bottom of console and never used it and never traced it either,
maybe i should........

True that.
Ha nice one Wild. Lets know what you find. lol. :)