PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery wiring systems

katwoman
20th September 2011, 06:31 PM
What do you have and what is it's good points and bad.

How is it set up, and what would you change?

Piccies as well, please !

patch697
20th September 2011, 07:33 PM
I run one of these in mine & have set them up in probably 20 or 30 others.

A top reliable unit at a very good price.

http://redarc.com.au/products-and-services/sbi-series-dual-battery-isolator

Redarc sell a whole rage of products for many applications & there stuff is good so you'll be sure to fine something to suit your needs.

Woof
20th September 2011, 08:03 PM
x2..go Redarc

big_fletch
20th September 2011, 10:20 PM
X3 Same as Patch and Doggie!! I Run the Redarc personally, and fitted countless of them at work and they are hard to be beaten for the price.. Im also pretty sure they have a 2 Year Warranty, as well as being an Australian Company

Fletcha

katwoman
21st September 2011, 05:56 AM
redarc it is then.. Thanks guys

katwoman
21st September 2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-DUAL-BATTERY-CHARGER-SOLINOID-ISOLATOR-SADDLE-/290609915972?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9b36844#ht_1212wt_1139

So, this will do the job ?

Sir Roofy
21st September 2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/redarc-dual-battery-charger-solinoid-isolator-saddle-/290609915972?pt=au_car_parts_accessories&hash=item43a9b36844#ht_1212wt_1139

so, this will do the job ?

thas what i have for my fridge but i also have a circit braker as well

patch697
21st September 2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-DUAL-BATTERY-CHARGER-SOLINOID-ISOLATOR-SADDLE-/290609915972?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9b36844#ht_1212wt_1139

So, this will do the job ?

Thats the one I instal.

The only feature I don't use is the duel start. This is a built in feature that links your two batteries together if your primary battery is flat so you can start the engine. (sort of like jump starting yourself without jumper leads)

I think the unit is great,( I run one in my own Rig as said) but I think using the start smart feature will shorten the life of the unit so I wire in a separate duel start system & let the redarc just take care of the batteries.

I'd advise you to do the same but you don't need to wire up a separate duel start, simply just carry a set of jumper leads & if you ever need to you can just jump start yourself off the second battery.

You will also need battery cable & eyelets. For this I recommend 13mm. Its also recommended to run the battery isolator close to your second battery but I have run them close to either & in the middle of the circuit with no difference in voltage drop of performance of the unit.

katwoman
21st September 2011, 09:18 AM
Excellent stuff. !! Thx Patch, you're a legend !

the godfather
21st September 2011, 02:19 PM
To break the trend. I am not a fan of the SmartStart. I find they lack versatility. I much prefer the Colhersie switch with the both option on it. Yes it is manual and requires turning the dial, but it gives you an option of battery A, batthery B, battery off, and both batteries. Great if you need to jump something else. Of courseyour choice will depend on what other battery you are running.
If your second battery is Deep Cycle then a SmartStart is fine. They are only good for accessories so you cant start off them anyway. (well you can but it will cause electrical problems somewhere). But if you want to start your car as well then use a normal battery and a Manual switch.

katwoman
21st September 2011, 02:44 PM
To break the trend. I am not a fan of the SmartStart. I find they lack versatility. I much prefer the Colhersie switch with the both option on it. Yes it is manual and requires turning the dial, but it gives you an option of battery A, batthery B, battery off, and both batteries. Great if you need to jump something else. Of courseyour choice will depend on what other battery you are running.
If your second battery is Deep Cycle then a SmartStart is fine. They are only good for accessories so you cant start off them anyway. (well you can but it will cause electrical problems somewhere). But if you want to start your car as well then use a normal battery and a Manual switch.

I am really only running the winch off the second battery, but I'm sure more acc will appear over time !
Thanks for your input.