PDA

View Full Version : Shreq. A mid life crisis

twisty
19th September 2011, 10:48 PM
It’s my great pleasure to present “Shreq”.

Purchased June 2011, Shreq is a ’98 GU1 with 192,000 km on the clock, auto, 4.5l dual fuel (petrol/lpg) and a broken radio. I was only looking for a 4x4 with duel fuel and auto and think I did okay.

11429 11430

I want this to be a record of the build and the decisions that I make. I’ll update the original post as the build progresses. All pictures are in my albums (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?3115-twisty).

Problems so far. None. Except ... the speedo reads slow, about 10%. I also suspect I have a rear locker diff due to the “shudder” on tight corners on tar (edit. HG39 diffs fitted LSD rear). I suspect Shreq has had bigger feet in the past and this may account for the rear diff. Perhaps Shreq was previously owned by someone with some idea.

Favourite mod so far. The sun visor and window tinting. I like the look and the protection provided (shade on my hands from the visor). I had a sun visor on my old WB Statesman and loved it.

Modifications so far.

New radio. Sony DSX-S100.
Wool seat covers.
Weather shields left and right.
Recovery gear. Haymen Reece tow hitch, 4500kg + 3000kg snatch straps, 2x 4500kg bow shackles, equaliser strap.
Uniden UHF. 2x 2watt 80 channel handheld.
150 l/m 12v air compressor.
Rear air deflector. Genuine Nissan.
600w inverter. ALDI.
Fire extinguisher BCF.com.au
RHINO-RACK Pioneer Platform Roof Rack 2100x1400. Front/Side hoop rails. Six brackets.
Awning
Window tinting
New Battery
Door open light (in dash) flickers on/off. Fixed DIY. RHS barn door (big) bottom support bracket rubber distorted. Tape up but requires new rubber.
Sun Visor
Ironman roof top tent
Cargo Barrier.
Uniden 80 channel UHF
Front recovery points
Tail light xmas tree.
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions – Extreme with Nomad valve body
Heavy Duty 3 Core copper radiator with brass tanks
Snorkel

8906 11431

Wish list, rough costs and notes.

Dual Battery system
Barn door extension and gas struts.
Extend diffs, gear box, transfer box breathers.
Under body armour. Harris Hardcase (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3470-Gq-gu-bolt-on-no-weld-diff-guards-quot-harris-hardcase-quot).
2” heavy load (heavy duty) suspension lift kit
Braided brake lines
Rock sliders. Use square tube instead of round tube. Square tube is three times stiffer than round tube. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=558981
Winch bar
Winch
Front diff locker
Long range Aux fuel tank, as the gas tank takes the place of the original petrol tank, 80 litre http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=25

Stay tuned :thumbup:

Gerrit Loubser
19th September 2011, 11:09 PM
... the speedo reads fast, about 10%.
On most cars the speedo is a little optimistic, often to the tune of 10% or so, but tyre size does directly affect this of course. What size tyres are currently on your Troll? You might find that you have 245/70R16s or something instead of the standard 265/70R16s or 275/70R16s. Shreq does look a little long and low in the piccies :smile: .

I can tell you that my speedo is just about spot on with 285/75R16s fitted.

Also do a bit of a check of the odometer accuracy (ideally against a GPS). You might find that the odometer is rather less optimistic than the speedo, so bear that in mind once you have fitted bigger tyres when calculating fuel consumption (and service intervals, I suppose).

I also suspect I have a rear locker diff due to the “shudder” on tight corners on tar.
You should be able to figure this one out by lifting one of the rear wheels off the ground and supporting the axle on a trestle (remember to chock the wheels that remain on the ground so that the vehicle can not roll). Place the transmission in neutral, release the park brake and crawl under the vehicle. Now try to rotate the rear propshaft by hand. If you have an autolocker in there, it will lock up and you won't be able to rotate the propshaft once the play has been taken up.

twisty
19th September 2011, 11:22 PM
On most cars the speedo is a little optimistic, often to the tune of 10% or so, but tyre size does directly affect this of course. What size tyres are currently on your Troll? Also do a bit of a check of the odometer accuracy (ideally against a GPS).

You should be able to figure this one out by lifting one of the rear wheels off the ground and supporting the axle on a trestle (remember to chock the wheels that remain on the ground so that the vehicle can not roll). Place the transmission in neutral, release the park brake and crawl under the vehicle. Now try to rotate the rear propshaft by hand. If you have an autolocker in there, it will lock up and you won't be able to rotate the propshaft once the play has been taken up.

Thanks Gerrit. My first error, the speedo reads 10% slow (original post ammended) and I've confirmed against my gps. Perhaps a previous owner had bigger feet on.

Currently tyres are 265/70R16, however, I like Kats solution below to solve the speedo problem. The 2nd pic is a crop from a panoramic pic and does look long and low. Not much I can do about the length but height WILL be ... adjusted :-)

Next time Shreq is wheels up I'll test as you suggest.

Thanks for looking.

Gerrit Loubser
19th September 2011, 11:27 PM
Ah, OK. Perhaps a previous owner had the speedo re-geared or something.

I am obviously not that familiar with the used Patrol market in Aussie, but $11,000 does not sound like a lot of money for the amount of vehicle that you bought yourself. Shreq looks tidy :thumbup: .

patch697
19th September 2011, 11:40 PM
Nice rig twisty, I hope I have a mid life crisis just like it.......hahahaha

My speedo is also out by about 5 or 6 ks ( if the speedo reads 100 im only doing 94/95) also checked off my sate nav.

Im tipping you have an LSD (limited slip differential) fitted as these are quite common in Patrols & will get a bit of shutter on occasions when cornering.

I will watch this build with interest.

katwoman
20th September 2011, 06:50 AM
Very very nice. Katrol's speedo was same. Went from 31s to 33s. Problem fixed.

Maxhead
20th September 2011, 07:04 AM
Shreq looks good Twisty, and looks like the mods are coming along nicely.
You won't notice the speedo being out when you're up at the Brindies...lol

twisty
20th September 2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks y'all. I'm pretty happy with Shreq. With plenty more mods to come I'll be busy ... and mostly broke.

Im tipping you have an LSD (limited slip differential) fitted as these are quite common in Patrols & will get a bit of shutter on occasions when cornering.

My mechanic told me it's a locker but ... I don't believe I would be that lucky. Either way I'm happy.

Katrol's speedo was same. Went from 31s to 33s. Problem fixed.

Thanks Kat, my prefered solution as well ;-)

You won't notice the speedo being out when you're up at the Brindies...lol

hehehe ... speedo not required in 4x4. aahh ... the Brindies are calling ... "twisty, twisty, come scratch your new visor"

AB
20th September 2011, 09:33 AM
Very nice mate, looking forward to seeing Shreq grow!!!

Sir Roofy
20th September 2011, 10:17 AM
Like it mate, not sure about the visor tho like the theroy but not the drag

Ben-e-boy
20th September 2011, 10:42 AM
If you rear diff is shuddering the previous owner must have put a 140w diff in the does improve lsd function a bit. i do an I can chirp my 35 inch muddies on the black top

twisty
20th September 2011, 01:36 PM
Like it mate, not sure about the visor tho like the theroy but not the drag

drag? roofy ... you're kidding ... right? what drag? lol. I'll give shreq some drag when the roof top tent goes on :-)

I think the visor makes shreq ... unique. Who else has one?

Sir Roofy
20th September 2011, 01:43 PM
drag? Roofy ... You're kidding ... Right? What drag? Lol. I'll give shreq some drag when the roof top tent goes on :-)

i think the visor makes shreq ... Unique. Who else has one?

your right about unique no argument there, i thought there would be some resisants with air flow

twisty
20th September 2011, 05:26 PM
your right about unique no argument there, i thought there would be some resisants with air flow

Every bit of external bling adds to drag for sure. The visor is mesh

and fairly streamlined. I've never had one rattle, move or fall off. We have them on EVERY farm vehicle (5). To be honest, I never considered drag. It would be so small to be almost irrelevant.

I've had a sun visor on all my cars except one. :bowdown: I Luv em!! They reduce heat and give my hands some shade when driving.

katwoman
20th September 2011, 05:37 PM
next, you'll be putting on venetian blinds and a crocheted rug on the back seat..haha..
Sorry, the other half luvs 'em too !!! Wanted to put one on my XM and I said NO !!!

Sir Roofy
20th September 2011, 05:43 PM
Every bit of external bling adds to drag for sure. The visor is mesh

and fairly streamlined. I've never had one rattle, move or fall off. We have them on EVERY farm vehicle (5). To be honest, I never considered drag. It would be so small to be almost irrelevant.

I've had a sun visor on all my cars except one. :bowdown: I Luv em!! They reduce heat and give my hands some shade when driving.

your visa is not what i thought it was thought it was solid
ah well,ever thought about testing for economy ,drive a100ks with it on then the same with it off see what difference in fuel there is
not a lot id expect but would be interesting

twisty
20th September 2011, 06:29 PM
next, you'll be putting on venetian blinds and a crocheted rug on the back seat..haha..

I'm half way there ...

:049: And if you think that's funny, wait till the snorkel goes on with the inlet facing backwards! :cool:

your visa is not what i thought it was thought it was solid
ah well,ever thought about testing for economy ,drive a100ks with it on then the same with it off see what difference in fuel there is. not a lot id expect but would be interesting

I've been thinking about this roofy and realised I've already done a test (of sorts). I keep a fuel log on the gps and filled up today. A full tank (lpg= about 300km) of normal driving with the visor on. before visor 24.73 l/km, after 24.15 l/km. ppfffttt ... go figure.

You can get solid visors as easily as the mesh. Just gotta paint them, bugga that. I like the chrome anyway :thumbup:

Silver
20th September 2011, 07:26 PM
perhaps the LSD shudder is because the oil used did not have Limslip additive?

Sir Roofy
20th September 2011, 07:46 PM
I'm half way there ...

:049: And if you think that's funny, wait till the snorkel goes on with the inlet facing backwards! :cool:

I've been thinking about this roofy and realised I've already done a test (of sorts). I keep a fuel log on the gps and filled up today. A full tank (lpg= about 300km) of normal driving with the visor on. before visor 24.73 l/km, after 24.15 l/km. ppfffttt ... go figure.

You can get solid visors as easily as the mesh. Just gotta paint them, bugga that. I like the chrome anyway :thumbup:

ARE YOU 4.5 OR 4.8
IM 4.5 AND GETTING 18LPER 100Ks WITH OUT A VISOR OH DUAL FUEL ALSO,WITH THE TRAILER ON IS ABOUT 20

BUT SOME GAS IS BETTER THAN OTHERS,I CAN GET 4OO OUT OF MINE PUSH IT A BIT AND 426Ks OUT OF THE LPG TANK

twisty
20th September 2011, 08:47 PM
ARE YOU 4.5 OR 4.8
IM 4.5 AND GETTING 18LPER 100Ks WITH OUT A VISOR OH DUAL FUEL ALSO,WITH THE TRAILER ON IS ABOUT 20

BUT SOME GAS IS BETTER THAN OTHERS,I CAN GET 4OO OUT OF MINE PUSH IT A BIT AND 426Ks OUT OF THE LPG TANK

Shreq is 4.5 as well. 18 l/100km ... wow. I've had the gas checked and a professional service this month and I'm told that all is in good order! I'm a big fella but I'd hate to find out I was the cause of excessive fuel consumption :-( At about a 20% fuel saving I'll investigate further. I don't know what could cause such a large difference though. I've got no draws, steel, armour or large tanks.

Silver ... thanks for the advice. I'll get it checked.

edit -

I checked the fuel consumption records on the gps and discovered an overall average of 18l/100km. what?

I always enter fuel use details at the pump into the gps and when I tell it i'm done it always tells me an average of 23-25l/100km for that tank of fuel (lpg).

I think my fuel economy is about right after reading this consumption / economy thread (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1757-Fuel-consumption-economy-report&highlight=fuel+economy).

twisty
10th October 2011, 09:21 PM
Just had the Ironman roof top tent delivered and installed for $1650. Came with an annex as well. Took two of them almost 3 hours to fit. Very happy. Original post updated.

NissanGQ4.2
10th October 2011, 09:33 PM
nice........I'm jealous!!!

growler2058
10th October 2011, 10:48 PM
I wouldnt really know, but that sounds like a damn fine price an looks bloody awesome mate, av to be happy with that

DX grunt
10th October 2011, 11:01 PM
Great truck.

I gave up pricing things a while ago. Buying the troll was the cheapest part of my investment. lol

Enjoy

Take care out there.

Rossco

Finly Owner
10th October 2011, 11:48 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Shreq. Nice setup!

Tim

twisty
11th October 2011, 06:21 PM
Great truck.
I gave up pricing things a while ago. Buying the troll was the cheapest part of my investment. lol

Thanks, and yup, more than shreqs purchase price will be spent on mods. I'm glad my wife works :thumbup:

Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Shreq. Nice setup!

Shreq thanks you for your kindness ...

Well ... the day after the tent was tested it was time to repack and get Shreq ready for the coming touring season. I knew I wouldn't be happy trying to pack everything I wanted to carry with no draws. I hate the way I had to sit stuff in layers. Bugga ... I sat and had a beer or two with the supervisor and pondered ... all I need for the moment is a shelf ... tada

Simple (3 pieces mdf, 4 angle brackets, 2 steel door hinges). Cheap $0 (everything was in the shed). Easy (one hour construction). All the recovery gear, tools, HR tongues, jacks etc. Above is my favourite chair, tent annex and other soft stuff. It's temporary but I'm already happier.

Clunk
11th October 2011, 06:55 PM
great work so far Twisty, good onya mate

patch697
11th October 2011, 07:13 PM
Love the roof top twisty, I intend to invest in one myself one day.

Also like the shelf mate, bloody damn sight cheaper option then the draws & easy to remove when needed. That cargo barrier will keep it all in the back & your lot safely up the front.

Thanks for the pics.

twisty
11th October 2011, 08:58 PM
In all my excitement about the other bling I forgot about these ... front recovery points, $120 the pair, and aussie made. So with the HR recovery hitch and these fitted there are all the quality recovery points (with bow shackles) needed for less than $200.

Why wouldn't you? Serious or not they beat a towball. Only one problem ...

THEY DON'T FIT!!!

so ... tomorrow back to the shop for an explanation :furious:

so ... I was shown where they fit and I was told to either bend the bullbar bracket or shim out the upper bolts to fit the recovery points. WTF? I'll post pics when I get over my concern and investigate further.

edit again ... they do fit but the bullbar bracket needs a small piece cut out. My mechanic says $100 to fit. edit ... fixed and fitted, see next page.

Dark 1
11th October 2011, 09:22 PM
Aahhhhh a fellow roof topper. Looks the goods mate keep the photos coming.

twisty
10th November 2011, 09:27 PM
Our first proper camp out. Shrek, the lady Fiona and myself headed to "Flea Creek" for an "overnighter".

9783 9785

a few points we noted. the mattress needs upgrading for my arthritic joints (getting old sux ... sometimes). ALWAYS put the tent up first (if staying overnight) otherwise tent erection must be completed from inside the tent. A fan in the tent would be GOOD! Take more pictures.

Some fire pics.

9784 9786

Leighw85
12th November 2011, 12:47 AM
Love the setup mate. Top stuff.
Im looking at getting myself a rooftop tent soon. Perfect for the overnighters at the beach.

twisty
15th November 2011, 12:17 PM
The front recovery points are fitted. I had my mechanic do the hard work. $100 :clapping:

There are only two bolts fitted at the moment but a third will be fitted with packing washers. A small section needs to ground and cut from the bullbar mounting bracket (each side) for correct fitment.

9947 9948 10185 9949

How tuff is that!

twisty
23rd November 2011, 08:13 PM
While out and about recently I broke the rhr indicator :mad: In fact it was hanging by the electrical loom after a particularly steep exit. It had been "repaired" with silastic by a previous owner :animierte-smilies-f Cleaned all the gunk away and it is now held by three screws.

So while I was at it I replaced the dummy lights as well. Now it looks "balanced". :wink:

10192 10189 10190 10191http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/misc/pencil.png

twisty
6th January 2012, 07:00 PM

Not a bad spot for a breakdown

Sorry about the length ... but there is a bit to tell. And I left bits out.

A recent two night camping trip to Lowells Flat delivered a learning opportunity for this new family of 4wd travellers. I write this to thank and acknowledge all those who willingly involved themselves in our recent ... uummm ... close call.

Shreqs’ new mum, my Lady Fiona, was keen on “camping” but I had resisted. In short, I relented. But how do I go about this? So, a new members of the Southern Tablelands 4WD Club (ST4WDC) was conceived (July 2011). A roof top tent and annex, awning and fly screen are purchased, fitted and used. We’ve done the basic course (a big thanks to the training team led by Peter) and ONE club trip. We’ve “camped” at Flea Creek, ONCE, and travelled Gentle Annie, maybe half a dozen times.

We have three days off and I’ve planned this. McIntyres Hut, or very close. A recon of the area was conducted only weeks before during a ST4WDC “Brindabella Classic” trip. I knew the track, I knew the conditions and knew my Lady would over cater. I let family know where we were going and when we expected to be back. All I had to do now was get us there, set up, pack up, and get us home. Easy.

Nope, not the way it happened.

11433 Shreq F@rting!!! :kewlpics:

We spent two brilliant nights camping. Relaxing, entertaining and peaceful. I got sunburnt despite my Lady’s attention, and she paddled in the River. We laughed at a bunch of (four) young men playing “silly buggers” floating down river. I had unplugged the fridge when we first got here and ran it the next day off a large portable battery we had. We were going home tomorrow anyway. We got rained on both nights just before sunset. My Lady still cooked, under an umbrella. Nice.

Tuesday morning and time to pack for home. It’s all good. Awake early, sort of, and start the pack up after my coffee. On time and ready for an 11am departure, home by 2pm.

“Oh baby, I’ll just start Shreq before we’re finished to warm up a before the climb out”. Damn Karma!

“Okay” ... “I don’t want to leave” ... “can we come back?”

“Sure”.

Shreq ... turns over but does not start. I’m still coming to grips with the cold start peculiarities that Shreq imposes on me. It’s no big thing ... try again ...

Raaa ... raaa ... raaa, raaa ... raaa ... raaa raaa ... raaa ... raaa raaa ... raaa ... raaa

Nothing. The battery would spin this 4.5 litre beast all day, well, almost. Try again, but this time I’m a bit concerned.

Raaa ... raaa ... raaa, Raaa ... raaa ... raaa Raaa ... raaa ... raaa Raaa ... raaa ... raaa

Don’t panic. Remember what Peter told us on the basic course ... left foot brake ... no, no, no ... uuummm ... don’t panic. I think we have a problem. I try to start Shreq every five minutes and begin my diagnostics. No fridge (died), and food going off, no beer.

Bugga. Now Karma kicks in, sort of.

Andy and his three friends (remember the young guys we laughed at) could hear Shreq trying to start. Andrew stayed and helped me fault find, test and try. Nothing. The conclusion at 1pm (two hours) was dire. We’d checked for spark; okay. A check revealed a blown fuel pump fuse and replaced by Andy from HIS spares. Now I’m embarrassed. A fuse. But still no start. Likely suspect is now the fuel pump. We had checked the fuel lines while disconnected and found no fuel being pumped.

Bugga. I write all the relevant information down. Andy has agreed to make some calls for us. Now this might sound a bit ... odd ... for a man my age but, I gave Andrew my mums’ number. If anyone was going to get things happening, it was my mum. A farmer and farmers wife for most of her life, mum was my “go to” hitter. So we waved good bye to Andrew with our precious notes and best wishes. Ring mum, the mechanic, and the club, in that order. Now we wait.

This was the worst bit for me. Knowing the message had gone out (in a bottle) and hoping we might have some reply, sometime. So I sat and pondered, but eventually resigned myself that we would be camping again for one more night. I rechecked all my checks and tried to start Shreq again. Nope. Now I start considering our worst case scenario, recovery. No engine = no power brakes or steering, and, auto = no engine breaking. The idea of being towed out is, awful. Lets hope someone can bring a fuel pump.

Then Ranger Dave appeared about 3pm. What a relief.

“Are you okay?” I sob my tale of unfairness, bad luck and karma. He takes my details and, radios “base”. A dialog is quickly established and “base” now has ALL the info. Base rings my mum. While a communication protocol is being established between my mum, “base”, Dave the Ranger and us, Dave checks McIntyres Hut and returns to update us on planned rescues.

Our mechanic wants to help but doesn’t think an onsite repair is feasible. Mum has also contacted the ST4WDC. The message is ...

“Help is on the way ... tomorrow”.

Phew ... let this sink in. The best bit for me is knowing our SOS got through. And right there is Ranger Dave, telling us that we WILL be checked on again tomorrow. Do we have water, food? We have ample of both. Dave sits with us in the shade and we chat now. We talk about the river and who is using it, road closures and other camping sites. “Club members huh ...” Dave questions. “Yup, recently though” and I explain our history. Dave nods, “yeah, Peter did our training a while ago”. Funny that. It can be a small world.

Resigned to another night in the tent we wave goodbye to Dave the Ranger. He passes just out of site over the hill. I’m up from my chair and ready to fold the tent out and organise for the night. 5pm.

“Honey ... “ my Lady calls. “Why don’t you it try it again”

Yeah ... women. I’ve been trying for almost six hours now! Feeding fuel into the injectors by tube and trying to pressurise the fuel system with the tyre compressor. I’ve tried.

“Yeah ... let’s give it a go. Wouldn’t it be funny if ...”

Shreq ... Raaa ... raaa ... raaa ...vroom.

YOU ARE KIDDING!

Pack up, quick! Select 4wd low and go. I know we have a PETROL problem related to the fuel pump, so, we’re on gas and I know it isn’t enough to get us home. Will we make the black top? Back up Waterfall, left via Webbs Ridge onto Dingi Ridge (call mum when we have reception to), then Blue Range Hut and get lost (stupid GPS). Keep heading down hill until ... tar ... blacktop ... Brindabella road.

The End (and finally)

We are home safe by 7.30pm with a quick stop at the NEAREST lpg outlet. It is only now as I make calls to cancel any planned rescue that I start to comprehend the wheels I (and mum) had set in motion.

I’m pleased to say that, today, my expectations of others have been exceeded. Andrew for his help, concern and reliability. Dave; for his support and professionalism. My Lady for her patience with my volatile nature. And my club.

By 8pm I had made all the calls I could to assure people of our safe return. The ST4WDC was last, intentionally. They receive my biggest thanks. There was already a group of club volunteers (organised by the president) leaving at 6.30am tomorrow to come tow us out.

I’m glad it wasn’t required but we’re ... stunned ... that our club came together so quickly to help such a new member. The club was going to tow a two and a half tonne LUMP that could not stop or turn some 35kms on grade 2/3 tracks. Consider us ... “gob smacked” and grateful.

Epilogue

Roadside assist arrived at 9am. A spray can of carby cleaner goes down Shreqs throat and away we go off to the mechanic. A couple of hours on a hoist and $300 (fuel pump) later Shreq is all patched up, easy. He even gets a drink and wash (with cold water). I suspect my mood would be darker if we had to spend the third night camped.

And most of all too my mum, thank you. It’s great to know you’re there.

Just goes to show ... you can still get into trouble in your own backyard!

My biggest suggestion for anyone contemplating any remote area adventures. Join a club!

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2012, 07:24 PM
great story mate, think you should of stayed another night though

Clunk
6th January 2012, 07:40 PM
great tale mate, gotta love how helpful people are

twisty
6th January 2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks y'all,

Just amazing how much energy was used in those eight hours. I slept almost 11 hours last night. And ... yeah ... a good spot to break down.

clunk ... I'm still getting phone calls to check on progress. Like I said ... gob smacked!

Maxhead
6th January 2012, 09:45 PM
Good story mate. Glad it all turned out OK....well except the pump bill...lol

twisty
15th January 2012, 06:39 PM
Well, after our last adventure I decided that the old Maxxis tyres had to go. Sh!t, the fuel pump was only $300. New Bridgestone LT 265/75/16. $250 each at Costco with lifetime puncture repair/patch and 10k balance and rotate. Added 30mm to shreqs height. Beat that!

twisty
12th April 2012, 02:25 PM
Well, the old AT died (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging) so, in went a Wholesale Automatics Extreme with Nomad valve body and bronzed Torque Converter.

:thumbup:

The problem with the old one. The (stupid plastic) radiator sprung an internal leak in the tranny cooler section, pressurised the ATF system and mixed water with the ATF, then the AT died (took about two months). The radiator is bypassed for the moment and using the cooler only untill a new aluminium radiator is fitted.

On my GU the breathers are mounted inside the LH guard and can't been seen. Eventually I had a "mud" like liquid throughout the LH wheel arch that smelt and felt of oil but no obvious cause (till now).

So a word of warning to auto drivers with stupid plastic radiators. An internal leak can be EXPENSIVE! Better to spend a grand now than six later.

14736 14737

14738 14739

27179 27180

Now to get back out in the bush ... after I do a bit more work to replenish the toy fund!

Oversize
14th April 2012, 08:47 PM
G'Day Twisty, I just read your adventure and as a mum with five sons, I can relate. From my side of the fence, sons have a lot of knowledge and little experience. Us mums have a lot of experience and little knowledge (apparently). Your team works and that is a rare and wonderful thing. Give her another hug - you both deserve it.

twisty
14th April 2012, 08:57 PM
G'day Mechlou, yeah ... mums are the best. Hug passed on!

Malgreen
14th April 2012, 10:42 PM
great story and post Twisty.. thank you.