PDA

View Full Version : tb42 carby on hills

lg 91
18th September 2011, 02:31 PM
gday guys well i recently have brought a 89 swb patrol with a tb42 carby auto i havent had the cahnce to take it off road yet to see how it goes but a mate was saying i will have troubles with the carby on hills cause of the angle of the carb. iam new to petrol motors does any one have reports of theres stalling on hills just wanted to get abit of an idea before i take it out.

chears guys lg91

AB
18th September 2011, 06:52 PM
Can't help you on the carby questrion mate but hopefully someone can help you soon!

Silver
18th September 2011, 07:05 PM
my old L28 powered MQ's carbie used to stop working, but by that time it had also lost traction :-)

The LSD in most GQs should provide more traction and thus more angles, and then there's lockers..... :-)

I haven't had Silver on a big angle, yet :-) A lot of comp rigs run LPG to avoid this problem.

timbar
18th September 2011, 07:16 PM
i have never had any problems with my carby models on any hills

lg 91
18th September 2011, 07:25 PM
thanks for the repiles fellas. timbar do you run lpg or petty when 4wdn up hills

timbar
18th September 2011, 07:37 PM
these days i run lpg but have been a keen 4wder for many years 20+ without lpg and on petrol and never had a problem with it

lg 91
18th September 2011, 07:40 PM
thanks alot mate guess ill just have to get it out and see what it does.

taslucas
18th September 2011, 07:45 PM
I have a TB42 auto, have never had any problems with hills. My mate has a TB42 Maverick auto and has not had any problems with hills. Another mate used to have a TB42 manual and as far as i know didnt have any issues with hills. I have lpg also but dont use it much out 4wding as it not as powerful.

lg 91
18th September 2011, 07:50 PM
awsome thanks fellas just what i wanted to here.

patch697
18th September 2011, 09:30 PM
gday guys well i recently have brought a 89 swb patrol with a tb42 carby auto i havent had the cahnce to take it off road yet to see how it goes but a mate was saying i will have troubles with the carby on hills cause of the angle of the carb. iam new to petrol motors does any one have reports of theres stalling on hills just wanted to get abit of an idea before i take it out.

chears guys lg91

I have a TB42s (carby) in my GQ & this is news to me. I was of the understanding that replacing the factory carby with another type can course this problem but the factory carby was designed with this type of application in mind & to date I've not had this issue with my own.

lg 91
19th September 2011, 06:01 PM
good stuff fellas iam new to carby motors hopfuly ill be able to get it out on the weekend and see how it goes

growler2058
19th September 2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe a little bit off topic but a bloke I know has a 350chev in a hilux and had to has issues with steep uphill climbs as the floats are nth-sth and had to get a carb with east/west or similar. However I would think as above an offroad 4b motor surely takes this into account

taslucas
20th September 2011, 08:25 PM
Maybe a little bit off topic but a bloke I know has a 350chev in a hilux and had to has issues with steep uphill climbs as the floats are nth-sth and had to get a carb with east/west or similar. However I would think as above an offroad 4b motor surely takes this into account

A fairly common conversion is to put in a 350 holley. These apparently run better but they have issues with hills. Recarb use a 350 holley but convert it to a 330 with their special kit to elliminate the problem on hills (this may be the nth-sth to east west conversion?). this is designed for the TB42 engine.

But like i said earlier, i dont know of any issues that the original carby has on his.