PDA

View Full Version : steinbauer module? any other mods needed???

grimace
16th September 2011, 08:53 PM
g'day guys, i was looking into buying a steinbauer power-up module for my GU 2008 3L COMMONRAIL and was wondering if there would be anything else i would need to keep an eye on the engine so that i don't end up with a costly repair bill if something goes wrong. also have any of you blokes got one and if so how do they go. any info would be grouse, cheers....

snicko
16th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Hi grimace. I have one on my 2006 3L Non common rail. Its a good idea to have a boost guage and a Exhaust temp guage fitted preferably before you have the chip fitted. By doing this before the chip you will have an idea what the motor is doing.

cossack
16th September 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Grimace,
i've one fitted to our GU '05 3T/D for about 15 months now. It IS a must for towing a camper trailer. My advice is to keep the right boot off the pedal, and drive smoothly and you'll have NO problems.

Maxhead
16th September 2011, 09:12 PM
g'day guys, i was looking into buying a steinbauer power-up module for my GU 2008 3L COMMONRAIL and was wondering if there would be anything else i would need to keep an eye on the engine so that i don't end up with a costly repair bill if something goes wrong. also have any of you blokes got one and if so how do they go. any info would be grouse, cheers....

A bigger exhaust will compliment the chip nicely and as Snicko said make sure you install boost and EGT guages.

grimace
16th September 2011, 09:16 PM
yeah i will definately get onto that cheers snicko....

scotty83
17th September 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Grimace,
i've one fitted to our GU '05 3T/D for about 15 months now. It IS a must for towing a camper trailer. My advice is to keep the right boot off the pedal, and drive smoothly and you'll have NO problems.

What do you mean by this?? Is there issue if you boot it?

Maxhead
17th September 2011, 06:19 PM
What do you mean by this?? Is there issue if you boot it?

The common rails have a tendency to cut out(momenterly) when you put your boot in, especially up hill towing. It's just their way of preventing over boost( I thing)
When I first got mine I noticed it a lot, then with a bit of getting used to you'll soon learn how to drive them and prevent it from happening

What I do now is drive through the gears manually and you'll tow anything in hilly terrain.

I have no chip any more and a standard exhaust, couldn;t be any happier