PDA

View Full Version : A good towing hitch mod for those who have them.

patch697
15th September 2011, 12:20 PM
Here's a good mod for you all.

If you drill a hole into the very corner of your hitch receiver close to the opening & weld a high tensile nut over the hole to make it captive accompanied with a bolt to suit & an extra nut to use as a lock nut you can fit the hitch of your choice then tighten up the bolt in the captive nut & lock it up with the extra nut (lock nut) & all your rattles are gone.

Your hitch will not rattle or even move a whisker with this mod & that means no clanging & banging or vibrations from the back when towing which can become nothing short of irritating over a long trip.

Tips:

When welding on the nut be sure its going to point the bolt in the direction of the apposing corner (ie: if you drill the L/H bottom corner then have the bolt pointing to the R/H upper corner) so when you tighten the bolt the hitch itself will be forced up against the opposing corner keeping it tight & movement free

MC97GQ
18th September 2011, 06:51 AM
Hey Patch,

Thought I would post these up so people can see what you mean,

This is a hayman reece hitch on the back of the cook's Honda CRV, they have drilled and tapped the corner of the hitch receiver.

Isn't a bad anti theft device either

Mark

patch697
18th September 2011, 09:04 AM
Hey Patch,

This is a hayman reece hitch on the back of the cook's Honda CRV, they have drilled and tapped the corner of the hitch receiver.

Mark

Your a star mate, thats what I was talking about.

Cheers

Maxhead
18th September 2011, 09:42 AM
Hey Patch,

Mark

Thanks for the pics mate...now I understand..LOLOLOL

I think some new H&R tow bars have this kind of system on them...and you're right bloody nearly imposable to get off unless you have a spanner.

chicken
20th September 2011, 06:47 AM
Also for those who do this mod, its better to put the bolt on the top. If underneith, the weight of the load your towing will make the hitch rub into the bolt, thus leaving a groove in in your hitch and making it losse agian, with it on top it rairly wares at all.

BHILL
24th September 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info team.

my third 256
25th September 2011, 03:40 AM
Here's a good mod for you all.

If you drill a hole into the very corner of your hitch receiver close to the opening & weld a high tensile nut over the hole to make it captive accompanied with a bolt to suit & an extra nut to use as a lock nut you can fit the hitch of your choice then tighten up the bolt in the captive nut & lock it up with the extra nut (lock nut) & all your rattles are gone.

Your hitch will not rattle or even move a whisker with this mod & that means no clanging & banging or vibrations from the back when towing which can become nothing short of irritating over a long trip.

Tips:

When welding on the nut be sure its going to point the bolt in the direction of the apposing corner (ie: if you drill the L/H bottom corner then have the bolt pointing to the R/H upper corner) so when you tighten the bolt the hitch itself will be forced up against the opposing corner keeping it tight & movement free
dont forget to disconect batteries when welding

shaunh
28th October 2011, 11:48 PM
ingenious!!

Lahej_sas
18th February 2012, 06:25 AM
nice thanx for the info