PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Overdrive

ablast
15th September 2011, 11:07 AM
I bought my 1997 GY60 Patrol recently. The transmission runs fine in three gears but the overdrive does not work. All the wires seem to be connected and well insulated and the light on the dash goes out when the overdrive button is pushed in however the overdrive does not engage. Can anyone give me any clues on what might be wrong here?

Sir Roofy
15th September 2011, 11:43 AM
thinking you may have to go and get it checked mate,get them to take the bottom of and see whats on the magnets

might just need adjustment on bands

good luck with it

ablast
15th September 2011, 01:26 PM
Thank you for your prompt response.

Any other ideas would be much apreciated.

ablast
18th September 2011, 04:08 PM
The transmission fluid is clean, there is no sign of metal on the magnet and I know nothing about this type of transmission. have had plenty of exerience with early Land Rovers, Unimogs, 4x4 and 6x6 International trucks, Scamel truck, Kieser and much more. The switch on the shift appears to function with the dash light turning on and off when the button is pushed but no joy with 4th gear engaging. The thurmo fan does not come on at all and the engine seems to run quite cool. If the engine was not getting up to correct running temp could this cause the trans to not change? I read in the forums about this but does this only refer to the transmission temp?

Bigrig
18th September 2011, 06:38 PM
The transmission fluid is clean, there is no sign of metal on the magnet and I know nothing about this type of transmission. have had plenty of exerience with early Land Rovers, Unimogs, 4x4 and 6x6 International trucks, Scamel truck, Kieser and much more. The switch on the shift appears to function with the dash light turning on and off when the button is pushed but no joy with 4th gear engaging. The thurmo fan does not come on at all and the engine seems to run quite cool. If the engine was not getting up to correct running temp could this cause the trans to not change? I read in the forums about this but does this only refer to the transmission temp?

On the temp question mate, I don't think so - I run an alloy radiator with twin oil coolers, the front oil cooler and a cooler thermostat, and have no issue with mine ...

Does the overdrive rely on a relay (auto electrics is definitely not a strong point of mine!!!)? If so, might want to check power to it etc - not sure if the dash light to suggest it's on is separate to the relay and hence it is coming on when you press the button, but nothing happening due to power/earthing problem???

NissanGQ4.2
18th September 2011, 07:18 PM
Can't help with your Question, could be a range of things....this manual might help you out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6177-RE4R03A-RE4R01A-Auto-Transmission-Manual&p=143863&posted=1#post143863

Cheers

Todd

NissanGQ4.2
18th September 2011, 07:23 PM
If the engine was not getting up to correct running temp could this cause the trans to not change? I read in the forums about this but does this only refer to the transmission temp?

I believe its nothing 2 do with the engine Temp, The gearbox has a temp sensor as well and if it doesn't reach a certain temp it wont change into overdrive, So i am lead 2 believe.

ablast
19th September 2011, 01:45 AM
All the relays seem to be OK. The only electricals unchecked now are the two switches ( one on the stalk and the other on the dash) and I asume there is a solinoid or some such device on the side of the transmission. Failing that the box may have to come out for a more serious look. Yuk!

Rather than answer my own post again I'll edit this one.

I have been reseaching this as much as time allows. I am not inclined to take this to be repaired as have a need to understand how it all works. I believe now it may be as simple as a buggered solinoid. Here is a bit of info that may help someone else.

"• If you have a manual transmission model, check the wiring to the overdrive solenoid (M46,M47 transmission with type M overdrive) and check all fuses. This solenoid simply opens a check valve that allows the overdrive to function (DO NOT reverse the vehicle with the overdrive engaged or damage will result to the unit itself).
Automatic transmission models also have an overdrive override solenoid, bottom left side. If it is stuck in the override mode, check for shorted wiring to the solenoid. Also check the switch which can bind closed. If you can put a voltmeter on the wiring to the solenoid itself, check for voltage; if you have voltage and the switch is known good, the wiring is faulty. No voltage means the solenoid plunger is stuck down. Remove the solenoid and repair or replace it. In most cases replacement of a well-used item is better than repair.
All models: Always verify the condition of the wiring and connectors before condemning the unit. In most cases a voltmeter will rule out what the solenoid isn't doing. If you have voltage at the terminals on manual transmission models but no overdrive function, the solenoid has either seized or the coil has burned out. On automatic transmission models voltage at the terminals means the opposite: the solenoid will override overdrive and keep it in the third gear. No voltage for manual means no overdrive; no voltage on the terminals for automatic models means overdrive engages normally; if this is the case, replace the solenoid.
If, after all this checks out, on automatic models, this means that the transmission valve body has plugged up with deposits. For manual models, it means roughly the same (the overdrive is essentially a one-gear automatic transmission) and it also indicates that something is amiss with the hydraulic circuits, in both cases. Low line pressure can also cause this to happen in both types which means either the fluid is bad, the valve body is dirty, the screen is clogged or the main oil pump in the transmission (automatic models) is leaking. Always perform a thorough check before condemning either transmission type - they are conventional in design and very sturdy.
On AW-7x transmissions, no brake bands are used, therefore only clutch packs are employed. On the M46 and M47 manual models, the overdrive is a bolt on unit (type J or type M, depending on year). On the ZF series of automatic transmissions, the overdrive is integral to the transmission, being a true fourth gear. All models use a solenoid to control the upper gear range.
Note also that if you have the manual transmission, it may prove risky to rebuild it if you can beat the synchro by a quick change. Rebuilds offer up different wear surfaces to the case and can make a noisy transmission noisier.
Automatic models utilize clutch packs front to back. Band brakes were eliminated entirely, and when these start to fail the most noticeable problem is sloppy, hard shifting even after a fluid and screen job. The clutch wear surfaces decrease in friction holding and become thin. This implies loose clutches and this implies poor shift quality.
Always change the fluid completely (including the oil cooler, note it is thermostatically controlled) and clean the magnets of all debris. Introduce new oil into the system and test again."