PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer for GUIII?

philws
14th September 2011, 02:13 PM
G'day,

I am considering a 2003 GUIII 3.0L Patrol when deciding on a price to offer the seller I am taking into account how much I will need to spend on NADS. I have seen the standard list of gauges and catch can, but I was wondering weather a turbo timer was also an important part to include? the reason I ask is that I have seen mention of MAF and inlet clogging occurring due to oil venting from the crankcase when the troll is turned off, would a turbo timer and it's ability to let the rig cool down before actually switching off alleviate this to some extent? Does anyone know what I would be looking at spending for a turbo timer?

Cheers

Phil

Sir Roofy
14th September 2011, 05:11 PM
Turbo timer would be up to the indervidual owner but on the other hand not a bad idea
the oil mist would be more prone whilst running at correct engine temp

Ben-e-boy
14th September 2011, 05:20 PM
a turbo timer is used to let your turbo spool down whilsh still being lubricated. personally I think its important for prolonging the life of the turbo. in saying that the best way to prolong the life of your turbo and motor for that fact is a EGT gauge.

Benny

guterra
14th September 2011, 08:16 PM
Its a personal pref mate. I always let the egts drop under 200 deg before I shut off. It just means that you can either wait with the car or set it for a min and let it do itself. At the end of the day, its not a necessity, just a convenience.

big_fletch
14th September 2011, 09:08 PM
I agree, I dont have one, however i have a EGT gauge and i always wait till temps are under 200 Deg before turning motor off

Fletcha

philws
21st September 2011, 03:55 PM
having just got the trol (it has an egt) I have already twice turned it off by mistake without waiting for it to cool down. I think a timer will be an essential for me :) damn school drop offs and kids shouting a thousand things at you at once (maybe also my forgetfulness but I much prefer to blame the ankle biters :) )