PDA

View Full Version : DIY snorkel filter

dirty_dog
13th September 2011, 10:54 PM
would like to tackel a DIY snorkel install, got lots of info on the stainless part and cutting the hole, but how does the air filter fit in.

patch697
13th September 2011, 11:02 PM
would like to tackel a DIY snorkel install, got lots of info on the stainless part and cutting the hole, but how does the air filter fit in.

Don't quite understand tp what your referring to here mate???

Are we talking air box or somthing to go inside the snorkel itself???

dirty_dog
14th September 2011, 01:23 PM
yeah do i just silicon up the original air intake or can i replace it all and put some sort of inlinefilter with the flexable tube. coz silicon it up sound pretty dodgy

patch697
14th September 2011, 01:47 PM
There are quite a few options available these days so shop around until you find something your happy with but keep in mind space can be an issue here.

I personally will be fabricating my own when it comes time to do my snorkel install.

Bagheera
14th September 2011, 08:22 PM
The original airbox inlet is via the LH front guard. When you install a snorkel, you cut through the inner guard, then run your pipe into the existing airbox inlet. Seal it with silicone, a tight rubber hose & clamp or whatever method works best for your build.

growler2058
15th September 2011, 05:00 AM
The original airbox inlet is via the LH front guard. When you install a snorkel, you cut through the inner guard, then run your pipe into the existing airbox inlet. Seal it with silicone, a tight rubber hose & clamp or whatever method works best for your build.

X2 and replace your filters while ur at it

dirty_dog
15th September 2011, 11:17 PM
does anyone have any suggestions for how i could do an inline filter cos as been said, space is an issue and i got a massive filter box on top of me carbie, i would prefer to make it alot smaller.

would like to know what other ppl have done? How yu gona do your's, Patch

patch697
15th September 2011, 11:35 PM
does anyone have any suggestions for how i could do an inline filter cos as been said, space is an issue and i got a massive filter box on top of me carbie, i would prefer to make it alot smaller.

would like to know what other ppl have done? How yu gona do your's, Patch

I was thinking of fitting the K&N inline unit which is a sealed housing with a cone type K&N washable filter inside it, but im still thinking of just fabricating my own up out of stainless.

If you didn't want to change your aircleaner setup, why not look at a per-filter?
You could pick one of them up cheap enough second hand....

dirty_dog
17th September 2011, 04:20 PM
yeah i would prefer to change the whole setup as it takes up alot of space,but there are alot of hoses comeing out of it. are these essential or can i get rid of them altogether.

does anyone have pics of what they've done

-ET 4wd-
27th September 2011, 01:11 AM
Here ya go bloke,
I made this adapter with a bit of bent 3 inch pipe that i welded to a 3mm plate then chopped the under side out and die ground it back at a mates place. It is mounted to the base from a gas system. and heavy duty siliconed on!
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/et4wd/2005_0905build-up-GQ0085.jpg

I then went to a ricer shop and bought a inline podfilter, It is made by 'Monza' dunno what the part number is or anything the box is long gone. I then got some memory hose and fitted that to the snorkel inlet up to the filter. heres a pic,
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/et4wd/2005_1026Poser-Shots0001.jpg

The thing to point out here is i had a body lift on the beast at this stage and it only just cleared the bonnet after removing some of the under bonnet 'ribbing'
Also i would not recomend this on a road car as all the pod did was filter out the gravel that went down the snorkel, it let pretty much everything thing else in! I would stick with the stock filter it works real well, If i had one i wouldnt have made this!!!!

Hope this helps,

Steve.

dirty_dog
29th September 2011, 10:46 PM
hey man thanx for that, good pix. why does it not filter well.do you think there is any way to fix that ya think.

-ET 4wd-
6th October 2011, 12:05 AM
No drama's bloke,
It was a very open weave on the pod itself so it let some pretty hefty particulates through!
You could probably see if there is a pod 'sock' available to sort of slide over the pod inside the canister and that would help heaps.
I never worried as i wanted the flow and the beast was a race car by this time.

Steve.

Random
8th October 2011, 05:43 PM
you might have solved this with a panel filter, and also if the pipe from the snorkel connected to the panel from underneath to stop heavy particles from entering the filter

also, did you use pod filter oil?

WHITEGQ
8th October 2011, 09:12 PM
Hi,
As said in above reply, you could use a pre filter from a different patrol. I recently did a straight LPG conversion, using a TB-42E manifold, some piping connected to an RD-25/30 pre filter, then hooked directly to my 4" stainless snorkle. Here are some pic's that I hope will help you with doing yours. The piping in pic's I hve since had replaced with 1 piece of steel pipe made up at the exhuast shop.

-ET 4wd-
9th October 2011, 11:45 PM
you might have solved this with a panel filter, and also if the pipe from the snorkel connected to the panel from underneath to stop heavy particles from entering the filter

also, did you use pod filter oil?

Yep thats what i did this time Random.
I used the same filter as the one in the missus WH Grange ( HSV Stato) it works killer and doesnt look to bad either, plus i can plumb both my snorkels to it.
Here's a pic,
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/et4wd/Stuff002.jpg

Not bad for a amatuer!! hehe

Steve.

pirate
22nd October 2011, 05:43 PM
Do u need to take it over the pits after these kind of mods or is thatjust for chassis changes etc?
@ et 4wd do u have 2 alternators on there mate, must some powerful spotties!

-ET 4wd-
26th October 2011, 12:32 AM
Nah Pirate it dont need to go over the pits for puttin a snorkel on it or for changing ya filtration set-up, but the engine conversion it will!..
Yep got some powerful spotties alright! have 2 X35W HID lightforce 240's and 2 X 70W HID lightforce XGT converts. and 2 X 35w HID H4 replacements of the 6000k variety in the 'crystal lights' ( headlights) all that uses less power than the original headlights!
The second alt is a 24V jobbie that is only used for charging the winch batteries!....makes it go real fast!

Steve.

Stumpjumper
22nd November 2011, 11:41 AM
I just finished my mk 2 alloy filter box, only been in a couple of days seems to work well, time shall tell. Snorkel to come later.

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 12:16 PM
I just finished my mk 2 alloy filter box, only been in a couple of days seems to work well, time shall tell. Snorkel to come later.

Very tidy mate! Well done!!

Stumpjumper
22nd November 2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks Bigrig
hey ive got an increase in power too! really noticable on the gas. I can remember a gasman checking the oxy sensor with his meter and saying the pod filter was too free flowing and it made the gas run lean, wherehas the genuine nissan airbox would be better. He advised putting an extra sock over the pod filter to add more restriction.
My new box must be restricting air flow back to factoy setting as I use the inlet hole through to the guard.

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 12:39 PM
thanks for post will give it a try
cam