PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Gq SWB Patrol having Issues starting when cold.

IP-GQ
3rd June 2010, 07:55 PM
Hii guys.

ill start off by saying sorry for the half ass information but I'm not the greatest mechanic around.

I've got a 1998 SWB GS Nissan Patrol and having problems just starting it and it seems to be getting worse lately.

It only seems to happen when its cold, if its just been started than its fine.

When i start her when its cold i have to keep the revs up for atleast 40 seconds otherwise it will stall. I have been noticing lately that the oil light on the dash stays on for a bit so not sure if that helps yas or not.

Sorry about the lame info but would appreciate any advice guys!

89GQ
3rd June 2010, 09:23 PM
Howdy, is it petrol or diesel? If its diesel it sounds like air in the fuel line and needs priming,Are the air filters renewed,fuel filter etc.What motor? Cheers

DazGQ
3rd June 2010, 09:23 PM
I would check for airleaks in the carby mate.

Mine used to do that but after changing spark plugs, cleaning out the carby it was all good again.

it may not be the case for you but i had exactly the same issue and cleaning the carby out and replacing some spark plugs fixed it right away.

IP-GQ
3rd June 2010, 09:30 PM
Hi again, yeah it's diesel so ill check that out thanks 89GQ. It's a 4.2 diesel if that helps you? Air in the fuel line could be it...yes!

Airfilter "should" be ok but i havent check the fuel filter in a while, good point.

Thanks DazgQ, the carby does need a good clean so ill see how it goes.

Thanks guys ill have a play around tomorrow and let you's know.

Timbo
4th June 2010, 07:27 AM
Def sounds like air/fuel issue to me. Is it actually starting ok though? Nevermind about the reving bit. That would at least eliminate fuel and the glow plugs. I know with my VL turbo, it starts and idels for about 2 secs and then cuts out. I have to hold the revs at 1000rpm for a while, but even then it cuts out sometimes. I have to go for a drive and she comes good eventually. But I think that's to do with my timing.. Maybe your timing is out too?

IP-GQ
4th June 2010, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for your help!

I ended up cleaning the carby out, changing the fuel filter and replacing the gaskets and she fired up first go no probs!

Turned over after about 5 seconds which is great!

Thanks for your help everyone, great help! ;)

Yes G-unit, the timing is a bit out but this did help it a lot!