PDA

View Full Version : Petrol, Diesel, LPG Petrol, Auto, Manual, Manulised auto... Argh !!!

luxo barge
11th September 2011, 08:26 AM
Petrol, Diesel, LPG Petrol, Auto, Manual, Manulised auto...What combination should I get, when I buy a GU ?
I will be using the vehicle in local state forrests, up the beach, sometimes towing a 700kg camper, sometimes touring to non remote places, but 90% to and from work which is hyw and local country roads 30min max each way.

What combination have you got ?
What fuel does it use, towing, not towing, on, offroad ?
How's the box drive in all mentioned situations, esp low range driving ?

:feedback:

katwoman
11th September 2011, 08:36 AM
I have a petrol/gas 4.5 auto and low range is not brilliant. Went out a couple of weeks ago, and we had alot of downhill.. I was not happy with having to ride the brakes so much.. Other than that my GU is perfect.

nowoolies
11th September 2011, 08:38 AM
i have a 3.0ltr auto turbo diesle
so far cant complain works a treat on the beaches and mud
she tows the big boat just fine just under two tonnes never had any gear box hassels over heating ect and always tow that one with o/d off
and still cruise`s the ton fine , dont even know the boat is on the back
mileage, well mine gets around 5.45 klpltr no matter what im doing 4 high 4 low o/d on o/d off, beach driveing / rock climbing , driving like i stole it / driveing like i own it ,
great bus to drive very very compfy to drive
if i was told a couple of years ago a rig of this weight auto and on the beach ,....i would have laughed at you, now..........fanfriggingtastic:049::first::thumbup ::icon_driving::hpfredgeorge1::clapping::groupwave ::smileyvault-cute-bi....yup im happy

patch697
11th September 2011, 10:22 AM
I have a petrol/gas 4.5 auto and low range is not brilliant. Went out a couple of weeks ago, and we had alot of downhill.. I was not happy with having to ride the brakes so much.. Other than that my GU is perfect.

I know a reduction in 4L ratio will help immensely here for descent control with auto trans......

Speak to Bigrig, he had it done & hasn't looked back.

David Welsford
12th September 2011, 08:34 PM
Hello I've got a 3.0ltr auto and tow a camper which once full weighs around a tonne plus the back filled up of fridges and other stuff and no worries and ecomony might drop 10%
I get around 7km per ltr average.Never in too much of a hurry no complaints.
Davo

teleman
13th September 2011, 09:02 PM
G'day mate. Ive got a manual 3.0ltr. Its fantastic. The Gear box is really good too. Short for a big car, light and not too notchy.
Its a pleasure to drive anywhere. I get around 11 - 13 ltrs per 100kms. Around 900kms per tank. 1000 if im really good. choose the one that feels right for you.

Jamie
30th January 2012, 11:31 PM
I've got a 98 4.5L dual fuel and I love the car hate the economy and the variation in performance between petrol and gas. Still trying to resolve it. I would have opted for the 3L diesel accept I had heard so many bad stories about their reliability. I would love to be getting the milage figures you guys are quoting. If I was changing over cars and could be assured that it wouldn't blow up I would opt for the diesel. Dual fuel is a real issue if travelling any distance, particularly remote as gas is often not available.

Just an opinion!