PDA

View Full Version : Which Winch?

Mad4Mud
10th September 2011, 01:46 PM
Hi guys. Was hoping on some advice on which winch to purchase for my GU3 Y61. Seen a lot of cheap ones advertised at super cheap and the like but i assume they're just that, cheap.
Would be grateful for any input regarding brand and also what pond rating for my rig. Are there any other factors I need to consider?
Thanks in advance.

patch697
10th September 2011, 02:15 PM
Real of thumb is try to go with a winch thats made here in Oz built for Aussie conditions. The cheaper overseas ones ie. the chines ones are generally exactly that cheap but if used correctly can do the job for the most part.

Have a read of "Bigrig's" post in this thread it explains in some detail what Im referring to here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5812-Aldi-has-4wd-stuff-this-week.

As for what size? Well that will really depend on your budget but bigger is better here so try not going under the 9500lbs make & anything above that will serve you well.

Mad4Mud
10th September 2011, 03:11 PM
Nice one, Patch. At least now I've got a bit of a clue. Will check out Bigrig's post. Thanks for the tip.

Mad4Mud
10th September 2011, 05:45 PM
Cheers, Plasnart. I think I'd rather pay a bit more for the quality. Might take a bit longer but I'd hate to have an equipment failure when you need it most. Will do a read on Warn and look into.
Appreciate your time.

macca
10th September 2011, 07:21 PM
I have just got hold of a Warn 9.5, "best winch" according to 4WD action, actually came 3rd due to price... mmmmm
Any way it didn't fit between the chassis rails in a OEM Nissan bar. Got a cradle from TigerzII for $80 so leave it at home when I dont need it.
And it stays dry during water crossings, alot more work to set up to use though.
Alot of stuffing round making a "front Hitch" socket and wiring front and rear
Just a heads up, measure twice cut once they say.
Macca

hekarewe
10th September 2011, 08:22 PM
having purchased my GU III late last year i thought i would buy my first winch to go it along with all the other mods i had ordered at the time,,, my choice ended being the new 9500lb XP 6.9hp winch which went with the ARB bar. first time i used it was in sand where the patrol with a 1.5 tonne camper attachedf had buried itself going up a sand hill at stockton beach ran the winch out to the start of the last layer of cable and winch extention and using a single line pull,,, (only way to reach the other vehicle) skull draged both patrol and trailer up the dune success!!! since then i have self recovered myself and other many times and it only failed once due to an error on installation by ARB Penrith, installed it with the drian hole for the electric motor bloked. failure happened at beerburrim SF when trying to recover a landbarge from an ugly position on a rock shelf.... electric motor fried itself because over the months none of the water n mud had been unable to drain from it. ARB came to the party without any argument and replaced the electric motor FOC

Soooooo yes the warn winch cost me more,,, but the warrenty and aftermarket back up was well worth it as is the readily available spare part are all well worth the extra cost and peace of mind.

Mad4Mud
10th September 2011, 09:12 PM
Its looking like Warn all the way. Many thanks to you all.

macca
10th September 2011, 09:39 PM
Might interest you

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warn-68500-9-5XP-Winch-Freight-Available-/230670155633?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b5033f71

Thats where I got mine, no worries at all.

Free frieght and save another 20 with a direct deposit, you might be able to pick up.

Macca