PDA

View Full Version : TB42 Tappet Adjustment

patch697
15th August 2010, 12:03 PM
This is a widely ask question by many DIYers so I've set it out in point form so whom ever needs it may copy & print it out for future use.

TB42 Tappet adjustment.

Adjusting Intake and Exhaust Valve Clearance
Adjustment should be made while engine is warm but not running

1. Set No. 1 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke,(with timing marks aligned remove distributor cap the rotor button should be pointing at number 1 ignition lead position in reference to the distributor cap if its not rotate engine 360 degrease) and adjust valve clearances 1,2,3,6,7,10

2. Set No. 6 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke, (with timing marks aligned remove distributor cap the rotor button should be pointing at number 6 ignition lead position in reference to the distributor cap if its not rotate engine 360 degrease) and adjust valve clearances 4,5,8,9,11,12

Valve clearance
Intake 1,3,5,7,9,11 - 0.38mm (0.015 in)
Exhaust 2,4,6,8,10,12 - 0.38mm (0.015 in)

Adjusting screw lock nuts - 16 - 22 Nm (1.6 - 2.2 kg/m, 12 - 16 ft/lb)

If you are running duel fuel it is a good idea to set your tappets 1 to 2 thou bigger in gap as LPG has a tendency to close up the gap.

Although this is a widely used practice its not an absolute necessity.

Cheers
Paul

AB
15th August 2010, 03:38 PM
Good info, cheers Pauly.

YNOT
15th August 2010, 06:38 PM
The proceedure for TD42 is exactly the same, but you wont be able to check the rotar button postion to confirm whether it's 1 or 6 on TDC. Easy way to tell is set crank to TDC by timing marks, if both rockers on No. 1 are rocking then No. 1 is on TDC. Like wise No. 6. I'm not sure of valve clearance for TD42 but from memory I think it's .0014 in.

Tony

Finly Owner
15th August 2010, 08:58 PM
and 3.3 turbo whats the go there please guys?

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 10:45 PM
This is a widely ask question by many DIYers so I've set it out in point form so whom ever needs it may copy & print it out for future use.

TB42 Tappet adjustment.

1. Set No. 1 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke,(with timing marks aligned remove distributor cap the rotor button should be pointing at number 1 ignition lead position in reference to the distributor cap if its not rotate engine 360 degrease) and adjust valve clearances 1,2,3,6,7,10

2. Set No. 6 cylinder at top dead centre on its compression stroke, (with timing marks aligned remove distributor cap the rotor button should be pointing at number 6 ignition lead position in reference to the distributor cap if its not rotate engine 360 degrease) and adjust valve clearances 4,5,8,9,11,12

Valve clearance

If you are running duel fuel it is a good idea to set your tappets 1 to 2 thou bigger in gap as LPG has a tendency to close up the gap.

Cheers
Paul

another one for the file as it can be for any thing that needs index

Russell1974
13th September 2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks paul very handy to have as I will be doing this soon cheers

patch697
13th September 2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks paul very handy to have as I will be doing this soon cheers

What you running Russ TB or TD?

Russell1974
13th September 2010, 01:51 AM
What you running Russ TB or TD?

I have the 4.2 turbo diesel

oldtimer
15th September 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone,
That is a very good write-up on tappet adjustments Paul, very specific. I particularly liked the mention of visually looking at the rotor to indicate TDC firing. I did not use that method in my writings. I would like to offer another view if I may. I have written an article myself on my website which explains three methods of adjusting tappets that is tranferrable to almost any engine. Hopefully this link www.tuning.mbs.id.au/TechTalk/TT2.htm will take you directly to the article without going through my site, but if it doesn't please go to www.tuning.mbs.id.au Click on the Tech Talk menu on the left & then click on the TT2 button. Hope it is useful to you.
Chhers
Mike

Milik607
10th February 2011, 05:47 AM
Someone will tell me where to find cheap valves and valve lifters? I did the disassembly and are nearly all destroyed ....

YNOT
10th February 2011, 06:58 AM
First you need to post an introduction and include telling us where you are and what engine you have.

Tony

Airstrike
15th March 2011, 10:31 AM
I have had my car at three mechanics recently none of them were able to stop mt tappets from being loud. Not happy as they are louder now then before I took it in.

YNOT
15th March 2011, 10:33 AM
That sounds a bit odd that 3 different mechanics could not get them right. Are you sure it's tappet noise?

Tony

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but like mine, with dual fuel, they are always going to be a little noisier, and the clearances are set slightly differently - did Derek check to see how advanced your timing was when it was there??

Airstrike
15th March 2011, 02:15 PM
No he didnt. I didnt ask. He stopped the noise though for a few hours lol thats the closet by far. LOL

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 02:22 PM
LOL!!! Well, give him a lash at it ...

Ruby
3rd April 2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the LPG angle.

tappethead
26th April 2011, 08:41 PM
hi team have nt had much to ask about recently but just reset the tappets on my 4.5 liter petrol today and followed the procedure as described above (even the when your finished go back and check again!!!!) and man what a difference it made to performance and to the ear (tick tick tick ggrrrrrr...)
i have done this procedure before in the past with mixed results lol... maybe iv been doing it wrong ever since so many thanks for the post... still learning!!! thank you NISSANPATROL.COM.AU.......

GUtsy ute
26th April 2011, 09:35 PM
Here is a table I use, printed it out and laminated it so it's oil proof.

Silver
26th April 2011, 09:56 PM
Just checked the manual, clearance is for warm engine.

ripper
16th May 2011, 03:20 PM

This made me smile. They're hard enough to get to at the best of times, hate to think how it would be to adjust them with the engine still running :-)

Silver
16th May 2011, 05:31 PM
This made me smile. They're hard enough to get to at the best of times, hate to think how it would be to adjust them with the engine still running :-)

I saw a bloke doing that with a 6 cyl holden when I was a kid. Oil squirting here and there :-)

ripper
17th May 2011, 12:07 AM
I saw a bloke doing that with a 6 cyl holden when I was a kid. Oil squirting here and there :-)

I thought Holden engines all had hydraulic lifters? ie: no rocker adjusting?
Obviously he had no idea :-)

Silver
17th May 2011, 08:36 AM
I thought Holden engines all had hydraulic lifters? ie: no rocker adjusting?
Obviously he had no idea :-)

It was 35 - 40 years ago - perhaps it was a Ford? Can't remember, but I do remember it was tappets, the engine was running and supplying oil to the rockers.

ripper
17th May 2011, 07:00 PM
the engine was running and supplying oil to the rockers.
and also oil to the mechanic. HAHAHA

fixer982
17th May 2011, 07:13 PM
Not so strange to do them running if they are hydraulic. When I had V8 Chevrolet engines in drag cars, I used sold lifters with roller rockers, and we used to set the tappet clearances with the engine running. I had a couple of stock rocker covers with the tops cut off and the edges ground smooth. Still splashed a bit of oil but it worked well. Most of the experienced Holden mechanics I knew set the 6 cylinder hydraulics while they were running, backing each one off until noisy, then down until the noise stopped, then 1/4 turn at a time until I think it was half a turn after noise stopped.

ripper
18th May 2011, 03:17 PM
Not so strange to do them running if they are hydraulic.

Thanks fixer, never heard of that, but never worked with solid lifters or roller rockers either.

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2011, 08:47 PM
Adjusted mine and my old mans tappets 2day......... what a sh!tty little job that is, spend more time taking crap off the cover than you do actually adjusting the tappets! Got 2 love over paid engineers.

10031 10032

whats this...... I can now hear my stereo over the motor *L*

Lahej_sas
27th February 2012, 04:44 AM
thanks for the information it is so useful

tiggar03
27th February 2012, 04:34 PM
thanks for this tread ive never done mine but maybe will have to check mine now i know how to do it thanks

Robo
3rd March 2012, 01:39 PM
Ok, no one has asked the ? so I will.
what is the, where is the valve train wear accruing.
what to look for?.
Why do these engines have a noisy valve train?.
what should be replaced.
cam, lifters, p-rods, rocker or valve?.
actually starting a new thread for all to see.

Rosco
23rd March 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks fixer, never heard of that, but never worked with solid lifters or roller rockers either.
Our TB42 rockers work the same as roller rockers. We just dont have the roller on the tip to roll over the valve tip.

terrors4
26th April 2012, 05:16 PM
Great info, Thanks

ansaha
28th April 2012, 08:52 AM
great info thanks.
Cheers Andrew

goodie
2nd May 2012, 11:47 AM
Hello, new to the forum. my name is nick and im from warragul in victoria! (will go and do a proper introduction with pictures and what not when i get home :) )

i Have a mav, dual fuel and once it gets warm, i.e driving for 15 or so minutes, it produces a spasmodic sort of miss, "pops" and the revs drop on the tacho. its not enough to lose speed but is enough to scare the shite out of me. i can hear the tappets, quite loud. would this be causing the vehicle to miss?

Thanks,
Nick

BIG PIG
13th September 2012, 09:59 PM
mine was doin that mate i ditched my point set up in the dizzy and went to a pertronix set up

gazz
23rd October 2012, 01:29 PM
thanks patch697 for the info on tappet adj that is going to help alot .gazz from tamborine

MikeBossyBos
13th November 2013, 12:16 AM
I know this is an old thread and id get slammed on the other forums i'm on,
but does anyone know the adjustment for a cold engine? TB42

Clunk
13th November 2013, 12:22 AM
I know this is an old thread and id get slammed on the other forums i'm on,
but does anyone know the adjustment for a cold engine? TB42

Dont worry, you won't get slammed here. I must admit, I was always under the impression that adjustment should be done whilst the engine was warm. So not sure if there are cold settings. Hopefully if someone has done it, they may be able to help.

taslucas
13th November 2013, 07:34 AM
I have this from a Haynes manual:

TB42 valve clearance:
COLD:
Intake 0.20(mm), 0.008(inch).
Exhaust 0.20(mm), 0.008(inch).

HOT:
Intake 0.38(mm), 0.015(inch).
Exhaust 0.38(mm), 0.015(inch).

Note: "cold" is 20 degrees C.

I had a mate help me adjust mine last year. About a 40 minute drive to his place so we set it for the hot adjustment. It made a noticeable difference with power and economy.

MikeBossyBos
13th November 2013, 09:38 AM
I have this from a Haynes manual:

TB42 valve clearance:
COLD:
Intake 0.20(mm), 0.008(inch).
Exhaust 0.20(mm), 0.008(inch).

HOT:
Intake 0.38(mm), 0.015(inch).
Exhaust 0.38(mm), 0.015(inch).

Note: "cold" is 20 degrees C.

I had a mate help me adjust mine last year. About a 40 minute drive to his place so we set it for the hot adjustment. It made a noticeable difference with power and economy.

thanks for that taslucas, the car isnt really in one piece so a warm start isn't all hat practical at the moment

taslucas
13th November 2013, 09:59 AM
thanks for that taslucas, the car isnt really in one piece so a warm start isn't all hat practical at the moment

No worries mate. Hope you get it sorted and back on the road:-)

growler2058
13th December 2013, 05:33 PM
I'll be doing mine this weekend. The ol girl has started to get a bit smokey under load (bit like puffin billy). I spoke to one of our maintenance fitters today who as it turns out is a td42 guru. Said before anything else check air filters, tappets, injectors then fuel pump last.

taslucas
13th December 2013, 05:55 PM
I'll be doing mine this weekend. The ol girl has started to get a bit smokey under load (bit like puffin billy). I spoke to one of our maintenance fitters today who as it turns out is a td42 guru. Said before anything else check air filters, tappets, injectors then fuel pump last.

This is a t B 42 thread you mong!

growler2058
13th December 2013, 06:14 PM
Read past ya nose nob head also details td42 the only decent motor

taslucas
13th December 2013, 08:22 PM
Read past ya nose nob head also details td42 the only decent motor for people that think slow and drive slow

Yeah you got me there!

growler2058
13th December 2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah you got me there!

I know ! hahahahahaa

taslucas
13th December 2013, 08:59 PM
I know ! hahahahahaa

Read past your nose and look at my quote lol

growler2058
13th December 2013, 09:20 PM
Read past your nose and look at my quote lol growlers got the best engine of all patrols....the TD42

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAhahahahahhaha funny knut

fukitol72
22nd March 2015, 10:45 PM
Ive struggled with this cause no where in the manual did it say about the distributor bit an the bit about the lpg awesome mabey now I'll get that fookin tapping noise to go away ty ty ty well here goes 3 time lucky I hope :what:

ripper
22nd March 2015, 11:05 PM
tapping noise to go away

If they're like mine adjusting them probably wont be enough. I thought they were fine until I compared them with a freshly ground one. They have a fairly definite point (like a cam) where they push on the valves, but they're meant to be evenly rounded.

strikx
2nd April 2015, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone,
Is this the same settings for the 97 2.8L turbo diesel?

Whats involved in removing the rocker cover with the vacuum pump i couldn't find the workshop manual?

I think its a lifer noise I,m hearing, but I,m also thinking it maybe a injector they can sound the same, she has only done 235,000 km i will check it out tomorrow to see if it the lifter or injector with the old screwdriver.

thefuzzywuzzys
7th March 2017, 01:57 PM
This is a widely ask question by many DIYers so I've set it out in point form so whom ever needs it may copy & print it out

TB42 Tappet adjustment.

Valve clearance

Cheers
Paul
i have a 03 nissan patrol 4.8 is this for that to

threedogs
7th March 2017, 06:07 PM
i have a 03 nissan patrol 4.8 is this for that to

Hello mate and welcome to the forum, might be better for you to post an intro before
asking any questions ,,polite and all,, Its just something the Forum asks of us all.
No harm done but you'll find you'll get a better response as well,,,,,,lol

Brianwanless
27th December 2017, 09:44 PM
I remember doing the Holden red motors, engine running, back off the rocker till it rattled, then close up till silent. Do all 12 and shut it down. The tighten them all 3/4 of a turn. Tappet cover back on and start up, once the lifters equalised, that was it.