PDA

View Full Version : GQ steering wheel

benno
14th August 2010, 09:20 PM
Howdy, just wondering if anybody can help with an idea of what would be a good hassel free ( all horn connections etc ) steering wheel to fit to a 1992 GQ, any help would be good, my wheel is falling to bits.

Cheers Tony.

Woof
14th August 2010, 09:59 PM
I vaguely remember someone saying on another forum that a Pulsar wheel will fit, could be wrong though, just check your local wreckers they should know.

patch697
14th August 2010, 10:12 PM
Puisar wheels will fit & you can get a sporty one to although thay are a bit hareder to come by.

I just brought an after market Jobie for mine & I couldn't be happier with the result.

Woof
14th August 2010, 10:20 PM
Hooray I was right................who said my memory was no good, thanks Paul:cool:

patch697
14th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Hooray I was right................who said my memory was no good, thanks Paul:cool:

Your memory's as sharp as a tack Top Dog... If it wasn't I'd get away with more......lol

patch697
14th August 2010, 10:48 PM
I found there web site for ya:

www.smartparts.com.au

scarz
15th August 2010, 08:49 PM
Be carefull of the depth of the steering wheel, as i bought a steering wheel to suit a GQ patrol, dont know what it came off but it is black 4 spoke and approx 370mm diameter has a nissan badge and it is approx 20mm deeper than the factory 91 model i had. The issue that i found with this is the distance you are away from the blinker stalk seems too far away.

David

benno
19th August 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your replys, can you tell me anymore about the aftermarket Jobie, and how it fits up.

Cheers Tony.

patch697
19th August 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your replys, can you tell me anymore about the aftermarket Jobie, and how it fits up.

Cheers Tony.

Yep sure can.....

You pick a steering wheel you like (these are universal) then you buy a Boss kit to suit your 4x4 (sold at the same place as the wheel) Then when you've got all that you get your steering wheel strait & remove it (see manual for remove & refit), Fit the Boss kit to your new wheel (tip, on the back of your factory wheel is a copper ring on black plastic with a wire attached that go's through from the back to the front of the wheel. You need to remove & refit this to your new wheel or you will not have a horn button that works ) then fit your new steering wheel (as per manual)

If the new wheel is a little off center you will need to remove, turn the wheel to which ever side its out & refit it.

Hop this makes sense.

Cheers
Paul

benno
19th August 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Paul, much appreciated, cheers Tony.

andy san
3rd October 2010, 11:39 AM
nissan boss kits are pretty much all the same from a particular year as well so a pulsar/skyline/120y one from the same year as your car should fit well.

nedoleboy
29th December 2010, 07:04 PM
my steering wheel got knocked back on rego because the the foam grippy bit had separated from the steel wheel .the mechanic told me to get a needle and some super glue and inject it into the wheel.

supplementary......went to chemist to get a needle,can only sell me syringe.reply of perhaps i should become a drug addict didnt go down very well.nurse friend got me one.does work but still a bit dodgey.ned

patch697
29th December 2010, 07:08 PM
my steering wheel got knocked back on rego because the the foam grippy bit had separated from the steel wheel .the mechanic told me to get a needle and some super glue and inject it into the wheel.

supplementary......went to chemist to get a needle,can only sell me syringe.reply of perhaps i should become a drug addict didnt go down very well.nurse friend got me one.does work but still a bit dodgey.ned

Go to a Vett & get one, thay are bigger & do the job better anyway.

The best part is you don't get strange looks & the twenty questions.

gf0012-aust
30th December 2010, 12:36 AM
mate I have an N13 steering wheel on the maverick. straight bolt up. you need a puller, celtic cross wheel brace and some grunt.

http://tinyurl.com/gf0012-aust-Gallery then go to the "bits and pieces" image folder

slightly smaller diameter than original, but is same depth and actually you have better control and reach to the wands

$20 at the wreckers.

nedoleboy
30th December 2010, 12:56 PM
hey their gf0012.
20 bucks for a newish wheel is chaeper than the super glue. any chance you can tell me which wrecker you weht to , and what vehicle is an n13 is ooff.ned

my car will also be a twin cam.hehe.

YNOT
30th December 2010, 03:28 PM
N14 Pulsar and R31/32/33 steering wheels will also fit. Make sure you get one without an air bag.

Tony

nedoleboy
30th December 2010, 06:01 PM
my truck already came with an old bag full of air....shhh hear she comes:)

YNOT
30th December 2010, 07:03 PM
my truck already came with an old bag full of air....shhh hear she comes:)

So you would have the over speed alarm as well then!!!

Tony

nedoleboy
30th December 2010, 07:41 PM
So you would have the over speed alarm as well then!!!

Tony

sounds like we have the exact same model.hehe

gf0012-aust
1st January 2011, 12:06 AM
hey their gf0012.
20 bucks for a newish wheel is chaeper than the super glue. any chance you can tell me which wrecker you weht to , and what vehicle is an n13 is ooff.ned

my car will also be a twin cam.hehe.

no idea about what it came off as it wasn't an original for the pulsar it was pulled off. It came from a wrecker in Queanbeyan - I wouldn't go there again as he was an absolute knob. I'd pay more elsewhere on principle due to his prick of an attitude,

N13's are the early pulsars, things like door trim handle surrounds etc are also common to the N13 pulsar and the patrol.

Finly Owner
1st January 2011, 12:31 AM
mate I have an N13 steering wheel on the maverick. straight bolt up. you need a puller, celtic cross wheel brace and some grunt.

http://tinyurl.com/gf0012-aust-Gallery then go to the "bits and pieces" image folder

slightly smaller diameter than original, but is same depth and actually you have better control and reach to the wands

$20 at the wreckers.

Just remember to leave the nut on at top of shaft until after the steering wheel releases, or face full of steering wheel will happen.

gf0012-aust
1st January 2011, 08:19 AM
Just remember to leave the nut on at top of shaft until after the steering wheel releases, or face full of steering wheel will happen.

Controlled release... bearing pullers are your friend... :) once you get the first "crack" of release, its basically a controlled event...

if you yank it about a like a mad cats whiskers then you deserve to get some involuntary cranio facial surgery from the steering wheel coming off.....

Macgyver
10th January 2011, 10:57 PM
anyone know where i can get the original black sports wheel that came out on some models of GQ?

MudRunnerTD
12th January 2011, 12:14 AM
anyone know where i can get the original black sports wheel that came out on some models of GQ?

Go to a Wrecker and have a look for one in a Nissan Pulsar or Stanza from that era mate, they will bolt straight in and some are near identical.

the evil twin
12th January 2011, 12:26 AM
Bought an N14 from the wrecker in perfect nick... bolts straight on and horn works.

N14's have slightly deeper dish than N13's but either are OK and both are slightly smaller than Patrol standard.

Biggest advantage to using an N13 or 14 Pulsar (non airbag)... they have "Nissan" embossed in the wheel so no-one do rego inspections picks 'em as undersize or changed out... hehehehehe

YNOT
12th January 2011, 12:30 AM
Biggest advantage to using an N13 or 14 Pulsar (non airbag)... they have "Nissan" embossed in the wheel so no-one do rego inspections picks 'em as undersize or changed out... hehehehehe

Exactly right. N14 steering wheel likes right at home in my Terrano. You'd be doing well to pick it's not the original wheel.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010836.jpg

Tony

Macgyver
12th January 2011, 09:49 PM
Off to the wreckers I will go!!!! Thanks Guys..

Finly Owner
13th January 2011, 12:07 AM
I watna set of level gauges like yours Tony

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2011, 07:09 PM
I watna set of level gauges like yours Tony

Had to have another look at that pic and realise that it is not a GQ but rather the Terrano as described. I thought you must have grabbed some out of a Yota.

I had some in the GQ for a few year but found it far more appropriate to look out the bloody windscreen, steer and drive rather than trying to figure out if the slope has hit 30 degrees yet :smileyvault-cute-bi

YNOT
14th January 2011, 09:41 PM
The inclinometer altimeter pod thingy in Nugget was factory fitted by Nissan. I plan to remove the inclinometer and fit boost and pyro gauges in the pod.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010673-1.jpg

Tony

Macgyver
1st February 2011, 01:14 PM
Go to a Wrecker and have a look for one in a Nissan Pulsar or Stanza from that era mate, they will bolt straight in and some are near identical.

i'm heading off to pickapart today, i'll post some pics if i find anything good ;)

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 11:38 AM
Hi, is it the stud patern to look out for to make it a straight fit?? my problem is I am 6'4 and just as wide I would love the extra inch or 2 for changing gears so my next move is to get rid of the original wheel and get something either smaller aftermarted or straight fit. My problem is the after market would maybe need a bos kit and then my gut would rest on the horn not a good look for the wife in the passenger seat.

Regards
Ryan

patch697
2nd February 2011, 11:52 AM
I went for an after market wheel with a boss kit to suit & couldn't be happier.

The wheel spacing is good (a little closer to the dash over the STD wheel) & not to small so that it interferes with the instruments & stalks.

Im 6'1.

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 12:56 PM
What did you get brand ETC. I have no idea went to Autobarn and SCA and the young guys behind the counter go blank when I said GQ. Maybe I should have said a fully sick GQ!!!!

patch697
2nd February 2011, 01:09 PM
What did you get brand ETC. I have no idea went to Autobarn and SCA and the young guys behind the counter go blank when I said GQ. Maybe I should have said a fully sick GQ!!!!

LOLOL.............. Yeah there real bright some of them......lololol

I got mine from Super cheap believe it or not, when thay had a special on & thay got the boss in for the GQ in a day. All I had to do was fit it which took 20 min or so with a smoke in between.

Its real simple stuff but if your not to good on cars I would suggest getting some help from a friend who does cos simple & all as it is.... Its still your steering your playing with & you don't need that failing you at any time.

Airstrike
2nd February 2011, 02:50 PM
yeah true thats the last I need and knowing my luck... ok I will have another try at a different SCA. Cheers for the advice

HILLBILLY BOY
2nd February 2011, 09:50 PM
This is from another forum but...

pulsar n12, n13 and maybe n14
pintara both r31 and u12
pintara TRX
ford corsair and corsair ghia (a pintara underneath)
skyline r31, (including TI and silhouette)

potentially
r32/33 skyline
180sx
silvia
bluebird

pretty much any nissan of that era will go close..

some might need some trim mods (like the trx wheel needs you to cut the round hole in the column shroud bigger so it doesnt touch (about 2 minutes with a dremel)

Airstrike
8th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Steering wheel sorted out I got a racing wheel that is 320mm in size and a boss kit with a Spline of 15mm. Thanks for all the help

Bigrig
8th February 2011, 09:41 PM
Steering wheel sorted out I got a racing wheel that is 320mm in size and a boss kit with a Spline of 15mm. Thanks for all the help

320mm??? Geez mate - at least you'll be able to drive still if you're ever making an escape with handcuffs on!!!! LOL ...

Airstrike
9th February 2011, 09:33 AM
LOL!!! every inch on leg room I can get

ripper
4th October 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys. Gotta go to the wreckers tomorrow to find another steering wheel, and this thread had just what I needed to know.

Dapple
19th February 2012, 06:05 PM
My steering wheel is falling apart so I will be in the market sooner rather that latter so I have a couple of questions
A. Are the n13 and n14 model numbers or some type of part number?
B. Does the smaller wheel cover the instrument panel?

Thanks

damaverick
28th January 2013, 02:18 AM
I want to get an aftermarket steering wheel that has same dimensions as the stock wheel so I can easily access the blinkers/wipers as usual. Should I get a deep dish one, semi dished or flush? The deep dish ones I saw on ebay have 50mm of dish but when I measure the stock wheel from the base to the wheel handle it's about 110-120mm because of the thick chunky part behind the wheel. Will the boss kit take up this space?

evillius
29th January 2013, 06:09 AM
My steering wheel is falling apart so I will be in the market sooner rather that latter so I have a couple of questions
A. Are the n13 and n14 model numbers or some type of part number?
B. Does the smaller wheel cover the instrument panel?

Thanks

Not sure about the size of the wheel, but about the pulsar:

The n13 pulsar is 1986 - 90
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/1989-1991_Nissan_Pulsar_%28N13_S2%29_5-door_hatchback_01.jpg/640px-1989-1991_Nissan_Pulsar_%28N13_S2%29_5-door_hatchback_01.jpg

The n14 pulsar is 1990 - 95
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/1993-1995_Nissan_Pulsar_%28N14_CBU%29_Ti_5-door_hatchback_01.jpg/640px-1993-1995_Nissan_Pulsar_%28N14_CBU%29_Ti_5-door_hatchback_01.jpg

Hope the helps...

Snap nap or tap - it's your choice...