PDA

View Full Version : Power steering box

growler2058
7th September 2011, 04:35 PM
Howdy all, I thought someone had posted about replacing the seals in their power steering box. Agathas seems to have a leak from the bottom seal. Is it a hard task replacing all the seals ie do i need to be pressing bearings off to access????

patch697
7th September 2011, 04:52 PM
Before you go doing that growlers try some rebuild in a bottle..... (Power steering stop leak & conditioner)

If Aggy has been sitting for a bit she may just need some softening up & its sh!t loads cheaper if it works & no great loss to your hip pocket if it don't.

patch697
7th September 2011, 04:57 PM
Before you go doing that growlers try some rebuild in a bottle..... (Power steering stop leak & conditioner)

If Aggy has been sitting for a bit she may just need some softening up & its sh!t loads cheaper if it works & no great loss to your hip pocket if it don't.

The only fall back Ive had doing this in the past is the increase in pressure can sometimes create a leak in a power steering hose but if it does (as in one case of mine) the lines are on the verge of going anyway & better to find out before your off road & miles from anywhere.

growler2058
7th September 2011, 06:08 PM

Cheers mate i'll give it a crack

growler2058
7th September 2011, 06:10 PM

Whats the brand name mate does supa cheap or auto pro do this stuff

pbdarwinnt
20th September 2011, 05:46 PM
I have re sealed these boxes before the seal kit is about $150 You have to be careful when putting the ball bearings back in in as they are different sizes, although they look the same. It isnt a difficult box to to work on otherwise, no special tools needed.

growler2058
20th September 2011, 05:50 PM
I have re sealed these boxes before the seal kit is about $150 You have to be careful when putting the ball bearings back in in as they are different sizes, although they look the same. It isnt a difficult box to to work on otherwise, no special tools needed.

Beauty cheers mate

dirty_dog
6th October 2011, 09:39 PM

what happens if you put the ball bearings back in the wrong order.

also, i've recantly pulled my stearing box apart and put it back together and the turning circle isn't as good what would cause this?

Bigrig
6th October 2011, 11:19 PM
what happens if you put the ball bearings back in the wrong order.

also, i've recantly pulled my stearing box apart and put it back together and the turning circle isn't as good what would cause this?

Turning circle worse both ways?? If only worse one way, then it's off centre and will need to be re-centred.

Silver
7th October 2011, 12:17 AM
Lucas power steering stop leaky kinda stuff was recommended to me by the GQ driving mechanic over the road. It is thick like honey, and seems to be working on Silver's

dirty_dog
7th October 2011, 09:56 PM
haha i pulled appart my steering box today and everything is back to normal, seems i put the pitman shaft in wrong. i took it out fixed it and it's allsweet.