PDA

View Full Version : Fixing GQ/GU auto hubs

YNOT
14th August 2010, 09:18 AM
G'day all,

Auto hubs are the same GQ and GU, they are an auto hub (much the same as any other auto hub) except that they have a manual over ride that allows you to manually lock them in using the wheel brace. This set up, although not as strong as the full manual hubs, give you the best of both worlds. An auto hub for those times when you're not expecting to need 4WD, and a manual hub for when things get serious. Some owners never bother to manually lock them in as they find the auto lock does everything they need, but they run the risk of the hub unlocking when you change direction. Manually locking them stops them unlocking.

The Patrol auto hubs have a habit of making clicking noises and not engaging and disengaging properly. You can fix them by removing the auto locking mechanism, making them a manual hub. Auto becomes free and locked is still locked. And it's easy to do.

Remove the hubs from the vehicle, shift them to the locked position, and using a large screw driver or small lever bar, prise out the auto locking mechanism. There are six steel tangs holding the mechanism in place, so it takes a bit of force to do. You can see which part you need to remove in the photos.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000882Small.jpg
Hub on the right is how it looks when you first remove it from the vehicle, hub on the left has the auto mechanism removed.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000880Small.jpg
This pic shows the underside of the auto mechanism. Hubs are ready to refit.

***NOTE, since posting this I have found that on some GQ's the auto locking mechanism is mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown above. Removing the mechanism may require the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.
Tony

AB
16th August 2010, 08:31 AM
Great info and pics, cheers Tony!

Maxhead
16th August 2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, that looks easy enough.
Would the hub after this mod be as strong as a manual hub?(might be a silly question but I'm not very mechanical)

I haven't had any problems with my auto ones yet but heard they do play up and the option was to go to a manual hub....
the only downside I can see is you wouldn't have the little handle to lock them and would have to use a shifter all the time.

Cool, thanks Tony

YNOT
16th August 2010, 07:20 PM
It really is as easy as it looks.
Strength wise they are not as strong as Nissan manual hubs.
Not sure what you mean having to use a shifter to lock them in? You use the wheel brace to lock in the Nissan auto hubs shown.

Tony

Maxhead
16th August 2010, 07:49 PM
Not sure what you mean having to use a shifter to lock them in? You use the wheel brace to lock in the Nissan auto hubs shown.

Tony

Yes, what I meant was you will need to get a brace to lock/unlock the hubs every time instead just turning the knob (like on manual hubs)
But still a handy little mod for your auto hubs.

Roo72
31st August 2010, 08:07 PM
A 21mm tap(tube) spanner from bunnings plumbing dept. works a treat...just got one this morning....to finish a little plumbing job... tried it out on mine ..neat fit and will easily store in the drivers door console/map pocket so its handy at any time.

Cheers, Roo.

NickBGU4
2nd September 2010, 04:17 PM
Great post Tony, I've done this mod to my Patrol and it works really well.

Finly Owner
10th September 2010, 10:44 PM
G'day all,

The Patrol auto hubs have a habit of making clicking noises and not engaging and disengaging properly. You can fix them by removing the auto locking mechanism, making them a manual hub. Auto becomes free and locked is still locked. And it's easy to do.

Remove the hubs from the vehicle, shift them to the locked position, and using a large screw driver or small lever bar, prise out the auto locking mechanism. There are six steel tangs holding the mechanism in place, so it takes a bit of force to do. You can see which part you need to remove in the photos.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000882Small.jpg
Hub on the right is how it looks when you first remove it from the vehicle, hub on the left has the auto mechanism removed.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000880Small.jpg
This pic shows the underside of the auto mechanism. Hubs are ready to refit.

Tony
another one for Tonys file

my third 256
12th September 2010, 04:01 AM
hi on auto hubs why do they have a lock position on them i thought they locked in automatically
can someone please explaine
thanks stephen

YNOT
12th September 2010, 07:52 AM
They are an auto hub with a manual over ride. Auto hubs can under certain circumstances unlock when you may not want them to, being able to manually lock them in will stop this from happening.

Tony

dalmatia
14th October 2010, 02:02 AM
hi everybody,

i was searching for some infos about nissan patrol's hubs and i found this forum :)
two day ago i heard clicking noise and i didn't know what's happening. later i realized that auto/lock screw is very easy to move left or right. also when i stop the car i can hear "unlocking" noise. if i understood well, i would need to remove the auto mecanism and refit the hub. how safe is to drive like that? i have already ordered a new hub (approx 450 euro).

regards from croatia

Timbo
14th October 2010, 10:53 AM
hi everybody,

i was searching for some infos about nissan patrol's hubs and i found this forum :)
two day ago i heard clicking noise and i didn't know what's happening. later i realized that auto/lock screw is very easy to move left or right. also when i stop the car i can hear "unlocking" noise. if i understood well, i would need to remove the auto mecanism and refit the hub. how safe is to drive like that? i have already ordered a new hub (approx 450 euro).

regards from croatia

Hi Dalmatia,

I have a GU Patrol and had the same problem. I pulled the Auto Hubs apart and removed the auto locking mechanism completely. The hubs now perform just like manual locking hubs. It's fine to drive now and no more problems.

You can use GQ hubs on a GU too, they are virtually the same. I have heard the GQ hubs are a bit stronger but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that.

Cheers

Kreskin
18th October 2010, 09:47 AM
Any idea how it comes they start rattling? Someone told me too much grease inside...

weeman
26th October 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Just to let you know

Hall4x4 are now stocking replacement hubs that are new, they are identical to the genuine hubs, however don't come genuine packaging.

Dont pay high prices for second hand hubs, upgrade to new Free Hubs which are much stronger.

Hall 4x4 can post anywhere in australia,

details of the hubs are here..
http://hall4x4.com.au/nissan-patrol-auto-hub-upgrade-to-free-wheeling-hubs-new/

AB
26th October 2010, 04:14 PM
Cheers for the tip, Those guys are right near me at work and they are a good company!

Welcome to the forum too weeman, don't forget to introduce yourself when you have a chance.

wildgu6
30th October 2010, 12:11 PM
Tony am I correct in saying that if you remove the auto mechanism from the hubs,
It will be permanatley locked in all wheel drive until you select 4wd??????????

Cheers Pete

YNOT
30th October 2010, 01:16 PM
No, after removing the auto mechanism auto becomes unlocked (free) and locked is still locked.

Tony

Chambo Off to Work We Go
1st November 2010, 10:56 PM
I was having clicking and clunking issues with the Auto hubs.
Changed to a set of Manual AVM hubs and no more clicking and clunking......so far!

With the Auto lokka in the front, also gives a bit of peace of mind that it is unlocked when it is supposed to.

I have read a number of threads on forums about these problems and they seem to be very common with the GU auto hubs.

NissanGQ4.2
25th April 2011, 10:36 AM
***NOTE, since posting this I have found that on some GQ's the auto locking mechanism is mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown above. Removing the mechanism may require the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.
Tony

Sorta like this

and if you remove the inner of the auto mechanism, the outer makes the perfect spacer.

gqt
27th July 2011, 07:49 PM
Hey. In need of help. My gq auto hubs were the same as pic above with auto mechanism on the axle. I removed the auto mechanism. Took both sides of and put the circlip back on to hold the axles out still. Now my problem is that my hubs don't lock at all. Is this because I removed both sides of the auto mechanism? Do I need to put one of them back on? And which part should be put back on if this is the case? I've got a 4wd trip on Sunday and only just found out today that they are not locking in. Help will be very much appreciated.

Also I'm able to turn the locking key both ways and keep turning it as much as I like.

Bigrig
27th July 2011, 09:23 PM
Hey. In need of help. My gq auto hubs were the same as pic above with auto mechanism on the axle. I removed the auto mechanism. Took both sides of and put the circlip back on to hold the axles out still. Now my problem is that my hubs don't lock at all. Is this because I removed both sides of the auto mechanism? Do I need to put one of them back on? And which part should be put back on if this is the case? I've got a 4wd trip on Sunday and only just found out today that they are not locking in. Help will be very much appreciated.

Hey mate

We ask that people throw up an intro before asking questions just so we all know a bit about you and your rig and know who we're dealing with - no harm done at all mate, and people will be along to assist with the problem no doubt .

Can you manually lock the hubs in by turning the nut on the hub? Might get you through the weekend and you can look at sorting the auto hubs later - I took my auto hubs out and replaced with a manual set for the very reason that when you get amongst it, the auto hubs just proved unreliable ...

Welcome aboard, and hope you get it sorted for the weekend!!!

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2011, 09:31 PM

I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on, this limits axle movement. what do you mean by they don't lock at all???? if the auto mechanism has been removed you must manually lock your hubs in before engaging 4WD.

Cheers

Todd

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2011, 09:38 PM
Also I'm able to turn the locking key both ways and keep turning it as much as I like.

That is normal as far as i know, mine does the same

gqt
27th July 2011, 10:34 PM
Sorry for not introducing yet. Will do so shortly. I mean when in the lock position they still do not lock.

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2011, 10:47 PM
Sorry for not introducing yet. Will do so shortly. I mean when in the lock position they still do not lock.

how do you know its not locked?????

gqt
27th July 2011, 11:14 PM
From when I was bogged today and it just sunk the 2 rear wheels down in mud while the fronts did nothing.

gqt
28th July 2011, 05:54 PM
this was my problem. this video was taken with both hubs in lock.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/wpn_vl/gqt/?action=view&current=IMG_0757.mp4

i just removed the drivers side front hub, with the hub in lock i could spin the inside with the splines freely with my hand. turned it to auto, same thing which is good. turned back to lock, and could no longer turn by hand, fit the hub back on and all good. so must off had a misalignment issue occur when i removed the auto lock mechanism. not sure why or how, but that's what happend.

going to take both hubs off now and fit one side of the auto mechanism to use as a spacer now, just for some extra reassurance.

taking the part of the auto mechanism that i put back in to use a spacers back out, having them in made the hubs very noisy again, which was the reason i removed the auto mech part in the first place.

starck
3rd August 2011, 08:35 AM
Clicking or not is only matter of proper servicing Your hubs. Auto mode of standard Nissan hubs is very useful and wise solution until You know how to live with it.
Make easy service: open hubs, accurately clean with gasoline getting all old fet/grease out of it, dry it properly and after that put just a bit of Nissan Part Symbol KRC19-00025 grease. DO NOT overdose!!! Overdosing is 99% reason of improperly working hubs.

And then just to remember: always lock them when You plan driving off-road. Even on black hubs might be locked when You shift to H2. The only difference is Your front axles will rotate free making some slide discomfort at high speeds.

gqt
3rd August 2011, 11:23 PM
The clicking went away after a little bit of driving so left the axle side of the auto mechanism in and haven't had any problems since. Worked well offroad :)

Murph the surf
6th November 2012, 07:28 PM
Was having the clicking sound from hubs?
Have had them off but they looked fine
Will now take them off again and clean them out from the excess grease I put in
If that doesn't remedy the problem will do the mod shown in this section
Thanks all
Cheers
Murph the surf

Lieney
6th November 2012, 07:59 PM
Cheers for the simple yet affective pictures and explanation.
I had seen the parts you pull out about 2 years previous and have not done mine yet.
I have had the buzzing / clicking happen a couple times.
I lock the hubs for a little, then unlock and she seems all good.
I am very aware mind you of not activating 4-wheel drive while on the tarmac, as I have seen the outcome on Land Rover 110s when the center diff is locked.
Even more funny when a driver has the power devider on a Mack activated.
Hilarious though, although the driver didn't agree.

jman69
4th May 2014, 07:15 PM
Hey, thanks for this useful link . it explains why i was confused about it's workings. i saw a video about changing hubs and the bloke said something about a spacer. All makes sense now. thanks again.

Where2fromhere
23rd May 2014, 11:00 PM
Wow, who'd have thought. Just read up on FB and thought people were taking the p...
Might look into this little number. Great thread and nice easy instructions to follow especially with these pictures.
Thanks guys

mudman patrol
22nd November 2014, 11:03 AM
I have the same thing as Roo72, But what I did was weld a little 75mm bolt to the side of the tube and it acts like a handle, And that has found a home in my drivers door pocket

billyj
22nd November 2014, 11:52 PM
leaving the outer part as a spacer defeats the point of converting them to manual as your removing only half of the auto cam assembly leaving it partly operable, this WILL cause issues if you like to engage low range with the hubs unlocked(reversing trailers etc) doing so with the outer half still fitted will cause the auto mechanism to be locking and unlocking as it rides up and down on the ring. if you must leave the outer ring in as a spacer grind it down until the raised sections are gone and theres nothing there for the auto locking mechanism to ride up and activate on

mudman patrol
23rd November 2014, 06:17 PM
Hey guys,
I have a quick question, concerning my hubs, When I set them back to auto after a day of locked in fun, the next day or so when I look at them they are half way between locked and auto.
move them back to auto and they move again, by taking out the auto lock fix this and stop it from happening. My trol is a 2006 IV ST wagon.
Thanks

MudRunnerTD
23rd November 2014, 06:20 PM
You need to reverse for upto 5m once you take the hubs back to auto assuming your in 2wd for them to drop out of lock.

mudman patrol
23rd November 2014, 07:56 PM
Yeah I do that, but as I drive in two wheel drive the nuts move half way between auto and locked

HiluxMichael
30th August 2015, 10:54 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/364.jpg

Took the auto locking mechanism out today

SKID
20th March 2016, 01:29 AM
Can some one please tell me clearly, what to remove and what to put back in when reinstalling the hub....

NissanGQ4.2
20th March 2016, 09:05 AM
Can some one please tell me clearly, what to remove and what to put back in when reinstalling the hub....

Just take the auto locking mechanism out which will look like post 39

You should not need 2 put anything back in

Not 100% sure with the GU's but with my GQ the Locking mechanism was mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown in the original post. Removing the auto locking mechanism required the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.

SKID
20th March 2016, 07:21 PM
Just take the auto locking mechanism out which will look like post 39

You should not need 2 put anything back in

Not 100% sure with the GU's but with my GQ the Locking mechanism was mounted on the end of the axle instead of on the hub as shown in the original post. Removing the auto locking mechanism required the fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement.

I don't need to pry out the part in your pictures as when I took the hubs off they came out separately. No I didn't lock the hubs first, I only found that out after removing them doing the wheel bearings and putting hubs back on and the problem started.... I didn't grease them up as they were already full of grease, So do I simply leave that whole assembly out, or do I pull the guts out of it and put piece pictured in your post back in? Also the eg ring thing was sticking out about 3 mm and with a gentle tap of the hammer it now sits flush, should I also remove the egg ring and re seat it back to where it was? Replacing the brake pads, and doing the wheel bearing up was going so well until I screwed up, any further advice would be appreciated....

SKID
20th March 2016, 07:39 PM
I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on, this limits axle movement. what do you mean by they don't lock at all???? if the auto mechanism has been removed you must manually lock your hubs in before engaging 4WD.

Cheers

Todd

When people are referring to a circlip "I used the outer part of the auto locking mechanism 2 act as a washer before putting the circlip back on" where is this circlip? I didn't need to pry out the part in your pictures as when I took the hubs off they came out separately with out any force needed....

SKID
20th March 2016, 07:41 PM
What do I use as a spacer as quoted "fitting of a small spacer to limit axle movement."?

MudRunnerTD
4th January 2018, 04:31 PM
I did this mod in camp last night and it took 10 minutes for both sides.

Blew the hub completely today damn it. Got me out of trouble though.

NissanGQ4.2
4th January 2018, 08:59 PM
I did this mod in camp last night and it took 10 minutes for both sides.

Blew the hub completely today damn it. Got me out of trouble though.

What ever where you doing 2 cause the hub 2 blow completely Daz?

BENDOVA
10th August 2023, 11:09 AM
Hi new here, I feel like you guys are more than knowledgeable to help

I recently done new front inner and outer wheel bearing on my y61 SWB Patrol

All back together and test drive presented a clicking/ ratcheting noise from front hubs, Thought i had installed on correctly but once removed and reinstalled (No force needed to reinstall they were aligned correctly) they still clicked.

Not a nice noise at all.

My guess is to much grease on the bearing side is applying pressure to the hub allowing it to semi engage.

I have removed the auto brake as above and other photos have shown, I pried it out the whole auto assm nothing more nothing less.

I didn't take notice of the position the hub was set to when removing and reinstalling, again no force was required to reinstall (As you would expect due to no auto brake to push on)

NOW I HAVE NO FRONT WHEEL ENGAGEMENT LOL

WHY

Have i reinstalled incorrectly? the 4wd worked fine before I'm not going to consider the diff or transfer at this stage (the front drive shaft is moving when in 4 low but when on a hoist hubs locked I have no power from front diff to front wheels)

I plan on removing hubs and trying again this weekend, I will upload a pic of what i have removed so you guys know I'm not stupid hehe,

Hope someone can pint out what I've done wrong and I can use my once auto hubs as LOCK or UNLOCK (manual) hubs yay

Ben.

Photos

mudnut
10th August 2023, 02:32 PM
Hi new here, I feel like you guys are more than knowledgeable to help

I recently done new front inner and outer wheel bearing on my y61 SWB Patrol

All back together and test drive presented a clicking/ ratcheting noise from front hubs, Thought i had installed on correctly but once removed and reinstalled (No force needed to reinstall they were aligned correctly) they still clicked.

Not a nice noise at all.

My guess is to much grease on the bearing side is applying pressure to the hub allowing it to semi engage.

I have removed the auto brake as above and other photos have shown, I pried it out the whole auto assm nothing more nothing less.

I didn't take notice of the position the hub was set to when removing and reinstalling, again no force was required to reinstall (As you would expect due to no auto brake to push on)

NOW I HAVE NO FRONT WHEEL ENGAGEMENT LOL

WHY

Have i reinstalled incorrectly? the 4wd worked fine before I'm not going to consider the diff or transfer at this stage (the front drive shaft is moving when in 4 low but when on a hoist hubs locked I have no power from front diff to front wheels)

I plan on removing hubs and trying again this weekend, I will upload a pic of what i have removed so you guys know I'm not stupid hehe,

Hope someone can pint out what I've done wrong and I can use my once auto hubs as LOCK or UNLOCK (manual) hubs yay

Ben.

Photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0Plk7Yscg

mudski
10th August 2023, 02:54 PM
Do they click with the front wheels jacked up and by spinning the wheel by hand? If yes unlock one side at a time to see which side its coming from. Are the wheels straight, turned or both, does it happen?