PDA

View Full Version : Fitting second fuel filter

snicko
5th September 2011, 09:17 PM
Hubby is fitting a second fuel filter.
My question is as the new fittings are a little smaller in diamater than the ones on the original filter will that make the fuel pump work harder?? Is there anything else he should do?

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030108sized.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030115sized.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/snicko1/public/P1030116sized.jpg

JoeG
5th September 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Snicko
I have done the same and find no adverse performance
Joe

buzz
8th September 2011, 10:49 PM
where do you position the second filter, before or after the original filter?

jamie

snicko
8th September 2011, 10:53 PM
where do you position the second filter, before or after the original filter?

jamie

Before the original one.

buzz
8th September 2011, 10:57 PM
cool, thank you.

JoeG
9th September 2011, 10:46 AM
Before the original one.
In my case I have made my S/W into a Cab Chassis so I had room under the tray to fit 2 filter separators
1st is on the fuel transfer line from the Sub Tank to the main tank
2nd is on the fuel line from main tank to the engine
So no change under the bonnet
I also lowered the fuel pick up and sender arm on the Sub Tank as it would only take 28l each fill- it now takes 34l per fill
I usually fill the Sub tank and transfer when the main gets to i/2 full, this then gives me pre filtered fuel to the main tank when ever possible

snicko
9th September 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks thats a good idea! We haven't fitted ours yet so I will show hubby tonight what you have done. The pics are excellent and shows it exactly. Thank you.

XTC
9th September 2011, 11:48 AM
You can also buy an adaptor plate which converts your original filter housing to accept the C.A.V. filters. I've been running one of these for a while now.

Also be carefull using the Ryco filters with these setups on diesel vehicles. I had trouble a couple of months ago with the Ryco filters not allowing enough flow through, and sucking the primer pump closed, and starving the motor of diesel. The best information I could get was that the Rycos are not setup for diesel fuel, and the best brand to use is the genuine Delphi 296 (HDF296).

YNOT
9th September 2011, 11:55 AM
Where do you buy the adaptor plates?

Tony

snicko
9th September 2011, 11:59 AM
You can also buy an adaptor plate which converts your original filter housing to accept the C.A.V. filters. I've been running one of these for a while now.

Also be carefull using the Ryco filters with these setups on diesel vehicles. I had trouble a couple of months ago with the Ryco filters not allowing enough flow through, and sucking the primer pump closed, and starving the motor of diesel. The best information I could get was that the Rycos are not setup for diesel fuel, and the best brand to use is the genuine Delphi 296 (HDF296).

Could you use two of the Delphi filters like JoeG has on his rig? (We already have one)

XTC
9th September 2011, 12:09 PM
I did a quick Google search and found that 4WD Systems sell them, and I also read a while back that Enzed were selling them. I got mine from Berrima Diesel about 8 years ago.

Can't see why you couldn't use two in line.

snicko
9th September 2011, 12:18 PM
I did a quick Google search and found that 4WD Systems sell them, and I also read a while back that Enzed were selling them. I got mine from Berrima Diesel about 8 years ago.

Can't see why you couldn't use two in line.

We bought ours from our local Diesel Workshop/outlet. My original question was the out let is a little smaller and will this make the fuel pump work harder?

JoeG
9th September 2011, 06:51 PM
The original filter is on the pump suction
The new filter separator will also be on the pump suction doubling the resistance,
it will mean as either one or both filters gets dirty you will slowly loose throughput and power
How ever I fitted the same set up on my 1992 Hilux in 1994 and have not changed the factory fitted filter since then!
I did however fit a new factory filter in 1994 when I fitted the CAV pre filter/separator setup
I clean the glass bowl every 6 months and get around 10 - 20ml of black sludge and around 3ml of grit out of it
Change the filter around every 2 years or 40,000km and no problems in all that time
The set up on the GU will be treated the same
Interestingly the Hilux has spent it's entire life on the east coast and I get fuel from high volume fuel outlets
Still get sludge and grit though!
We did get a load of wet fuel in Sydney (Kellyville) last year when we had a Rodeo and it stuttered on every hill at full throttle till I drained both filters and go rid of the water! (seems thenflow rate was high enough TO PASS THROUGH the Rodeo separator
That's why I fitted the pre filter separator on the GU
Joe

snicko
10th September 2011, 03:44 PM
Hubby has decided to fit the filter under the bonnet and cant prime the new filter. What would be the problem?

patch697
10th September 2011, 04:06 PM
this might sound silly but they do have an in & an out so is it inline facing the correct way?

Other then that check for air leaks in the fittings & the assembly itself.

snicko
10th September 2011, 04:19 PM
This is the way he has fitted the hoses. Number 2 is hooked up to the tank and Number 4 is hooked up to the original filter.

patch697
10th September 2011, 04:23 PM
That looks right so what has he tried to do so far?

snicko
10th September 2011, 05:11 PM
He has just tried to prime using the original filter primer.

patch697
10th September 2011, 05:17 PM
Ok I made a call to Tony to confirm what I was thinking & it may pay to wait until someone else to come along & have some input here as they may have a trick or two up there sleeve but I would start with filling the new filter with Diesel as a start.

JoeG
10th September 2011, 06:20 PM
Hi Snicko
As you have placed the filter separator under the bonnet this will always be a problem each time the filter is replaced, (unfortunately you can't fill the filter as the fuel gravity flows back to the tank)
However it is quite simple to fix in a few different ways
1. Remove the fuel line from the outlet of the original filter fit a long length of fuel hose to it (say 1 metre) and suck the fuel through, then place hose in a plastic bucket and prime till air stops then re connect original fuel line
2. park on a hill facing down hill and when all fitted up start engine and drive away, the engine will run for a while then flame out on fuel starvation then re start as the fuel comes through
(Only works for manuals)
I use both methods as I have only manuals and live on a very steep hill
Good luck
Joe

snicko
10th September 2011, 07:51 PM
Just finished fitting the filter.

Filled the filter up with diesel and the hose to the original pump filled it up as well. Tightened everything, primed until it went tight and she started first time. WO HO
Didn't miss at all.

Will take it for a run tomorrow as its dark now.

macca
10th September 2011, 09:03 PM
Saw your thread earlier, see you have had successs, excelent.
Did the same to MacTrol

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/maccas01/Nissan%20builds/IMG_3217.jpg

Took a pic but too late for you.
Macca

snicko
11th September 2011, 03:41 PM
Took the truck for a test drive today and it didn't miss a beat.

Thanks to the guys who helped especially those on here on a Saturday avo. The phone calls were much appreciated too.