PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the Corryong to Omeo Run Recently?

Dirty Driver
5th September 2011, 08:53 PM
G'day folks,

I'm planning a trip to Gippsland (Lake Entrance) later this year and we are currently looking at the option of coming home via Benambra and the Nariel Valley along the Corryong - Benambra Road.
Anyone been along this piece of gravel lately?

Any tips of pieces of advice?

:cheers:

DD

Dirty Driver
19th October 2011, 10:39 PM
Folks,

Have just returned from the trip down to Lakes and we did come back over the top from Benambra to Corryong. What a drive!
The road (67 km of gravel) is in magnificent condition, you could easily take a family sedan over the road.
Scenery from Omeo right through to Corryong is breathtaking. From the open plains around Omeo and Benambra to the spectacular high country vistas on either side of the road at Sassafras Gap. From the top you could look west and see Mt Bogong and Feathertop. Drive 300 - 500 m down the road, look right and cop an eyeful of the snow covered main range.

Didn't encounter much traffic along the route, but one needs to be aware of the logging activity in the region and that larger vehicles are known to traverse this road during summer.
Would recommend that anyone making the journey pack a chainsaw for insurance. It's a long back around if you do come across a tree.

All in all would highly recommend it as a day of weekend trip. Plenty of side tracks and features to explore also. No doubt the fishing wouldn't be too bad either.

Cheers
DD

Bigrig
20th October 2011, 01:00 AM
Any happy snaps mate? We love our photos!!!! lol

nowoolies
20th October 2011, 01:04 AM
Folks,

Have just returned from the trip down to Lakes and we did come back over the top from Benambra to Corryong. What a drive!
The road (67 km of gravel) is in magnificent condition, you could easily take a family sedan over the road.
Scenery from Omeo right through to Corryong is breathtaking. From the open plains around Omeo and Benambra to the spectacular high country vistas on either side of the road at Sassafras Gap. From the top you could look west and see Mt Bogong and Feathertop. Drive 300 - 500 m down the road, look right and cop an eyeful of the snow covered main range.

Didn't encounter much traffic along the route, but one needs to be aware of the logging activity in the region and that larger vehicles are known to traverse this road during summer.
Would recommend that anyone making the journey pack a chainsaw for insurance. It's a long back around if you do come across a tree.

All in all would highly recommend it as a day of weekend trip. Plenty of side tracks and features to explore also. No doubt the fishing wouldn't be too bad either.

Cheers
DD

piccies we luv piccies ................so where are they hahahahahahahahahahaha

strewth we keep tellin peoples lol

Dirty Driver
24th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry folks, no piccies on this occasion! I know I've let everyone down this time...
Too busy trying to keep the bus on the road and not have four passengers being car sick in the car.
Will try to make amends for my misgivings when I head back down that way later next month.

Stay tuned around the start of December.

Cheers
DD