PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a 2003 ST manual Patrol

Barry Callen
5th September 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys,
I am looking a buying my first 4x4 and have set my sights on a Patrol. What advice can you give me re what to look for. Any particular issues with high kms (200,00kms) ?. I am more than able to service and repair most things so am not afraid to get a bit dirty.

YNOT
5th September 2011, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Barry.

What engine are you looking at, TD42T, ZD30, or TB48?
TD42's are ultra reliable, keep water and oil in these things and they'll go just about forever, expect to pay a premium to buy one though.
ZD30 has a dubious history but by 2003 most of the bugs had been ironed out. It still pays to do a few "engine saver" mods to make sure they stay reliable.
TB48 has a good bit of grunt but can be thirsty, very reliable.

Gearboxes are generally very reliable in both auto and manual but feel for torque converter lock up shudder in auto's at speeds over about 80km/h. Can be an expensive repair as the lock up clutch lining material can go right through the box causing damage.

Transfer cases, drive shafts and diffs are the best in the business.

Check the big back door (with the spare wheel on it) for cracks down the side of the window on the L/H side.

Tony

growler2058
5th September 2011, 05:08 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of great info and advice

Ben-e-boy
5th September 2011, 05:08 PM
If you are looking for a well kept low km ( 200,000 km for a td42t is just run in) expect to pay top dollar as tony said and set aside 6 months of your life to find one.

one trick I have used with every car I have ever owned is that you request that the engine be stone cold on veiwing so you can take the oil cap off and stick your fingers into the wells of the head. if the vehicle has a poor service history this will be evident when you find bits of sludgey grit on your finger tips. no sludge or grit there is a good chance that the vehicle has been well maintained.

YNOT
5th September 2011, 05:31 PM
one trick I have used with every car I have ever owned is that you request that the engine be stone cold on veiwing so you can take the oil cap off and stick your fingers into the wells of the head. if the vehicle has a poor service history this will be evident when you find bits of sludgey grit on your finger tips. no sludge or grit there is a good chance that the vehicle has been well maintained.

Suggest only doing this while the engine is off haha! But it is a good test. Have the bonnet open when the engine is first started cold and listen carefully for any rattles, knocks etc from the engine.

Tony

Sir Roofy
5th September 2011, 05:51 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

Barry Callen
5th September 2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the Info Tony. I reckon it is likely to be the ZD30 engine, so where can I get info re relevant "engine saver" mods?.

YNOT
5th September 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the Info Tony. I reckon it is likely to be the ZD30 engine, so where can I get info re relevant "engine saver" mods?.

Have a read of this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4421-Caring-for-your-diesel&highlight=gren02

Tony