PDA

View Full Version : D Gas for 2.8 TD

phil dean
5th September 2011, 12:24 PM
HI folks, I have a 1998 GU 2.8TD and would like to know if anyone has ideas for giving it a bit of a kick in the tail! Is the DGas conversion a good thing or is there a better way, apart from chucking it out? Phil.

YNOT
5th September 2011, 01:44 PM
Have you done anything to it so far?
A 3" exhaust, 14Psi boost and an power chip will make a significant difference to a standard motor.

Tony

Timbo
5th September 2011, 01:54 PM
Have you done anything to it so far?
A 3" exhaust, 14Psi boost and an power chip will make a significant difference to a standard motor.

Tony

14psi you say... hmmm..

I haven't cranked any boost into mine because according to my boost gauge, under full load it appears to about about 13psi. I know 1 PSI can be a significant difference though.

Timbo
5th September 2011, 01:58 PM
Oh and to back what Tony said up (not that I need to because he is pretty much God around here Phil) I have done the mods that T0ny listed.

3" exhaust (no mufflers), blocked the EGR off and installed a diesel chip (was like $200 from Italy). It's a fairly big difference in driveability. It's no power house by any means, but it's far easier to drive.

I've picked up a gear around the streets. By that, I mean some hills I know for a fact I need 3rd gear with the standard 2.8. After the couple mods Tony listed, I now do those same hills in 4th gear.

Oh and of course, it's a weapon in the bush in low range, just like any other Patrol with a factory motor.. (ie: not LS1 V8's or twin turbo 4.8's :P )

YNOT
5th September 2011, 03:13 PM
14psi you say... hmmm..

I haven't cranked any boost into mine because according to my boost gauge, under full load it appears to about about 13psi. I know 1 PSI can be a significant difference though.

OK then, MOST 2.8's I believe are running 7-8Psi boost standard so upping the boost to 14 Psi will make a difference, but if you lucky like Timbo and yours is already cranking out 13 Psi then it won't make much difference.
Timbo did mention someting I had forgotten and that was blocking the EGR.

Tony

phil dean
5th September 2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info Tony, I haven't done any mods at all yet, thought I'd get the good guts first! Is the boost adjustable as standard or external bits required? How difficult is chip change?

YNOT
5th September 2011, 05:21 PM
Before you do any mods the first thing I would be doing is installing boost and pyro gauges so you can keep an eye on the engine.

Use something like this to adjust boost; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbosmart-Boost-Controller-Boost-Tee-Brand-New-/150655745446?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2313c83da6

I've never done a chip change so others will be able to help more but I think it's relatively easy if you have some mechanical and electronic knowledge. Some of the more expensive chips may need dyno tuning.

Tony