PDA

View Full Version : Faulty radiator

Aquarian51
13th August 2010, 11:41 PM
I had a new radiator fitted about ten (10) months ago. This week I noticed that the 'strap' that 'wraps' from the top of the radiator over the side tank has become unsoldered, and there is a 5 mm gap. I took it back to the Radiator place where it was fitted and there was another guy there also in GQ Patrol. He has had two replacement radiators fitted and both of them have had the same thing happen to both of them.

The owner of the Radiator shop said it's an all too common problem with 4wd radiators. He says he'll do what he can for me when I take my receipt in (if I can find it!).

Just wondering if there are better quality radiators for off-roading? I imagine the competition 4wd's must have a more substantial radiator. Anyone got any ideas or contacts?

cheers

Len

patch697
14th August 2010, 12:21 AM
Do you know what brand you have in there now Len?

Most Rad shops buy in complete units now from cheapo suppliers as there cheaper than re-coring one but if you are after a good radiator then I suggest you find someone who is prepared to re-core yours as the workmanship is normally far superior than a pre-fab unit.

In terms of pre-fab Natra are about the best of them but word is that thay are bringing in the cheaper ones from overseas to? I don't know it that is true or not though.

I hope this is of some help

Cheers
Paul

Aquarian51
14th August 2010, 12:41 AM
No I don't know what brand it is, Paul. I'll try and find out. I've been given the phone number of the wholesaler who supplied the Rad shop, but haven't had the opportunity to ring them yet. The other GQ owner did and he is taking his up to Perth to show them on Tuesday morning. He said he'd ring me and let me know how he gets on.

The owner of the Rad shop appears reluctant to repair it himself, it seems he wants to see what the wholesaler says about repairing/replacing it.

cheers

Len

patch697
14th August 2010, 12:55 AM
Well that sound dodgy for starters, If he supplies them then it should be up to him to chase down & deal with the wholesaler (he's supplier) not the customer????

Im sure you & the other GQ owner didn't pay Wholesale price for your goods therefore its not your responsibility to chase it up with he's supplier, Its he's. In exactly the same way you have done with him ( your supplier)

Somethings don't sound right here Len.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
14th August 2010, 07:12 AM
If you're after a good quality radiator, try PWR. Queensland made quality!!!

Tony

Aquarian51
25th August 2010, 12:17 AM
Good news. I spoke to the wholesalers and they said they cover it. So the local guy took the radiator out and re-soldered the 'straps' on all four corners of the radiator (as the other three were showing signs of breaking off), today. He is billing the wholesaler.

Tony, the wholesaler gets the radiators from Queensland, but they are manufactured in Thailand apparently.

Thanks for your input, guys.

regards

Len

patch697
25th August 2010, 10:02 AM
Glad to see you got it sorted Len, its just a shame you copped all the leg work.
I'd be giving that rad bloke a miss from now on if I was you though.

Thanks for the update BTW

Cheers
Paul