PDA

View Full Version : speedometer not working

trmays
4th September 2011, 11:01 AM
g'day,

i own a 1990 ford maverick manual with the 4.2 liter engine. i have a speedo problem. its not working at all. i have checked the speedo sensor and that is working fine. i was wondering if there is anyway to check the speedometer itself? anyhelp would be great.

Thanks

Yendor
4th September 2011, 11:53 AM
Hi trimays, Welcome to the forum.

Does the odometer and trip meter still work?

trmays
5th September 2011, 01:15 PM
hey Yendor,

no they both are not working. i have had a look on the net and it seems that most people just buy a new one or one from the wreckers. but as i am uni student i dont have that much money so if there is something in the speedo that can be checked or replaced that commonly goes wrong that would be great.

thanks alot for your reply

Yendor
6th September 2011, 11:46 AM
The most common thing that goes wrong with them would be the speedo sensor, Did you test this as per the workshop manual?

The problem I had with my speedo what the plastic that holds the drive motor for the odometer and trip meter broke, but this only stopped the odometer and trip meter from working.

Have you checked the fuse?

All I can suggest is to remove the speedo and check connections and solder joints.

When its out you could also check continuity of the wires between the vehicle speed sensor and gauge and also check for a short to ground.

You could try posting a thread in the wanted section for a speedo???

Silver
6th September 2011, 04:30 PM
There might or might not be some legal issues, but having paid for a new transducer (the sensor unit on the box of cogs) I thought that I should have just used the GPS as a speedo. Cheaper, plus I already had a couple!

nowoolies
6th September 2011, 05:06 PM
its a ford ...is the motor running hahahaha sorry someone had to say it
anyroad
g`day mate
welcome on board
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul
p:s piccies we luv piccies

trmays
7th September 2011, 05:30 PM
hey guys thanks for your resposes.

i have got it goin. i thought i would write down how i worked out what was wrong to help some other people who might have the same problem.

i checked the continuity in the speedo sendor and everything was fine. i then checked the speedo sensor by spinning the gear and checking that voltage was being created and it was. so i pulled the speedometer out and had a look at the solder joints. i then checked the suss looking ones with the multimeter and found that the four that are for the coil were dodgy and one of the transistors had dodgy solders. so i re soldered them all and now everything works fine. i hope this helps anyone else who is having similar problems.