PDA

View Full Version : Knocking and banging.....

Airstrike
2nd September 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Guys,

Recently I have had a few issues with the radius arms that to my knowledge have now been sorted.

The last few days as I am turning a corner, going over speed bumps and coming to a hard brake there is a loud thud and I can feel something possibly moving under the drivers floor pan or in the front right. I have inspected the best I can and have found nothing loose. Since this problem started to occur hen slowing at approx 5 to 10km the front wheel shake and shake and shake (but only sometimes). NOW if I had ABS then I would say it felt like ABS kicking in.

Being the paranoid man I am I hope that the front end isn’t falling apart and it may be a part or something a little easy.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers
Ryan

nowoolies
2nd September 2011, 12:02 PM
i had noises clunking banging from under the front
turned out to be the panard was loose as and i only got 24,000 on the clock hahahahah
two differant wheel shops had a look first could`nt find it
then Nissan Midland found it
they lifted the body up by lifting from the rails
so everything suspension wise ,was loose and found the problem in 2 min`s
all fixed and no banging
i thought the front end was gunna fall off hahahahahahaha

taslucas
2nd September 2011, 12:08 PM
Could it be a wheel bearing? Or movement in the brake caliper? Or tie-rod/steering rod bush (or whatever its called!).
Good luck

RustyR
13th September 2011, 11:41 PM
Could also be the chassi body rubbers

patch697
13th September 2011, 11:57 PM
The problem with this is the body mount, rear radius arm mount & the tierod are all in close proximity to each other but I've got a similar thign going on & I am checking it out tomorrow so I;ll post what I find up here & see if it helps.

Bigrig
14th September 2011, 12:00 AM
Could also be the chassi body rubbers

Hey mate - how about slapping up and intro in the introductions section. Just something we ask for mate, and let's everyone know who they're yakking with - no harm done and hope you hang around and enjoy the forum.

Welcome aboard.

-ET 4wd-
17th September 2011, 02:35 AM
check the rear bushes on the front radius arms, then as mentioned check the bushes on the panhard, and lastly the front bushes in the radius arms.
Can check the rear radius arm bushes by leaving the car in gear and rocking the front tyre back and forward while watching the back of the arm for movement, there will be some but you will notice excess!!!
To check the panhard bushes start the car and get someone to jump in, climb under the front and get the person in the car to do short jerky turns back and forward and check for excess movement in the panhard.
The first test can also be used to check the front bushes but you will have to climb under while someone elses rocks the car back and forward and then check them.
As for if they seem tight, run a spanner over them anyway, 22mm form memory ;)

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 08:19 AM
check the rear bushes on the front radius arms, then as mentioned check the bushes on the panhard, and lastly the front bushes in the radius arms.
Can check the rear radius arm bushes by leaving the car in gear and rocking the front tyre back and forward while watching the back of the arm for movement, there will be some but you will notice excess!!!
To check the panhard bushes start the car and get someone to jump in, climb under the front and get the person in the car to do short jerky turns back and forward and check for excess movement in the panhard.
The first test can also be used to check the front bushes but you will have to climb under while someone elses rocks the car back and forward and then check them.
As for if they seem tight, run a spanner over them anyway, 22mm form memory ;)

Hope this helps,

Steve.

I swapped his panhard (for my extended one) as his was too short and the wheels were about 20mm towards the drivers side. The rear bushes on the radius arms are new also.

He's up at Fraser at the moment and we went through the truck before he left - it's an odd one and if it were on the passenger side, I'd think engine mount, but alas not - will check that also just to be sure ....

patch697
17th September 2011, 09:57 AM
The problem with this is the body mount, rear radius arm mount & the tierod are all in close proximity to each other but I've got a similar thign going on & I am checking it out tomorrow so I;ll post what I find up here & see if it helps.

Well I went over it & couldn't find a bloody thig wrong.....Bugga.

So this will take a lot more investigation. I'll get back to you if I find anything.

White Elephant
17th September 2011, 07:29 PM
Just a theory, but does this vehicle have a standard drag link?And does it have a lift kit? I could be a little wrong but I believe this moderately changes the steering angles which may cuase tie rod ends etc to bump where they otherwise wouldn't. When I lifted and did the front end of my Patrol (GQ...I don't see any reference to model on here,new to forum so could be fluff) I had issues with a thud in the front end aswell. Turns out the new drag link was a few mm's too long so I had it machined down, did a bit of a play about to make sure everything was sitting nice, and now everything is peachy.

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 11:26 AM
I had a mystery clunk, turned out to be the coil spring clunking on the lower mount/perch. Slipped a thick piece of rubber in between and no more clunk.

tiggar03
12th November 2011, 01:49 PM
hi there have you had a look at the swaybar drop arms i know mine are abit on the buggered side an they made a really good clunk every now an again when slowing down and turning if the road surface is uneven.