PDA

View Full Version : RD28 to RB25DET

Evolution
31st August 2011, 11:54 PM
I know it's been done before, but there is still very little information available on this conversion.

I'm in the process of doing one at the moment on a GU Patrol, so I thought it might be a good idea to make a tutorial of the entire project.

I'll try to make it step by step, with lots of pics. I'll also include part numbers and descriptions of anything that has to bought in to do the job.

Evolution
2nd September 2011, 09:49 AM
There's been a slight delay on this build, the RB25 that turned up had been leaking from pretty much every gasket. A replacement should be here today (fingers crossed).

Timbo
2nd September 2011, 11:41 AM
i'll be very interested to read your build up as I have the 2.8 as well.

Have a nice rb30 turbo sitting in a VL at home.. rebuilt about 10,000km's ago makes about 200rwkw's on 13psi.
Trouble is I like the VL lol!

fat pete
2nd September 2011, 08:20 PM
any updates on the conversion,id like to fit the turbo to my rb30,wont be this summer though.

Evolution
2nd September 2011, 09:57 PM
Not yet, the other engine didn't arrive today. If it dosen't turn up on monday, we'll do the build with the engine we have.

This is the down-side of customers supplying their own parts.

YNOT
2nd September 2011, 10:08 PM
Have you got a custom flywheel organised?

Tony

Evolution
3rd September 2011, 12:22 AM
I haven't done anything to the RB25 yet as I didn't know if it was going to be used, the owner wasn't happy when we called him up and asked if he wanted the leaks fixed while the engine was out. Apparently he bought a low km engine in "as new" condition, and was promised it would have no leaks.

Looks as though the RD28 flywheel will bolt straight on once the dowel is removed from the RB, having a heavier flywheel wont be such a bad thing in this installation. It will also allow the use of the RD28 starter motor.

I'll definately know on Monday if this will work.

YNOT
3rd September 2011, 06:33 AM
The trouble with using the GU RD28 flywheel is it is a dual mass flywheel weighing 21kg, while it will bolt up and work on the back of a RB25 it was never designed to spin at 7500rpm which the RB25 is easily capable of.

Shown in photo is custom flywheel (on the left) which keeps the same thickness flywheel so the clutch face and ring gear stay in the normal position but only weighs 9.5kg. Machined from billet steel.

Tony

Evolution
3rd September 2011, 09:57 AM
This dosen't have a duel mass flywheel. If it did, I would have pulled it out and thrown it in the bin. All they are is expensive getting upto $4000 for a non-repairable item. I've seen them fail in as little as 60,000km.

I would say the flywheel was replaced last time the clutch was done.

HammerBuilder
13th July 2012, 10:22 PM
Hey Evolution any updates to this thread as its been a while n not much been put on here ?????
Cheers for any more info as I am also thinking of this in my GQ 2.8 if I gotta get a new injection pump & its getting long in the tooth with over 330k's on it. Maybe cheaper to stick 1 of these in.

-mike-
13th August 2013, 01:31 PM
Hi "evolution"
i know thios is an old thread but,
did you end up finishing the rb25 conversion?
looking at doing this swap into my gu patrol in the next couple of weeks.. any advice on the swap?