PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Kid's gone Bush in Oz

gibbonz
13th August 2010, 08:57 PM
Working and traveling around this vast country. Started off nearly 3 years ago in North Queensland, near Mt Isa, explored the Gulf, Lawn Hill, (swam with freshy crocs) Normanton, Karumba, Croyden, then down the inland route to Lismore, NSW via Winton, Longreach, Carnarvon , Roma, Warwick, 2500km. Patrol RD2.8 wagon, towing a 16ft older van, with a rooftop tent for exploring. Back to NZ for a catch up

Then into Coolah for 5 months, (valley of the winds) and it was, and cold too (12 frosts down to -6 in a row) Explored in every direction, just loved Mudgee and their wine, Warrenbungles etc.. Then Summer in NZ, and back to Balranald, NSW on the Murrumbidgee, explored Mungo NP, Yanga, and hired a houseboot on the Murray at Mildura. Next we were in Minindee but no water in the lakes, checked out Broken Hill, Silverton, Mutawintji NP, White Cliffs, then traveled out to Adelaide, Sold the van, 2.8RD not enough pull. Down around the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne, what a great drive this is too. Then drove up to Lismore NSW, (sold the rooftop tent) and back to NZ.

Returned a few months ago to drive from Lismore to Walgett, exploring Lightning ridge, (great visit, with hot artesiasn baths, and so much to see, Mt Kaptur NP, Narrabri and down to Dubbo. Then a return down to Balranald where we now have an RV4 Oz tent (not scared of snakes and crocks any more). Planning next adventure, but we follow the work.

DX grunt
13th August 2010, 09:01 PM
Welcome gibbonz.

You bin every where man! Half your luck. Thanks for leaving the best till last - West OZ - God's creation! lol. Plenty to see and do over here.

Look forward to talking.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Finly Owner
13th August 2010, 09:03 PM
Hi and welcome Gibbo. Looks like you've seen more of Oz than most Aussies. You'll find everyone here friendly jovial and helpful. We range from Kids to Gramps (hee hee that'll get me in trouble). Ladies and gents. Search our forum for travel, parts, advice. And most of all enjoy.

Woof
13th August 2010, 09:03 PM
Welcome Gibbonz, if you ever get to WA give me a yell.

PS I'm the OLD one......................you will keep Finly

Finly Owner
13th August 2010, 09:12 PM
See Gramps (think a name change is due AB) i'm Tim the patrol is Finly. Finlys' good but he can't type. Hence Finly Owner.

Might even do some pics on weekend

Maxhead
13th August 2010, 09:48 PM
G'Day Gibbonz, welcome to the forum mate.

Cheers
Kris

AB
13th August 2010, 09:49 PM
Welcome mate, very jealous of your adventures so far!

Feel free to ask anything you like and join in the conversations.

Andy

RustyNails
13th August 2010, 11:14 PM
Gidday Gibbo, I lived in the Isa for a while and had a ball.
Welcome

Paul

patch697
14th August 2010, 01:06 AM
Thats one hell of an adventure your having Gibbo & by the sounds of it your having a blast...

Welcome mate good to have you on board....

If you have pic put them up mate. I myself & im sure others would love to see what you've been up to.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
14th August 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi gibbo, Welcome, Wow ime jelous,good trips you do. What part of NZ you from. Im'e originally from palmy nth.

gibbonz
14th August 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome,
89GQ, Plasnart, Wanganui (No H) born and bred, spent 7 years in Palmy, Returned to building after 25 years in the meat industry, coldstorage. My partner is A Nurse and while she worked, I built and renovated a number of houses that we have for rentals. We rented the house we lived in, put everything in a container and left town!! Go back a couple of times a year for maintenance, but Property manager is doing day to day.
In Oz, My partner gets work in outback Hospitals, (Aussies don't like to leave the sea side) I get carpentry work.
Thanks for the welcome
PS Kids think I am strange.... Supposed to be at "home" mowing lawns and helping them... 25 + years of that..... Thanks

89GQ
15th August 2010, 01:00 AM
Small world i was in the cold rooms at new plymoth for a few years, Down by the port!