PDA

View Full Version : Rusty frames on the rear side sliding windows GQ

GQsweep
31st August 2011, 11:48 AM
This must be a common problem as I rarely see them not rusty.
When I bought my GQ 10yrs ago the frame were in pretty good nick. And a few people commented on them. However, time, neglect has caught up with them and they need to be replaced. I fear that I may have left it too late and the body under the seals may also be rusty.

The cost of new ones and the installation costs are daunting especially cause I'm SWB.

Any alternatives? Has anyone done a DIY?

Chris

Bob
31st August 2011, 11:53 AM
Try this. They are for a lwb but if you contact them they might have plans for the swb

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5420-Nissan-patrol-fixed-side-glass-with-rubber-new-lwb

GQsweep
31st August 2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks Bob. Quick reply! I'll give them a ring. Local auto glazier couldn't help me 'cause the glass had to be curved. These guys look like they've solved that.

Chris

AB
31st August 2011, 01:47 PM
Mine are the same mate, rusting out.

If I had money I would be looking into that seller that Bob pointed out too.

They look like good value for money.

Bigrig
31st August 2011, 01:49 PM
Mine are the same mate, rusting out.

If I had money I would be looking into that seller that Bob pointed out too.

They look like good value for money.

Should be getting some in the next week or so and will be able to comment. If the product is like their service, it should be top notch!

AB
31st August 2011, 01:54 PM
Should be getting some in the next week or so and will be able to comment. If the product is like their service, it should be top notch!

Sounds good, look forward to it mate!

GQsweep
1st September 2011, 04:45 PM
OK, well Bob's referral turned up a dead end - for me anyway. OZ Auto Moulds don't do the rubbers for the SWB and worse still the glass is not available for the SWB anyway. I should say that it's not available from NAG (National Auto Glass).
Apparently they are the major windscreen and auto glass suppliers in Aus. Maybe someone else can supply the glass but at this stage I'm stumped. :(

The only option for me as it stands now is OEM frames and rubbers or just put up with what I've got.

Chris

Silver
1st September 2011, 04:59 PM
replacing the rubbers in the wagon was easy and wife and I aren't all that mechanical and had previously had nothing to do with windows.

GQsweep
2nd September 2011, 10:00 AM
OK, news, if anyone else with a SWB GQ is watching this.

Found this listing on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250874636158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_922

Was a little curious about the mixed application MQ/GQ so gave them a ring. Tony got back to me and explained that it was an error and the glass was for the MQ with the plastic hardtop. He also explained that he was having issues with getting more for the GQ made as he no longer had his samples.
He had had numerous enquiries and was endeavoring to get a run of them made ASAP.
Said he'd keep my details and get back when that was done.

So at this stage I'll sit on my hands unless something else crops up and wait for him to get back - monitoring eBay in the meantime.
He suggested that the cost would be about $125 per glass + $44 for the rubber.
They certainly are out there and I've seen at least 2 eBay listings for the SWB GQ with the se windows in them.
So that's where I'm at.

Chris

GQsweep
2nd September 2011, 10:02 AM
Oh, BTW, it would be nice to deal with some one a bit closer to me than Brisbane so if anyone has info on a supplier in Sydney please let me know.

Chris

shaunh
29th October 2011, 12:08 AM
contact wreckers around your local area im sure they might have some glass for the swb

WHITEGQ
30th October 2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all,
Had same problem with my LWB GQ, the drivers side sliding window would fall out when you opened it. Had to get my GQ roadworthyed. I had an old MQ plastic roof sitting around, took a good look at sliding windows in that, both the lower section of the MQ windows had rusted out also. But the top sections were in good condition. Pulled both frames out, took left frame out to GQ, sized it up, the top 1/4 of the MQ left frame is the same shape as the GQ right bottom frame.

So staggered the cuts about 2" different in height, took out GQ frame did the same cuts, with the rubber seal staggered the cuts also, I didnt have a mig welder, so couldnt weld fame together, while frame was out just drilled some drainage hole into new frame, then put it all back together, used some silicone to seal it all and hold rubber together. I made all joins look as neat as possible, took GQ back for second inspection for roadworthy and it passed. I did this 3 years ago and it is still in there and window slides open and shut without problems. I dont have any pictures of doing this but can take some of the finished job if needed.

Havent done left side, but I would be sure that the right side MQ top frame would suit the left bottom side of the GQ. Hope this helps someone out there.

Dw86
5th December 2011, 04:25 PM
i got mine supplied to me from windows west in WA. they can post them out to you and they are alloy, no more rust.

porky64
26th July 2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys, we have solid one piece toughened glass to suit GQ shorty's, we sell heaps on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GQ-SWB-HARDTOP-ONLY-Left-or-Right-Fixed-1-piece-incl-rubber-NEW-/251011717817?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7176dab9&_uhb=1
They are fitted with a H section rubber, and does away with the old rusty frame. Give us a call, Autoglass Warehouse, 07 3344 4466.

happygu
26th July 2013, 08:46 PM
I saw some at Patrolapart in Lilydale recently, but didn't look at prices ...