PDA

View Full Version : installing a 2" lift in my GQ?

gavinsell
29th August 2011, 07:25 PM
hi guys.. how involved is installing a lift of new springs and shocks?

YNOT
29th August 2011, 08:23 PM
If you have the right tools and basic mechanical knowledge it's very easy.

Tony

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 08:25 PM
Where are you based?? If around Brissy, happy to give you a hand to help out!

gavinsell
29th August 2011, 09:27 PM
thanks bigrig.... but im in southern NSW in the snow. haha
someone told me that you have to take the weight off the wheels which makes sense.. but whats the best way to do this??

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 09:37 PM
If you've not done it previously, then get yourself a set of spring compressors ... You'll still need to jack it up but at least won't have to disconnect suspension arms (steering arm, panhard and tie rod) to get the springs in and out ... the compressors are relatively straight forward to use (make sure they're on side to side, compress each side a bit at a time - same for decompression - very important as you don't want them popping out at you as they pack a punch!!) - do one corner at a time and you'll still want a jack under each as you go (back from the front wheels, forward of the rear wheels) to get them flexing normally as much as possible so you have to compress less to remove them ...

The shocks are straight forward as such, but the rear ones can be a bit of a pain (just because of the top mounts).

Others will have advice on this one also mate - good luck with it and happy for you to PM me and I'll shoot you my mobile number - easier to discuss it over the phone.

YNOT
29th August 2011, 09:51 PM
thanks bigrig.... but im in southern NSW in the snow. haha
someone told me that you have to take the weight off the wheels which makes sense.. but whats the best way to do this??

Please don't be offended but I think it would be safer for you to get the lift installed by someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge. The last thing I want to read about is someone getting injured or worse because they were attempting something a bit too far past their capabillities.
Is there anyone you know who knows how to do jobs like this who could give you some hands on help?

Tony

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 09:58 PM
Please don't be offended but I think it would be safer for you to get the lift installed by someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge. The last thing I want to read about is someone getting injured or worse because they were attempting something a bit too far past their capabillities.
Is there anyone you know who knows how to do jobs like this who could give you some hands on help?

Tony

Or you could do that!! lmao ... good point though ...

gavinsell
31st August 2011, 06:38 PM
hey thanks for the info! i do have a few friends that are more mechanical than i.. but yes i have been tossing up getting it done or doing it myself.

Clunk
1st September 2011, 01:19 AM
hey thanks for the info! i do have a few friends that are more mechanical than i.. but yes i have been tossing up getting it done or doing it myself.

I did mine a little while back with a mate who knows stuff....................... took a couple of hours and found it well worth while, he supervised and made sure I didn't stuff up. But we had access to a fork lift and stands, so were able to remove springs with out a spring compressor, just undid the sway bars and panhards and shocks (I think thats what they were called), and lifted each end in turn being very very careful to make sure the diff breather pipes and break lines weren't pulled taught as the body rose from the axles, removed the old springs, then fitted the new springs and reversed the whole process. I found the fronts to be a little more fiddly due to the nature of the shocks................... I would have taken photos of the process but I got too excited and forgot, only got a picture of the forklift lifting the car

Evolution
1st September 2011, 10:25 AM
Just remember that a 2" lift still has a slight effect on the caster angle, and is about the limit on a Patrol without installing a caster kit. I've done a few GQ/GU models that ended up with a steering vibration after a 2" lift and caster bushes had to be installed as well to correct it. Most lift kits come with the caster adjustment for such an occation, personally, I change them to avoid comebacks.

-ET 4wd-
23rd September 2011, 12:49 PM
Hey gavinsell,
It is pretty easy to do!
Ive done a fair few now and have a complete 4 inch down to 1 hr on my race rig. the number 1 thing to remember when doin any lift of any height is to make sure you back all of the relevant suspension bolts off and then give them a tap with a hammer to free the bushes up.
That means panhard, and radius arms on the front and Trailing arms and panhard on the rear, If you dont do this you will tear the guts out of your bushes the first time you flex the beast up and also it will limit your flex ( till you kill the bushes) by binding the bushes up.
I found the easiest way is to leave the wheel on and jack the car from the chassis. Once you have pulled the shocks out the car will flex enough for you to get the springs out, if it doesnt then you just stand on the rim and push the diff down with ya feet while pulling the spring out. The added weight of the tyre and rim seem to help it flex better so you can do the job easier.
Once you have got all of the new suspension in and the beast is sitting back on level ground THEN go around and tighten all the arms and panhards back up, dont do this bit till the entire kit is fitted and the rig is off the jacks/stands.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Ben-e-boy
23rd September 2011, 08:12 PM
I put a complete suspension overhaul... 4 inch lift including a long arm kit which involves chassis modification in a day for 2 people. springs and shocks acouple of hours

Ben-e-boy
23rd September 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey gavinsell,
It is pretty easy to do!
Ive done a fair few now and have a complete 4 inch down to 1 hr on my race rig. the number 1 thing to remember when doin any lift of any height is to make sure you back all of the relevant suspension bolts off and then give them a tap with a hammer to free the bushes up.
That means panhard, and radius arms on the front and Trailing arms and panhard on the rear, If you dont do this you will tear the guts out of your bushes the first time you flex the beast up and also it will limit your flex ( till you kill the bushes) by binding the bushes up.
I found the easiest way is to leave the wheel on and jack the car from the chassis. Once you have pulled the shocks out the car will flex enough for you to get the springs out, if it doesnt then you just stand on the rim and push the diff down with ya feet while pulling the spring out. The added weight of the tyre and rim seem to help it flex better so you can do the job easier.
Once you have got all of the new suspension in and the beast is sitting back on level ground THEN go around and tighten all the arms and panhards back up, dont do this bit till the entire kit is fitted and the rig is off the jacks/stands.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Steve is right.... one thing I will add is that on the first flex the suspension will get angry at you and make some noise until everything finds its happy place If you do a thorough check when its installed and everything is right. there will be no need to be worried about the noise

gavinsell
28th September 2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks heaps for this help guys! some really handy info there Steve and will defiantly keeping this in mind when the time comes to installing the lift.
Thanks