PDA

View Full Version : GQ aircon LED upgrade

lachiek
29th August 2011, 06:47 PM
Hey all, anyone who has had the stupid little green bulbs behind their aircon unit blow knows what a pain it is and Nissan wants $40 per bulb for these so I did a LED replacement which is permanent and easy to do. Pics are only of job done and the circuit if you want to copy. Cost about $12 all up and took 30 mins if you know what you are doing with a solder iron.

Haven't plugged it back into the car yet so will post lit photo's later.

The unit - mine is climate control from a Safari but the bulbs are the same as on a normal aircon model from an Aussie spec Patrol.

Original bulb

Circuit

Circuit board - you can see the back of the LEDs soldered into the board (red circle) and the 1/4 watt resistors used to drop down the cars 12 volts to the LEDs 3 volts.

Power input - A few copper tracks on the circuit board blew from trying different types of bulb. The coloured wires are replacing the busted tracks.

The LED pokes through the board into the light tube.

The LEDs are a lot brighter than the original bulbs and a bit more directional so there are some bright spots on the display but overall I'm really happy and this system should now outlive the rest of the truck.

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 08:33 PM
Hey all, anyone who has had the stupid little green bulbs behind their aircon unit blow knows what a pain it is and Nissan wants $40 per bulb for these so I did a LED replacement which is permanent and easy to do. Pics are only of job done and the circuit if you want to copy. Cost about $12 all up and took 30 mins if you know what you are doing with a solder iron.

Haven't plugged it back into the car yet so will post lit photo's later.

The unit - mine is climate control from a Safari but the bulbs are the same as on a normal aircon model from an Aussie spec Patrol.

Original bulb

Circuit

Circuit board - you can see the back of the LEDs soldered into the board (red circle) and the 1/4 watt resistors used to drop down the cars 12 volts to the LEDs 3 volts.

Power input - A few copper tracks on the circuit board blew from trying different types of bulb. The coloured wires are replacing the busted tracks.

The LED pokes through the board into the light tube.

The LEDs are a lot brighter than the original bulbs and a bit more directional so there are some bright spots on the display but overall I'm really happy and this system should now outlive the rest of the truck.

Nice tip mate - if I tried that, it would all be over for Tank!!! I'd fry something for sure!!! lmao

Woof
29th August 2011, 08:37 PM
Well done mate, thanks for posting it up here...

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 01:17 AM
Going to improve the look of my interior a little more! little things like this make a HUGE difference. Cheers mate!

axl
6th March 2012, 07:51 PM
A light sand on tip of the LED with some coarse sandpaper should help diffuse the bright spots.

Tweakedoffroad
6th March 2012, 08:42 PM
Awesome job mate great idea

Toha
23rd May 2012, 07:14 AM
great job mate...

97_gq_lwb
23rd May 2012, 08:26 AM
The original bulbs are ridiculously priced genuine for any car.
I Struggled to find the little replacement bulbs anywhere locally ended up finding them at wes components.
http://wagner.net.au/
Was about $2 for a pack of 10 from what i can recall.