PDA

View Full Version : Sway bars-who's anyone got rid of them/are there aftermarket disconnects?

BearGUST
28th August 2011, 08:04 AM
Hi all,
I've picked up my OME 2" lift and wondering if anyone has all together removed sway bars -or- if there are aftermarket 'quick disconnects' available???
I don't really like to admit to it but I have had a couple of Jeeps, disconnects were available for them which improved off-road articulation by a huge amount.

Ben-e-boy
28th August 2011, 08:08 AM
Hahaha what are sway bars

Bigrig
28th August 2011, 08:15 AM
Hi all,
I've picked up my OME 2" lift and wondering if anyone has all together removed sway bars -or- if there are aftermarket 'quick disconnects' available???
I don't really like to admit to it but I have had a couple of Jeeps, disconnects were available for them which improved off-road articulation by a huge amount.

There are quick disconnects available mate, but usually not cheap ($80+ a corner for decent brands). The front end is where you want to be gaining the travel, so many people remove the swaybars up front first - it is illegal so make your own judgement call if you are considering it ... many run with the rear off also, but that is usually for more serious off road work. You will definitely get some more body roll, but from what I've seen first hand, nothing too dramatic depending on your driving style (i.e. If you drive it like you stole it, it's a whale to begin with so removing the bars is only going to make it worse - if you're fairly casual in your driving, you'll barely even, if at all, notice it).

BTW - My missus has a jeep with auto disconnects and they do make a huge difference ...

Good luck with it!

Bigrig
28th August 2011, 08:17 AM
Hahaha what are sway bars

I suppose that's the same as what I said ... just different!!!

Yep, none on mine either ... but I was trying to be diplomatic!!! lmfao

AB
28th August 2011, 08:26 AM
After removing my front to put the exhaust on I decided to leave it off for a while.

It's not my daily driver and you can notice the difference on road for sure. Can't wait to test it off road soon!

Ben-e-boy
28th August 2011, 08:29 AM
I suppose that's the same as what I said ... just different!!!

Yep, none on mine either ... but I was trying to be diplomatic!!! lmfao

You just need to learn to drive through the body roll lmao

BearGUST...... I had disconnects on my ute when it had a 2" lift I found that the rear sway bar would hang down and become the lowest point of the vehicle when disconnected. I wasnt into that.. considering the local tracks would rip it clean off so to save damage I ripped it off and never put them back on and wasted all that money on the disconnects

BearGUST
28th August 2011, 08:47 AM
$80 to disconnect one side of the front bar sounds like a good deal, does anyone know where to get them???
I actually had disconnects on one jeep, the other one I just undid one side before I'd head out 4wding. It wasn't too bad to drive.
You only need to take the tension off one side so it shouldn't hang any lower, did you have disconnects on both ends of the sway bar?

Bigrig
28th August 2011, 08:48 AM
You just need to learn to drive through the body roll lmao

BearGUST...... I had disconnects on my ute when it had a 2" lift I found that the rear sway bar would hang down and become the lowest point of the vehicle when disconnected. I wasnt into that.. considering the local tracks would rip it clean off so to save damage I ripped it off and never put them back on and wasted all that money on the disconnects

X2 - I've got front and rear extended Superior Engineering pins that have barely seen any work sitting in my garage!! About $380 worth in all ...

growler2058
28th August 2011, 11:17 AM
I'll admit it i too was once a jeeper:1087: something i couldnt understand hahahahaha and a mate of mine is a full jeepsexual and has all the disconnects, bells n whistles and i still tow him out hahahahaha
My troll was a poverty pack and never had a front sway bar, the rear is off now due to the 4" lift. Now i must take the connectors off so it doesnt look dodgy hahhahaa. As said above it aint a racecar its a 4b, drive it like a 4b and you shouldnt have an issue piloting your new boat hahahahaha

Woof
28th August 2011, 05:14 PM
No sway bars on my GQ, 4" lift running 35's on 15" rims, handles like a boat but you get used to it..

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2011, 02:20 AM
Front sway bar with Disconnects on the from of my GQ and to be honest i hardly ever disconnect them, Just forget!

When i did the 3" lift on the GU i fitted drop boxes to the front and i did not have a long enough extended link to refit yhe front sway bar so tied it up and thought i would source them and get back to it. 12 months later and some very difficult long distance touring and i will completely remove the front from the car and store it in the shed. The back sway bar on the GU does an extraordinary job. the front is pointless.

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 07:51 AM
$80 to disconnect one side of the front bar sounds like a good deal, does anyone know where to get them???
I actually had disconnects on one jeep, the other one I just undid one side before I'd head out 4wding. It wasn't too bad to drive.
You only need to take the tension off one side so it shouldn't hang any lower, did you have disconnects on both ends of the sway bar?

You can get them direct through Superior Engineering on the website I think ...

Gerrit Loubser
17th September 2011, 08:01 AM
I have no anti-roll bars on my Troll and it has been that way for a while. In that time I have run the vehicle laden and empty on tar and dirt roads and have towed a heavy off-highway caravan.

I am firmly of the opinion that anti-roll bars on a vehicle with beam axles have a much greater roll to play in improving the passengers' perception of safety than in actually improving road holding or handling.

Humans seem to find roll angles quite disturbing in a vehicle; kind of like an indicator of impending doom, even though those angles and hence also the lateral displacement of the center of gravity are rather small (even without the anti-roll bars).

With beam axles the tyres' camber angles are always relatively constant and are determined by the axle housing, unlike the case with independent suspension, where the camber angles can vary with suspension deflection and where an anti-roll bar can make a difference.

Anti-roll bars can have an effect on the over or understeering tendencies of vehicles on the limit, but in the case of the Patrol, the leading arm front end is so much stiffer in roll than the rear that it is only ever likely to understeer on the limit, with or without the anti-roll bars.

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 08:58 AM
I have no anti-roll bars on my Troll and it has been that way for a while. In that time I have run the vehicle laden and empty on tar and dirt roads and have towed a heavy off-highway caravan.

I am firmly of the opinion that anti-roll bars on a vehicle with beam axles have a much greater roll to play in improving the passengers' perception of safety than in actually improving road holding or handling.

Humans seem to find roll angles quite disturbing in a vehicle; kind of like an indicator of impending doom, even though those angles and hence also the lateral displacement of the center of gravity are rather small (even without the anti-roll bars).

With beam axles the tyres' camber angles are always relatively constant and are determined by the axle housing, unlike the case with independent suspension, where the camber angles can vary with suspension deflection and where an anti-roll bar can make a difference.

Anti-roll bars can have an effect on the over or understeering tendencies of vehicles on the limit, but in the case of the Patrol, the leading arm front end is so much stiffer in roll than the rear that it is only ever likely to understeer on the limit, with or without the anti-roll bars.

Top post mate - one for pondering as I suspect you are spot on in your assessment that they create a perception of safety by reducing body roll itself.

Sort of goes back to the basic fears we are born with (the rest are 'learned fears') - the fear of isolation, the fear of loud noises, and .... the fear of falling!

BusaKaine
12th December 2011, 10:09 PM
I put the entended links on the rear and lost the front one.

Ade
12th December 2011, 10:19 PM
None on mine mate..with 3'' lift and 315/16 tires. No problem with handling..just as good

menis
20th December 2011, 10:09 PM
Hey all!

I too wasnt running my rear sway bar in my 05 coily ute, it was fine when the tray was empty but when it loaded, it was horrible!
i spose i could have put up with it!

But that night my wise old man said to me what happened if u had a bad accident, and my insurance ran over my ute, and seen no sway bar? Thinkin of that i decided to whack it back on!

Im not a hardcore 4x4er n yeah thought it would be a smart idea with the amount of highway kays i do!

Just my opinion fellas
Cheers denis

BearGUST
21st December 2011, 03:14 PM
I ended up getting the superior engineering links, my thought are:
- they're pretty fiddly to disconnect & even moreso to reconnect.
- the difference in travel with the sway bar connected compared to disconnected is VERY minimal.
- driving on the highway with the front sway bar disconnected is bareable but certainly a lot more body roll.
I like to limit the things my missus has to whinge about, if she drove the trol with the front sway bar disconnected she'd notice it, and tell me all about it...

growler2058
21st December 2011, 04:35 PM
I ended up getting the superior engineering links, my thought are:
- they're pretty fiddly to disconnect & even moreso to reconnect.
- the difference in travel with the sway bar connected compared to disconnected is VERY minimal.
- driving on the highway with the front sway bar disconnected is bareable but certainly a lot more body roll.
I like to limit the things my missus has to whinge about, if she drove the trol with the front sway bar disconnected she'd notice it, and tell me all about it...

Fair enough mate gotta keep the tender gender happy :-)

Thirsty
21st December 2011, 08:36 PM
I have an OME 2'' with 3'' extended disconnect in the rear from Superior and no swaybar in the front. great combo for what I need.
cheers
good luck with it