PDA

View Full Version : When to overhaul the rotary pump of a TD42?

Patrol Tico
26th August 2011, 02:53 AM
Good day to all

I need to know more or less when is time to fix a rotary pump for a TD42. I took my car to a emission test and it didn't pass since it is using more diesel than normal. In fact, if I keep on driving the car and get stopped by a highway patrol then I could loose my plates and become the owner of a $600US ticket...
That's why I am concerned about fixing the pump which depending on what has to be done cost around $1500US in Costa Rica...:(
The man who sold me the car said he repaired it about two years ago but I doubt it now. Is there any KM that could give me a clue of when to fix the pump?

Thanks in advace for your help.

YNOT
26th August 2011, 06:23 AM
The injector pump will generally last for several hundred thousand kilometers before it needs overhauling, poor quality fuel will reduce its lifespan considerably.
Your excessive fuel use and emmissions could be caused by other things, air filter, injectors, valve clearences, blocked fuel filters etc.

Tony

Patrol Tico
26th August 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks YNOT for your input. Now I have something else in my plate to look at. Your help is very welcome.

Mrowka
27th August 2011, 05:18 AM
The injector pump will generally last for several hundred thousand kilometers before it needs overhauling, poor quality fuel will reduce its lifespan considerably.
Your excessive fuel use and emmissions could be caused by other things, air filter, injectors, valve clearences, blocked fuel filters etc.

Tony

So anything I can do other than move to improve fuel quality?

Remember, I live in Ukraine, where things are not always as advertised.

YNOT
27th August 2011, 09:12 AM
So anything I can do other than move to improve fuel quality?

Remember, I live in Ukraine, where things are not always as advertised.

To extend the life of the injector pump? The best thing you can do is fit a high quality fuel fillter and water trap.

Tony

Patrol Tico
27th August 2011, 02:20 PM
Would you mind to mention a brand that you trust? I though the original Nissan fuel filter was good enough.