PDA

View Full Version : Auto's... Good or bad???

Chug
25th August 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi, I'm wandering, how good are the autos in the GQ's? Do they chew up heaps of hp or drink heaps of fuel in either petrol or diesel in comparion to the manual?

Bigrig
25th August 2011, 08:29 PM
Not sure on either mate (as in I don't know if they produce less horsepower or chew more juice), but for what I've seen of competitive models, my auto burns most manuals ... but it does drink like a camel, but not much more than manuals I think ...

Clunk
25th August 2011, 08:52 PM
Autos do tend to use more juice than manuals and that's with any car. As for HP, I think they're the same but manuals are generally quicker 0-100....:... Unless its a new fandangled auto with a double clutch, like on a Golf gti

Tappatalking crappatalking

nowoolies
25th August 2011, 08:53 PM
heaps better in the soft stuff by far ...no manual can out do a auto on the beach imo

the evil twin
25th August 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi, I'm wandering, how good are the autos in the GQ's? Do they chew up heaps of hp or drink heaps of fuel in either petrol or diesel in comparion to the manual?

The Auto box in the Series 2 GQ's is a seriously tough piece of kit. If you can find one of the rare factory TD42 Auto's expect to pay a premium but they are worth it.

Depending on what sort of 4X stuff you do with the truck you can fit a switch in the Lock Up Solenoid circuit and/or crawler gears and/or an extreme Valve Body from Wholesale Automatics and it will take a seriously good driver in a manual to stay with you.

Two Patrols back I had a TB42 Efi Auto that had spent most of it's life pulling double horse floats all around WA. I expected to be overhauling the box within a few months... had it for another 100,000 K's and it just wouldn't die. Sold it almost 2 years ago now and it's still going strong for the present owner heading towards 400,000 K's

Chug
25th August 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys, I'm liking auto's for 4wheelin but know nothing about them in Patrols.

And hey Clunk71 whats that 'Tappatalking crappatalking' supposed to mean???

Bigrig
25th August 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys, I'm liking auto's for 4wheelin but know nothing about them in Patrols.

He means he's using tapatalk (like me) on his phone!! Easier than sitting at the laptop ... get to watch the "13th Warrior" on Foxtel whilst tapping away!!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2011, 09:49 PM

think clunk is referring 2 posting from the mobile phone..........using Tappa Talk.

As ET said lots of things that you can do 2 an auto if you want 2 spend the money.

I am just about 2 rebuild my auto, and would love 2 do the extreme valve body but just can't justify spending the extra 1000 bucks for it at the moment. Rodney ( Owner ) at Wholesale Automatics is a great bloke 2 chat 2 if you ever need advice on auto gearboxes.

They both have there good and bad points really it just comes down 2 what you are after.

Cheers

Todd

Chug
25th August 2011, 10:36 PM
Tappa talk... make sense

thanks Todd I will contact him.

I'm a little woried that it may zap some power off of my diesel which is non turbo at moment... Another job on the to do list.

Thanks
Chug

Clunk
25th August 2011, 10:39 PM

sorry mate, that comes up when I'm using Tapatalk on my mobile

DX grunt
26th August 2011, 01:36 AM

To answer your own hyjacked thread.......

When Bigrig first got his new technology, he would talk to us from his dunny. So, I started the crapping whilst tapping thingie, and it's just escalated from there. lol.

Bigrig's post counter wound off the clock after acquiring his new technology - just like a kid's energy level would sky rocket after a glass or 2 of red cordial or a bag of lollies.

lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

Bigrig
26th August 2011, 08:22 AM
To answer your own hyjacked thread.......

When Bigrig first got his new technology, he would talk to us from his dunny. So, I started the crapping whilst tapping thingie, and it's just escalated from there. lol.

Bigrig's post counter wound off the clock after acquiring his new technology - just like a kid's energy level would sky rocket after a glass or 2 of red cordial or a bag of lollies.

lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

What can I say ... it's true!! lmao

the evil twin
26th August 2011, 12:12 PM
What can I say ... it's true!! lmao

No sh!t ?

:eck05:

Chug
26th August 2011, 07:59 PM
Cool guys... I'm new to all of this and hadn't heard of tapatalk before.
I appreciate the heads up on it and
I must get it for my IPhone.
Cheers
Chug