PDA

View Full Version : GU - using oil? Assistance needed please

maphew
24th August 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi - I've had the GU ZD30 for about 2 weeks and I have done approx 600kms so far.

The engine is approx 30,000kms and is a brand new crate engine from nissan (form previous owner) car has done 240,000kms.

On the weekend before a drive I noticed the dipstick a little low (it was sitting just below the normal range on the GU stick) and was topped up with oil to the top of the normal range.

After driving about 350km on the weekend I rechecked the oil under similar conditions (i.e. level ground, engine started and warmed up) tonight and noticed the oil level back to just below the normal range.

I have checked for obvious leaks but don't see any, I just hosed down the engine and underneath and moved the truck to a new sport after topping the oil up again (approx 500ml to 3/4 normal range) to see for any drips, level tomorrow.

After letting the car sit for a while (few hrs) I started up and let warm up for about 10 minutes, the oil level was low again? Where is this oil going???

Any ideas please.

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 09:33 PM
Is it blowing a lot of smoke at the exhaust?? Diesels use oil obviously, but yours sounds excessive without apparent leaks ... no doubt some of the more knowledgable lads will be along to assist and offer advice mate ...

maphew
24th August 2011, 09:48 PM
Mate - haven't had a diesel for a few years, but on start up I wouldn't say excessive smoke.
I went out and checked the oil level cold and it showed full on the dipstick.

Which makes me wonder - should I be checking oil hot or cold???
Checking the oil warm shows considerably less oil, almost to the point where it is below normal on the dipstick.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Sir Roofy
24th August 2011, 10:06 PM
ive always checked mine before starting,that includes heavey machinery as well
after you have warmed it up alot of oil will still be up in the head and components
as well but at the same time it seems a lot of oil going someplace it shouldnt
with the amount you been putting in it would be well over full

maphew
24th August 2011, 10:11 PM
ive always checked mine before starting,that includes heavey machinery as well
after you have warmed it up alot of oil will still be up in the head and components
as well but at the same time it seems a lot of oil going someplace it shouldnt
with the amount you been putting in it would be well over full

The dipstick is reading perfect, the oil is at the top of the normal range from a COLD reading.
Is it overfull?

Bigrig
25th August 2011, 07:26 AM
The dipstick is reading perfect, the oil is at the top of the normal range from a COLD reading.
Is it overfull?

As long as it's not above the hi level reading you should be fine UNLESS your dipstick is a replacement and it's too short - have had that issue on here before ... pull your dipstick out and measure it ... I'll try to find the thread with the measurement ...

What grade and brand of oil are you using also??

damianovdd
25th August 2011, 06:29 PM
The check of the oil is always made in cold engine. When the engine starts the oil starts to lubricates it and does the same with the other parts. So it seem to dissapears, but it is not. This is what i know.

Fitzy144
27th August 2011, 04:11 PM
G'day mate - You need to check the oil while the engine is cold and shut down....... that way you know all the oil is in the sump. Check it the same way each time that way know for sure if there is a change and if the level is going down you're either burning it or leaking it!! Hope that helps......

Cheers
Fitzy

Gas_Guzzler4800
29th August 2011, 06:28 AM
As stated above mate, always check the engine oil on flat level ground when cold. All the oil will have pretty much returned to the sump.

Mugzy
16th September 2013, 04:32 PM
Very interested in this thread as I have just put a new motor in my 2000 gu2 and after the second oil change it has started to use a lot of oil

NP99
16th September 2013, 10:59 PM
Is there a consumption period during break in? How long does it take to settle the engine from new?

SupRob
17th September 2013, 07:51 AM
When I did my oil change, It was in the manual to run it 5-10mins then check it :S

Ill go see what the manual says again.