PDA

View Full Version : To Turbo or to just Extract??

mikepatrolgq
24th August 2011, 08:58 PM
Thinking of getting a turbo fitted to my TD42. not sure weather its worth the money, more to the point, if i put a set of extractors and a 2 and a half inch exhaust system, will i notice a change in power???

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 09:02 PM
Theres a few threads on here specifically for that topic mate - I'm on tapatalk, so can't cut and paste the link (someone else may be able to), but if you search TD42 and turbo, you should find a fair amount of information.

Good luck with it mate.

AB
24th August 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Mike,

I just put a second hand GU turbo to my GQ TD42 and after it got professionally tuned I highly recommend it mate!!!

Below is a link to more info about it...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4973-Fitting-a-genuine-Nissan-turbo-to-a-N-A-TD42

GUte
24th August 2011, 09:19 PM
The way I see it, a turbo manifold will probably cost the same as extractors and then all the extras you need are a turbo, oil lines and the intake side, you were going to get the exhaust done anyway so its not a whole lot more coin to get it turboed. You should be able to pick up a ht18 for bugger all, they're $795 brand new delivered off ebay.

Extractors will do stuff all by themselves, these engines need to be force fed :)

Edit
If you are looking for a used turbo, td42ti models are oil cooled only, td42t models were oil and water cooled.
An oil cooled only turbo will be easier to install

TuffTD42
25th August 2011, 05:26 PM
I would go turbo. CI engines don't react as well as SI engines to extractors because of the higher compression ratio. So back pressure around the port isn't as much as a problem in CI as it is in SI engines. After driving a TD42 with 2.5 exh & extractors & a snorkel I couldn't tell any difference to that of my old N/A stock manifold/exh Patrol.

I hear all sorts of stories about how adding extractors adds another gear or it nearly go's as-well as my mates turbo'd patrol etc bullsh@t. I think there would be gains. But so minimal it's not noticeable. Now turbo, that you will notice.

Cheers jono.

makeitfit
26th August 2011, 05:57 AM
I give in, what's an extractor?

YNOT
26th August 2011, 07:30 AM
I give in, what's an extractor?

Headers or tuned length exhaust manifolds. Much more efficient at scavenging exhaust gases from the cylinders than the standard cast iron exhaust manifold.

Tony

makeitfit
26th August 2011, 08:40 AM
Ah gotchya, a bit like this then
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300582169377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
What sort of money are they down under? :xxxx:

YNOT
26th August 2011, 03:38 PM
Ah gotchya, a bit like this then
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300582169377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
What sort of money are they down under? :xxxx:

Sort of, extractors for naturally aspirated motors look more like the one below which cost $235 (Aust$).
The link you've posted is for a very sexy set of tuned length pipes for a turbo engine.

Tony

makeitfit
26th August 2011, 07:51 PM
I've been using that turbo manifold pic for my mate to make one up for me. I'm going down the turbo route soon ;)

YNOT
26th August 2011, 08:41 PM
I've been using that turbo manifold pic for my mate to make one up for me. I'm going down the turbo route soon ;)

Make sure you keep us updated, with photo's please.

Tony

makeitfit
27th August 2011, 12:38 AM
I've just got a bit more work to do on my current 4x4 Nissan Terrano then I'll be full tilt on the Patrol. Taken hundreds of pics as I built the Terrano and will do the same for the Patrol don't you worry ;)

YNOT
27th August 2011, 07:22 AM
I've just got a bit more work to do on my current 4x4 Nissan Terrano then I'll be full tilt on the Patrol. Taken hundreds of pics as I built the Terrano and will do the same for the Patrol don't you worry ;)

I'd like to know more about the Terrano, in a seperate thread of course! I own a Terrano also.

Tony

makeitfit
27th August 2011, 09:40 AM
I'd like to know more about the Terrano, in a seperate thread of course! I own a Terrano also.

Tony
Hey no worries mate ;)
What section should I post that in then?
It could take a while to retell the whole build lol :)

YNOT
27th August 2011, 10:01 AM
Hey no worries mate ;)
What section should I post that in then?
It could take a while to retell the whole build lol :)

Just put it in members rides. It doesn't need to be a full build up thread, just the important bits.

Tony

Arman
4th September 2011, 06:06 AM
I would go for turbo too,its a different fun,as said,it need to be forced..go for turbo and you wil be hapy

Patrol Tico
4th September 2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Tony!

I would like to know if this header is for a trol? Thanks buddy.

GQ4.2
4th September 2011, 06:06 PM
wouldnt bother with extractors, just spend the money and put a turbo on it most aftermarket kits are around the 2500-3000k mark to buy and the gains speak for them selfs

YNOT
4th September 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi Tony!

I would like to know if this header is for a trol? Thanks buddy.

Which header would that be, am I missing something?

Tony