PDA

View Full Version : sat 27th trip to rainbow or condamine gorge

macca86
24th August 2011, 06:07 PM
Hi all jenni finally has a day off so we're planing a day trip to either location pending on the weather.

First question will my mates x trail make it through either of these places? (standard petrol manual tyres and ride height)

second if it rains like it suppose too will tracks be shut?

and third what fish are on the run this time of year at both places and what bait works best?
We may end up camping the night out too.
Everyone is welcome to come along once we decide where we're going too
Thanks guys

Dhuck
24th August 2011, 06:53 PM
Dunno about Rainbow, but if there is rain in the Condo region don't be taking an X-Trail. The river crossings can rise above what an X-Trail can handle and tracks can become very boggy. There is also bugger all fishing. But a damn nice drive. I will be organizing a trip up that way in a bit.

macca86
24th August 2011, 07:06 PM
leaning towards rainbow anyways might save the other on for a forum meet up. Tailor seem to be running might get a nice alvey to go up there. low tide at midnight high at 6am and low at midday on satso leave at 6 get there for 9 ish check surf gutters go for a drive and hit the fishing spots at dusk

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 07:06 PM
Rainbow is fine on low tide for an xtrail (the cuttings get pretty chewed up and soft at Cooroibah and Freshwater Lake though). The usual story - good day, easy going - miss the tides then it may be a bogathon for it ... that said, I've seen the Nissan advert with the xtrail screaming along the beach, so that must be real !!!!! lol

No can do this weekend unfortunately fella, but hope you get a couple along and have a blast!!

frenzy
24th August 2011, 10:36 PM
We can't do this weekend either mate. Keen for a look up there sometime though.

Clunk
24th August 2011, 11:04 PM
you'll be surprised at what the little Xtrail can cope with (but obviously I don't know what the area you're talking about is like), I used to have one myself but obviously you can only take it so many places...................... hence I got the Q instead!!!!! hahahahahaha

04OFF
25th August 2011, 10:56 PM
I will be organizing a trip up that way in a bit.

What a great idea Dave, ill be in that for sure :clapping:

The se-xtrial will be fine on teewah and rainbow beach on low tide, and Bear Grylls advertises x-trails, so that means they "must" be good ! (he-he) ........ as mentioned by bigrig, the access tracks can get pretty soft and chewed out , so ground clearance may come into play.

The entry to rainbow beach via the leisha track will always be best hit at low tide, as will the mudlo rocks at the other end of the beach, rainbow can be nasty and many, many cars have been lost on those rocks, its like quick-sand around them at times, please dont under estimate this beach.

its ok, its a maverick, not a patrol !
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/IMG_8378.jpg

And please dont do recoveries like this.....

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/IMG_8357a.jpg

And if you look like the guy ^ 3rd in top left, please keep your shirt on :hpfredgeorge1:

Oh, and sorry I cant go, my car is still at the panel shop getting the results of my "exellent driving" repaired :clownredpuff:

macca86
26th August 2011, 06:41 PM
I use to own a hilux 5 years ago and went there every month and have seen the events at mudlo while we were having a few schooners at the pub was very entertaining. Normally I would help but it was easter hot crowded and the beer was tasty plus you'd have to be stupid to do them at high tide! looking forward to it have the rig all packed ready for an early gettaway.
Ps love the recovery on the towball and at an angle what did they think was going to happen?

Bigrig
26th August 2011, 06:57 PM
I use to own a hilux 5 years ago and went there every month and have seen the events at mudlo while we were having a few schooners at the pub was very entertaining. Normally I would help but it was easter hot crowded and the beer was tasty plus you'd have to be stupid to do them at high tide! looking forward to it have the rig all packed ready for an early gettaway.
Ps love the recovery on the towball and at an angle what did they think was going to happen?

Have a cracker old mate - plenty of happy snaps!! Travel safe!!

04OFF
28th August 2011, 04:36 PM
How'd you guys get on up at rainbow, crap day weather wise on sat, but today looked quite good for a beach run, how did the x-trail get on , (wasn't a x-Fail i hope)

Silver
28th August 2011, 11:37 PM
And if you look like the guy ^ 3rd in top left, please keep your shirt on :hpfredgeorge1:

Oh, and sorry I cant go, my car is still at the panel shop getting the results of my "exellent driving" repaired :clownredpuff:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree, Steve, stripping off like that would only be acceptable by one 20 years older, 20 kgs heavier, and a lot more hairy........ hang on, that's me :-)

What's getting repaired at the panel shop? Your handiwork looked acceptable, esp since you are bound to collect a few more dings?

Silver
28th August 2011, 11:40 PM

yeah, but they pre weakened the strap by tying a knot in it :-) Still not recommended practice!

nowoolies
29th August 2011, 12:33 AM
i dont believe what im looking at

towball to towball, no dampers in place

and all those people standing so close

and the guy hanging off the step ........im lost for words

04OFF
29th August 2011, 12:56 PM
What's getting repaired at the panel shop? Your handiwork looked acceptable, esp since you are bound to collect a few more dings?

Found some cancer down there the "electronic rust preventer" missed, perhaps the model with a "extra bright" LED flashing light would have worked better (ha-ha) :bowdown:

Thought i may as well get all the damage and rust fixed before i put sliders on, and i hope once the sliders are on, i wont damage that area again, although "trying" to follow dhuck and bigrig around, anything is possible :smile:

Silver
29th August 2011, 02:00 PM
Found some cancer down there the "electronic rust preventer" missed, perhaps the model with a "extra bright" LED flashing light would have worked better (ha-ha) :bowdown:

Thought i may as well get all the damage and rust fixed before i put sliders on, and i hope once the sliders are on, i wont damage that area again, although "trying" to follow dhuck and bigrig around, anything is possible :smile:

Maybe just let it self adjust, or in the words of Mr Humphries, let the sills, quarters etc 'Ride up with wear'. :-)

macca86
29th August 2011, 07:49 PM
Weekend trip was good man has it changed in 5 years it's gone soft for all the soft roaders! The x trail made it no worries sand was wet so no real soft stuff. They have changed the 3rd cutting on the beach crusher dusted it and bypasses the water crossing and freshwater track is all graded and some places with crusherdust. I have only a couple of pics due to poor weather but I'll put one up tomorrow of a pajero I think burried in the sand 500 m away from mudlo rocks looked newish as not too much rust on her

04OFF
29th August 2011, 08:15 PM
Look forward to the pics, we also saw a stricken Pajero last time we were on Rainbow Beach......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Favs/rainbow2.jpg

I have also seen the freshwater track in great condition, but at other times its been quite shocking.

macca86
30th August 2011, 05:56 PM
well that's the same one but more is showing I can see 3 wheels ans lost my usb for the phone can't upload pics right now but still a great day out might even be worth the 15.50 for a day beach permit. use to be free when I went and was 80km all the way not 50 in the camping area

04OFF
30th August 2011, 08:08 PM
Cool, still get pics up when you can, id like to see how it looks now (although, ill be up that way in 2 weeks anyway)

If you pay for your beach permit "online" its a bit cheaper, under $11 from memory ?

Just make sure if you do it online, you have a working printer to print your window permit out, as to avoid a posible fine, you need to "display" your permit as per the regulations, not just be able to prove you have paid for it. (my mate found this out the hard way ,on his bribie island trip)