PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 05:27 PM
Hi guys,
excuse my ignorance but the electrical unit sitting on the side of the front passengers foot well, what is it? It got a good drowning in the weekend, pulled it apart, cleaned all the mud out and also cleaned the contacts etc with an alcohol cleaner specially made for this sort of thing. - This is not the first time ya see haha
Secondly do people relocate these? Or can you buy a new box that is water proof for them?
This is what happend lol the truck is still airing out.....sigh

Also would like to note that my rev counter stopped working, then magically started again :)

the evil twin
24th August 2011, 05:44 PM
If it is an Auto then the Transmission ECU is located behind the LH Pax kick panel

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 05:47 PM
If it is an Auto then the Transmission ECU is located behind the LH Pax kick panel

sorry mate should have said, 92 gq manual 4.2 diesel non turbo

NissanGQ4.2
24th August 2011, 06:25 PM
Is more then likely the ECU ( Engine Control Unit ), You will find a pic of the location in this thread to confirm

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2706-GQ-4.2-EFI-ECU-%28-Engine-Control-Unit-%29

Location is Passenger side firewall.

Cheers

Todd

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 06:38 PM
Is more then likely the ECU ( Engine Control Unit ), You will find a pic of the location in this thread to confirm

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2706-GQ-4.2-EFI-ECU-%28-Engine-Control-Unit-%29

Location is Passenger side firewall.

Cheers

Todd

Cheers Todd, from memory I havn't seen a unit there before, I'll double check though. However the one I'm referring to is the one to the Left of the ECU. My original thoughts that it was the glow plug relay but not sure.

NissanGQ4.2
24th August 2011, 06:43 PM
Cheers Todd, from memory I havn't seen a unit there before, I'll double check though. However the one I'm referring to is the one to the Left of the ECU. My original thoughts that it was the glow plug relay but not sure.

Been a manual it won't have a TCU which as ET said is located on the passenger side kick panel, the pics that is shown in the link is from a 92 TI EFI.

If you want PM me your VIN# or might get away with just the part number off the box your referring 2 and I should be able 2 look it up in nissan fast.

Cheers

Todd

Yendor
24th August 2011, 06:49 PM
The glow plug control unit should be in the RHS kick panel.

There are 2 relays mounted in the LHS kick panel (power window and central locking), but these are mounted up higher, inline with glovebox.

You may need to post a picture up.

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 06:51 PM
cheers Todd, just checked, no ECU hiding there. Might have been moved. Part number is 407901-3490 if need be I can go back out and check the VIN. This was just my first lazy option as it's sitting on my desk at the moment lol

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 06:53 PM
The glow plug control unit should be in the RHS kick panel.

There are 2 relays mounted in the LHS kick panel (power window and central locking), but these are mounted up higher, inline with glovebox.

You may need to post a picture up.

Thats another thing not working, my right front passengers window, that was after the first drowning (slow learning or just keen lol) always wondered where that relay was, cheers mate

NissanGQ4.2
24th August 2011, 07:19 PM
cheers Todd, just checked, no ECU hiding there. Might have been moved. Part number is 407901-3490 if need be I can go back out and check the VIN. This was just my first lazy option as it's sitting on my desk at the moment lol

that part number does not come up in nissan fast, but i'm using the aussie version of nissan fast. I had a search in google but it also doesn't return any results. Double check the number and if it is that number, you might be better 2 PM the vin.

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 07:32 PM
PM sent.....

NissanGQ4.2
24th August 2011, 08:37 PM
Sorry no luck yet Brett, any chance of a pic of it???

HippoNZ
25th August 2011, 02:38 PM
here ya go boss, cheers mate

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2011, 05:40 PM
From the look of the pic its the ECU ( Engine Control Unit ), you don't want 2 be getting that wet.....what a stupid place 2 located it!!! Don't have time at the moment 2 look it up on the net, will have a look later 2nite

Cheers

Todd

YNOT
25th August 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm curious to know what that ECU is for, being a 4.2 diesel with manual transmission it doesn't need any computer controls. Maybe it's some sort of body module???

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm curious to know what that ECU is for, being a 4.2 diesel with manual transmission it doesn't need any computer controls. Maybe it's some sort of body module???

Tony

Wouldn't all newer cars, have engine control management, regardless if it was manual / auto ....petrol / diesel???

Looking into it boss.....will get an answer even if it kills me!!!!!

HippoNZ
25th August 2011, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't all newer cars, have engine control management, regardless if it was manual / auto ....petrol / diesel???

Looking into it boss.....will get an answer even if it kills me!!!!!

cheers mate, the electrical side of things goes a bit over my head haha appreciate your effort and time Todd. I'll give you a bit more info there are two plugs that go into it, ones bigger than the other also heres a few more photos for thought. Also note it's a 24v system.

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2011, 07:20 PM
You would not believe this Brett, after the 5th bourbon of searching the world wide web of crap, I found this excellent web site 2 search for part numbers for the GQ and you would not believe this the site is in NZ!!!

OK here goes the part number 23710-30J00 which I got from your pic is................................................ ...

Nissan Patrol Y60 ECU Computer (http://www.partsworld.co.nz/parts/nissan/patrol/332-y60/88-ecu-computer/128697959)

here is a link 2 the site for you as it might come in handy in the future

http://www.partsworld.co.nz/

gee, i think i deserve another bourbon............bottoms up :)

HippoNZ
26th August 2011, 02:48 PM
You would not believe this Brett, after the 5th bourbon of searching the world wide web of crap, I found this excellent web site 2 search for part numbers for the GQ and you would not believe this the site is in NZ!!!

OK here goes the part number 23710-30J00 which I got from your pic is................................................ ...

Nissan Patrol Y60 ECU Computer (http://www.partsworld.co.nz/parts/nissan/patrol/332-y60/88-ecu-computer/128697959)

here is a link 2 the site for you as it might come in handy in the future

http://www.partsworld.co.nz/

gee, i think i deserve another bourbon............bottoms up :)

dam right you deserve another bourbon mate, its amazing what that stuff can achieve lmao
thanks for your efforts Todd.
I have drenched the ECU twice now and she still goes, maybe its time to water proof it???? I think yes haha. Not too sure how I'm going too achieve this yet tho

NissanGQ4.2
26th August 2011, 05:06 PM
dam right you deserve another bourbon mate, its amazing what that stuff can achieve lmao
thanks for your efforts Todd.
I have drenched the ECU twice now and she still goes, maybe its time to water proof it???? I think yes haha. Not too sure how I'm going too achieve this yet tho

no worries Brett, glad we could work out what it was, surprised your 4b still runs after drenching it twice! If i had the money and skill, I would be re wiring mine 2 sit it higher up in the 4b, definitely not a very good spot for it. Post up some pics when you waterproof it, that might be a better option

Cheers

Todd

Maxhead
27th August 2011, 07:10 AM
As tony said, what's an ECU doing in a 4.2 manual diesel? I'm confused.

I'm confused as well mate, I thought they still had the old wind up thinggy at the front :)

Trol_GU
30th August 2011, 02:21 PM
I reckon you should get a boat HippoNZ

HippoNZ
30th August 2011, 05:37 PM

Mate I like to call mine an amphibious craft lol although being a trol there not exactly light and they apparently have a tendency to sink so I've found out haha

YNOT
30th August 2011, 05:42 PM

Unusual first post, welcome to the forum.

Tony