PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

Foggy
24th August 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi, looking for some help with a clutch problem. I bought my GQ pet/lpg a couple of months ago and was told it had just had a new clutch (i have no reason to believe i was told B.S.). As i was driving it home i lost all clutch pressure, straight to the floor. No fluid. The clutch was bleed and then problem went. The car sat around for the next 8 weeks or so and when i drove it all was good for the first 2k's then the clutch started slipping and continued until i again had no clutch. The only thing this time is that i have pressure on the clutch pedal and fluid in the reservoir. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

dasemm
24th August 2011, 04:45 PM
have you tried re-bleeding it ?

HippoNZ
24th August 2011, 05:39 PM
I have heard that oil contamination can do it. Also if you have an oil leak somewhere and oil is getting on the clutch facings this will cause the clutch to slip, could also mean why this happened when your truck warmed up after a little bit of driving and fluids were moving. Just a thought

YNOT
24th August 2011, 07:35 PM
I think HipponNZ is on the right track, either you have oil contamination on the clutch facings or the clutch is worn out. Oil contamination is more likely as Patrol clutches will normally hold on right to the end and give you no warning before they fail completely.

Tony

Foggy
8th September 2011, 04:43 PM
I'm sure HippoNZ and YNOT are right, drove it yesterday around the block without a problem. So now need to find out where the oil is leaking onto it. You guys are great, i really appreciate the help.

-ET 4wd-
17th September 2011, 02:46 AM
could also have clutch pump on the clutch master!
If you combine fluids they can react and cause this issue, also if the valve in the master is blocked as you use the clutch the release will hold some pressure back and with the vibrations on the road it can slowly 'pump' up the master and make the clutch slip.
Is the pedal hard when this happens? if so this is where i would be lookin first plus it's cheaper!
If ya were in Sth Oz i could lend ya one of the 2 spares i have to test it out, but alas ya not.

Steve.

patch697
17th September 2011, 10:19 AM
Have a read of my post in this thread..... I think you may find it helpful.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6090-clutch-worn-out

the ferret
17th September 2011, 10:32 AM
Yep, sounds like pressure build up in the master cylinder if it has a new clutch.
When it slips again, you could check for free play in the slave, if there is no free play, the master cylinder is playing up.
If you DO have freeplay when it slips, there could be an oil leak or you were told BS in the first place.
If the master cylinder is building pressure, there will be a fair bit of pressure at the slave bleeder when foot is off the pedal .
Cheers, ferret.

White Elephant
17th September 2011, 07:06 PM
Might be a little off topic, and throw a spanner in the works so to speak, but I've had instances in other vehicles(not the trol) where a finger or fingers on the pressure plate has failed and caused the same sort of symptoms.

the ferret
17th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Might be a little off topic, and throw a spanner in the works so to speak, but I've had instances in other vehicles(not the trol) where a finger or fingers on the pressure plate has failed and caused the same sort of symptoms.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that that would cause a small amount of vibration when the pedal is pushed in.
I'm stick'n ta master cylinder because if and when a new clutch was fitted, they may have "over stroked" the master cylinder whilst bleeding.
This is a common problem, especially with with vacuum or air assisted braking systems.
The secret when bleeding is to gravity bleed or pressure bleed, or just pushing the pedal in about a third of the way.
Experience has taught me this over the years with trucks, loaders and 4 wheel drives.
Cheers the ferret.

White Elephant
17th September 2011, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm, I'm thinking that that would cause a small amount of vibration when the pedal is pushed in.
I'm stick'n ta master cylinder because if and when a new clutch was fitted, they may have "over stroked" the master cylinder whilst bleeding.
This is a common problem, especially with with vacuum or air assisted braking systems.
The secret when bleeding is to gravity bleed or pressure bleed, or just pushing the pedal in about a third of the way.
Experience has taught me this over the years with trucks, loaders and 4 wheel drives.
Cheers the ferret.

Twas just a thought. Rock n' Roll bro, hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later!

the ferret
17th September 2011, 08:17 PM
Twas just a thought. Rock n' Roll bro, hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later!
Thanks White elephant, all input is valuable and your's is very relevent.
Cheers, the ferret