PDA

View Full Version : Up grading GQ Head Lights ????????

89GQ
12th August 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi any sparkies out there. Im'e wondering if i upgrade from sealed beam to semi sealed beam Halogen.e.g.Narva have a 7" semi-sealed Kit with 100/55w or 60/55w Globes, Do i need to upgrade wiring to the lights. Cheers.

patch697
12th August 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi any sparkies out there. Im'e wondering if i upgrade from sealed beam to semi sealed beam Halogen.e.g.Narva have a 7" semi-sealed Kit with 100/55w or 60/55w Globes, Do i need to upgrade wiring to the lights. Cheers.

Its always best to upgrade your headlight wiring cos you get more power to your lights for a start but if you intend to go 100w high beam I would as this will put a strain on the factory setup & thay will give you trouble without an upgrade.

So I would do it if I was you..

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
12th August 2010, 06:30 PM
Do you know of any fool proof ways or looms etc. Im'e backward at electrics, and hangin to upgrade, i can get the Narva 100/55w kit for $115 delivered. anything with good instructions would be great. Cheers The lost one.

Maxhead
12th August 2010, 08:08 PM
Have you considered HID's? You could at least keep the existing wiring and just change the headlights.
Lot more light for less power draw.

patch697
12th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Have you considered HID's? You could at least keep the existing wiring and just change the headlights.
Lot more light for less power draw.

Agreed but HID HI/LO kits fitted to non HID headlight are illegal in Vic

Maxhead
12th August 2010, 08:22 PM
Yes, but so are lifts and big tyres.
I think as long they are adjusted down a bit to prevent blinding people they should OK and keep you unnoticed.

Lots of people run hi/low HID's these days. You could even find proper headlights with the correct reflectors in them but probably still not legal.

patch697
12th August 2010, 09:07 PM
Yes, but so are lifts and big tyres.
I think as long they are adjusted down a bit to prevent blinding people they should OK and keep you unnoticed.

Lots of people run hi/low HID's these days. You could even find proper headlights with the correct reflectors in them but probably still not legal.

Yep agreed.......

89GQ
12th August 2010, 09:15 PM
Whats the process, is it just the different globes,so will still need the new inserts (semi sealed) to put them in. So could i just get the narva semi sealed and do the HID globes and keep the original wiring. What would be the best way for me to do it? Cheers. I have bugger all idea!.Also here in SA dont think theres many laws on it where abit backward

patch697
12th August 2010, 10:09 PM
Ok its more or less a plug & play setup with a twist For HID's..... If your can wire up a car stereo you should be able to wire in HID's.

Yes you will need to change to a H4 type headlight insert to fit them but you will need to do the same if your going to H4's anyway.

I take it your trying to upgrade your headlight out put here? (improve your headlights)

89GQ
12th August 2010, 10:18 PM
so if i get the kit i take it i mount everything and the original light socket plugs into the HID kit?

patch697
12th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Sort of HID kits need to run Ballasts that have to be installed & wired in hence my (sort of) question "if you can wire in a car stereo" to ascertain your skill level & again my question on what you trying for here cos I have other cheaper & more simple & legal options for you if your interested?

89GQ
13th August 2010, 12:23 AM
Yep can do a radio with one eye shut!,As far as the lights go 6 mths ago i replaced my sealed beams as one was blown. Ever since and reading and hearing about HID, Halogen, Better brighter lights ive been keen on doing the upgrade, There's that much info,different kits e.g. had alook en ebay etc. Im'e lost on it and its just confusing me, 35w , 55w, 3000, 5000,12000,, H1, H4, H9 etc. etc. etc.the list goes on.Im'e confident to do wiring etc. but was just trying to sus out whats what with the enormous range out there, I would appreciate any options you have for me. I dont want the best most brightest/flashest lights you can get, just something relitively straight forward and more efficient than the sealed beam candles.Would appreciate any options you can give me. Cheers.

patch697
13th August 2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah Im hearing ya mate theirs so much out there & sometimes to much is just that too much so I will do my best to not add to your to much pile.....lol

Now if you want light power HID's are by far the way to go & not that hard to install but there is a side effect. In order to stop blinding on coming cars you really should adjust you low beams down but due to the HID setup you tend to loose a bit of your distance on your high beam now most ppl compensate this with HID driving lights but its another expense on top of your headlight upgrade that some some ppl don't want & keep in mine this may be illegal in your state. (although the 2 combined are just out of this world in terms of light power)

Now there are other much cheaper & legal options available that require no more in your case than to change to a H4 type headlight insert & a globe replacement & no wiring upgrade is needed (although you would get a better result again if you did upgrade your headlight wiring)

In this case by the inserts of your choice & a pare of Philips X-tremePower H4 globes (there spelling not mine)
thay are a 60/55 rated globe but pump out 80% more light power than a STD 60/55 H4 with an impressive 25mtr longer beam than a STD H4 globe as well. these globes cost around $30 each trade which puts them up there in terms of price but this is a far cheaper option than HID's Take stuff all work to fit & are a very impressive light but in no way will thay out power a HID

Now the rule of thumb with most HID kits is stay the hell away from the cheapo Chinese kits cos thay do not last.

If you are interested in an HID kit PM me & I will get you some prices BUT these kits are not as cheap as the cheapo Ebay kits thay are however far cheaper than you will find in the stores & are top Quality.

I run them in my driving light & have not had a problem & man are thay bright.

Now I hope I've not confused you here but have given you some things to consider

Cheers
Paul

p.s Im happy to answer anymore questions you may have so don't hesitate to ask

89GQ
13th August 2010, 09:15 AM
Good on ya Paul, Thats exactly what i was after Cheers. In the future i will upgrade to spotties as well so the semi-sealed insert and the philips globe for my headlights will be the answer for the time being and a wiring upgrade soon after. That was my biggest concern, melting the orig. wire,but as you say an upgrade would benefit me too.Just one more Question with the loom upgrade are the ready made ok or is it best to do your own.e.g. any diagrams or anything around? Thanks again i can get a good nights sleep at last!!

patch697
13th August 2010, 09:34 AM
I can get ready made looms that are the ducks guts but if your handy with a soldering iron it would probably save you some coin & when the time comes I can help you make one from start to finish its not that hard if you have someone explain it to you.

I think you will be very happy with your upgrade thay will be a big improvement over sealed beam.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
13th August 2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks paul,Just one more Q. I looked at some semi-sealed inserts and i noticed one lot i looked at didn't have the reflector which would end up in front of the globe,Anyway iv'e ordered some Narva ones and they have the reflector,what would the differance be?with or without reflector. Cheers

patch697
13th August 2010, 02:54 PM
Its the way in which the light is defused depending on the type of glob thay run as well to some extent. Brands also differ & it also to do with the shape of the reflector itself... Normally the ones that have them need then & the ones that don't, don't (as a rule anyway).

I personally prefer the beam (pattern of the light) on the ones that have this reflector your talking about so good choice.

Just a thought? did you go for water resistant type inserts (being semi sealed job Im assuming yes) (thay generally have a rubber boot for the back of the light itself) Thay are the preferred choice in 4x4's (IPF are the brand of choice here but also one of the most expensive). It will also pay to grab 3 of the philips globs as thay ain't stocked by everyone like a STD H4 & it pays to carry a spare.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
13th August 2010, 03:05 PM
Yep its got the rubber boot,Narva were the next cheapest down from Hella,got them for $40 each and they go for up to $65 each and ime getting two pair of the X-treme H4 got them down to $30 each,Cant wait till night time!!!!! Cheers and thanks again for ya help.

patch697
13th August 2010, 03:12 PM
Yep its got the rubber boot,Narva were the next cheapest down from Hella,got them for $40 each and they go for up to $65 each and ime getting two pair of the X-treme H4 got them down to $30 each,Cant wait till night time!!!!! Cheers and thanks again for ya help.

Keep me posted as to how it go's? Im sure you'll be happy with the improvement but the feedback would be good for others who are looking to do the same as you.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
13th August 2010, 03:30 PM
I know this is jumping the gun a bit but when your ready to do your drivers don't go though this again just pop in here & I'll get you sorted..... Without turning your brain to mush......lol

89GQ
13th August 2010, 06:32 PM
Not dark here yet, but there in!!!!! Will be back in a couple of hours!!!!

89GQ
13th August 2010, 10:21 PM
Their brilliant sooo much better than the sealed beam candles, went out of town a bit and WOW can see so much further and clearer up the road then i hit high beam double WOW on parr with spotties i say!!! Thanks for all your input and help Paul, cheers.

patch697
14th August 2010, 12:12 AM
There not bad are thay & such a cheap upgrade for what you get in terms of light power & bugger all work involved as well.

Well Im glad your happy with them as I was sure you would be & like I said come & have a chat when your ready to do your driving lights & I'll give you some options on them to if you like......

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
14th August 2010, 12:22 PM
One thing i will mension is ime going to replace the headlight housing, when i had a good look at them this morning they are not seated properly in the nissan housing,the little pressed in peices on the niss. housings are a little smaller, these locate the headlight.they are in the right place put not (the headlight) all the way in. So another Question for ya mate, im'e assuming all the 7" housings should mount in the same position? Also the niss. housing adjustment screws etc. are all corroded. Cheers. I forgot to say ive got the bug so i want bigger brighter driving lights,All those years with the sealed beam candles,now i want aircraft lights. lol.

patch697
14th August 2010, 12:42 PM
As long as there seated in there right spot & not loose I wouldn't bother replacing the headlight buckets (this is common with A/M inserts anyway) & no not all 7" buckets are all the same but you will be able to find some to suit Im sure.

Corroded adjusters is common You can remove clean with a wire buff or brush give them a spray & reinstall them or replace if needed.

As for the retainer screws I just replace them as thay are normally always corroded & 3 parts stuffed anyway.

As for your driving lights as I said before I am more than willing to help you set up something here to so when your ready we'll go from there.

Also check out my thread on HID Driving lights on here:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?464-HID-s

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
14th August 2010, 12:52 PM
There seated OK but everythings riged and stuck from corrosion, There $19 each so at least i can do a proper adjustment , Being so rigid as they are at the moment ime worried corrogations might crack something. Ill'e get back to you when the missus lets me dive into the coin to do HID's Thanks again.

patch697
14th August 2010, 12:57 PM
There seated OK but everythings riged and stuck from corrosion, There $19 each so at least i can do a proper adjustment , Being so rigid as they are at the moment ime worried corrogations might crack something. Ill'e get back to you when the missus lets me dive into the coin to do HID's Thanks again.

Yeah Im hearing ya, It is a small price to pay really to get your adjustment back & some piece of mind...............

89GQ
15th August 2010, 12:54 AM
Got flashed a couple of times tnight on low beam, So gotta do it soon,I know what its like when ya get blinded,dont wanna do that!! So Adjustment! Do it like the manual said,When ive done it before on level ground drive as close to the wall as possible, mark centre and horizontal on low beam, drive back 6-7 meters and adjust inch below horizontal and same to the left of centre. Never done Halogens!!! Any tricks or better way to do it?? Cheers.

patch697
15th August 2010, 02:30 AM
No deference mate, I set mine & just drive & tweak as I go.

A couple of handy tips are, if you can use a brick wall or even a roller door as the lines help you keep the lights even when aligning them & mark a strait line to use when you reverse back (just a rope or something). You will be surprised how being just a bit off here will effect your light aim.

89GQ
15th August 2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Paul, Im'e not stalking ya. hehe. But im'e thinking do the wiring upgrade, Im'e going to have the grill off to put the new housings in and might be a good time to mount anything while its off, Have you got a diagram of it or a link i could go to. Ive got some 4mm wire will that do the job?

patch697
15th August 2010, 09:03 PM
Here is a link to a well set out wiring upgrade, its for a Jeep but the principle is still the same.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, Im always happy to help.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
15th August 2010, 09:51 PM
I would suggest running this type of relay instead of the ones shown on the link as it keeps it neat & you will not have to use the inline fuses as shown in the diagram but this is only a suggestion.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
15th August 2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for that, had a good read and if i take my time should be easyish. Cheers.

patch697
15th August 2010, 11:02 PM
This may also help.

If you have any trouble with this PM me your number or I can PM you mine & I'll talk you though it or answer any questions about any areas your stuck on come time to install.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
16th August 2010, 11:12 AM
Hey Paul, I looked at this on the web, would the single relay one be sufficiant.$120 and easy to install

patch697
16th August 2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Paul, I looked at this on the web, would the single relay one be sufficiant.$120 and easy to install

I don't use them cos if one side blows you have to replace the hole thing but you can no probs..... But $120????
Thats way to much dosh for one of them.... I pick up new Era twin bank relays with 30A external fuses for under $50 bucks so I would be checking them out if I was you.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
17th August 2010, 06:59 PM
Turns out the Narva housings dont fit, mounting holes are way out, found the park light bulb holder on the narva lamp inserts were fowling up on the nissan housing so had to cut a bit of the housing out and they went in properly. So now i can do a propper adjustment.

patch697
17th August 2010, 07:52 PM
Turns out the Narva housings dont fit, mounting holes are way out, found the park light bulb holder on the narva lamp inserts were fowling up on the nissan housing so had to cut a bit of the housing out and they went in properly. So now i can do a propper adjustment.

Hmmm I didn't know you got the ones with them in, it all makes sense now. Thay should have supplied you the ones that come without the parkers as the Nissan don't need them as no prevision for then either & that would have been your problem all along (sorry I should have asked, it would have saved you coin).

You've got it all sorted now though thats the main thing.

So how did the adjusters come up after a clean?

Did you tackle the wiring?

89GQ
17th August 2010, 09:39 PM
They came up fine with the old wire brush,I think in the narva thats How they come,with the park light option, didn't see any others on their site. But sorted anyway,Will get all the parts together for the harness over the next few weeks and do it myself with the twin set up as you said,Will give you a hoy when im'e doing it when i start swearing at it lol. Cheers

patch697
17th August 2010, 09:45 PM
Mate if you think its a bit to big of a job Give me a hoy & I'll build you one (it will just plug & play simple as) rated to 40 amps (which is more then is needed) & send it over to you with a full run down on how to install it.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
17th August 2010, 10:16 PM
Paul that would be great! Appreciate that heaps. I am a bit iffy on doing one myself as i really dont know about them and its quite important its done right! I would't sleep if i was even a little bit concerned with electrics that i done,Id'e be going outside all the time to see if its on fire. But yeh if ya can let us know, no hurry , when ya ready.Thanks again.

patch697
17th August 2010, 10:26 PM
I'll be doing the very same job on anther soon so thats why I offered cos while Im doing one I can just as easy do 2 at once so when it gets a bit closer I'll PM you the price & if your happy with it I'll do yours at the same time & just send it up to ya.

& cos Im fitting the other one as well I'll take pics for you to see how its fitted & whats involved.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
17th August 2010, 11:07 PM
That sounds great! Thanks, Ill'e keep an eye out for the PM. Thanks again.

Franky65
22nd August 2010, 08:08 PM
Great information that you two gave here. I'm about to upgrade mine and this has answered a zillion questions I had. Thanks

patch697
22nd August 2010, 08:56 PM
Great information that you two gave here. I'm about to upgrade mine and this has answered a zillion questions I had. Thanks

If you have any other questions or need any advice don't hesitate to ask, we are always happy to help.

Cheers
Paul

89GQ
28th August 2010, 01:18 PM
Went for a good country drive , they work a treat, adjusted them down a bit so not getting flashed, Hows that loom going Patch yell out if ya need some cash. Cheers.

patch697
28th August 2010, 01:23 PM
Went for a good country drive , they work a treat, adjusted them down a bit so not getting flashed, Hows that loom going Patch yell out if ya need some cash. Cheers.

Just waiting on that GQ's owner to get back to me with on answer but if he doesn't I'll just make one up for you anyway.

Stay tuned.

89GQ
28th August 2010, 01:31 PM
cheers!!!!!!

patch697
28th August 2010, 01:33 PM
cheers!!!!!!

I like your avatar BTW.....lol

89GQ
28th August 2010, 02:52 PM
Did you WIPE the Screen, LOL!!!! I did when i saw it.

patch697
28th August 2010, 02:56 PM
Did you WIPE the Screen, LOL!!!! I did when i saw it.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..............YEP............lolo lolololololololol

demonflesh
2nd September 2010, 08:42 AM
lol, i didnt know what was going on, i thought a bug was inside the monitor.

89GQ
6th September 2010, 10:31 PM
lol, i didnt know what was going on, i thought a bug was inside the monitor. There is !!! Nah it had me slapping the screen when i found it. Bloody insects. lol

Maxhead
6th September 2010, 10:38 PM
There is !!! Nah it had me slapping the screen when i found it. Bloody insects. lol

Had me going for a while when I first saw it as well....haha

Steveo
24th September 2010, 06:06 AM
I have just upgraded my lenses and installed a 55w HID setup. I found I couldnt get the rubber boot around the lamps properly an had to cut them to fit. Now I have a water inlet issue. The lenses were suppsed to be H4 HID compatable. Anyone know if you can get a hid system that has fully sealed HID lamps?

89GQ
24th September 2010, 09:19 AM
I have just upgraded my lenses and installed a 55w HID setup. I found I couldnt get the rubber boot around the lamps properly an had to cut them to fit. Now I have a water inlet issue. The lenses were suppsed to be H4 HID compatable. Anyone know if you can get a hid system that has fully sealed HID lamps?i got a narva lens H4 and the boots needed a bit of perswation but they did end up going over the globe end and sealed good,Philips globe, Dont know about fully sealed sorry.

Mrowka
27th September 2010, 07:12 PM
Installed a set of IFS 55/125W halogen headlights.

They work well so far.

89GQ
27th September 2010, 10:15 PM
Installed a set of IFS 55/125W halogen headlights.

They work well so far.Make a huge differance hey! Better than the stock candles.

Mrowka
29th September 2010, 09:02 PM
Driving in the city last night, they worked great. Now if I could get other drivers to:

a) turn their headlights on at night; and
b) turn their highbeams off for incoming traffic, I'd be set.

I know, just go off-roading and don't ask for so much.

patch697
29th September 2010, 11:40 PM
Driving in the city last night, they worked great. Now if I could get other drivers to:

a) turn their headlights on at night; and
b) turn their highbeams off for incoming traffic, I'd be set.

I know, just go off-roading and don't ask for so much.

LOLOLOL Yep thats about the jist of it....lol