PDA

View Full Version : nissan patrol 2.8 snorkle

fullbost
23rd August 2011, 08:39 PM
gday guys i fitted a snorkle to my 2.8 gu last week sealed everything up well thats what I thought anyway. Went wheeling yesterday got stuck in a 800-900mm deep bog hole for about 10 minutes and I also went though a few puddles now I just checked my airbox now and there was a fair bit of water in the bottom section of it. The only seal I can think of that could leak would be the airbox to snorkle elbow that I siliconed on. I also siliconed up the small little drain hole thats in the top section of the airbox. I dont think there is a drain on the bottom section of the airbox otherwise the water wouldent have still been there today. Where would have all this water come in from? How do you guys check to see if your snorkle is airtight? . Also I'v still got the factory breakers that go up into the lh guard do you think it would be deep enough to suck water into the diff ext?
anyhelp would be much appreciated thanks

AB
23rd August 2011, 09:02 PM
Same thing happen to me the other week and I found that the water got in through the top of the snorkel from my tyres splashing up water when I was trying to get out. I know it's a long shot but just shine a torch down your snorkel head.

AB
23rd August 2011, 09:07 PM
To see if you got water in your diffs just slowly undo your drain plugs and let a tiny bit of liquid out into a cup and see if any water comes out.

Oil sits on top of water so if there's any water it will be down near the bottom of the drain plug.

fullbost
27th August 2011, 04:03 PM
thanks mate you may be right. How do you guys test snorkles for airtightness? iv heard blocking the snorkle head is bad on turbo diesels

AB
27th August 2011, 07:30 PM
thanks mate you may be right. How do you guys test snorkles for airtightness? iv heard blocking the snorkle head is bad on turbo diesels

I would get a mate to put his hand over the snorkel head for 5 seconds and you quickly check all joins for suction. Shouldn't do any harm mate.

fullbost
27th August 2011, 07:37 PM
Found my leak turns out my airbox lid had no seal what so ever on it. So got some rubber seal put it around the airbox lid lip and now shes all sealed engine stalls when I block top of snorkle. thanks mate

AB
27th August 2011, 07:55 PM
Found my leak turns out my airbox lid had no seal what so ever on it. So got some rubber seal put it around the airbox lid lip and now shes all sealed engine stalls when I block top of snorkle. thanks mate

Good news that it stalls mate. Well done!

_Greg
22nd September 2011, 11:25 AM
that is a common problem, as the air filters in the RD28eti does not always sit snug in the filter box. they seal top and bottom, so that is OK, becouse the dont let any dirty air get past, but for swimming with the car, water will get in. when i got both diffs hung up in this puddle, i found a bit of water came through the air filter (but not enough to go into the engine)