PDA

View Full Version : GQ rock sliders

benno
23rd August 2011, 07:23 PM
Howdy Guys, been a while, have been watching but not posting. I was wondering if anybody could help me with some ideas and or photos of rock sliders for my 92 GQ wagon, after doing a fair bit of damage last weekend, I thought I better build some. I did see some with the bolt on brackets welded to the chassis, is that legal??? Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers Benno.

Bigrig
23rd August 2011, 07:52 PM
Howdy Guys, been a while, have been watching but not posting. I was wondering if anybody could help me with some ideas and or photos of rock sliders for my 92 GQ wagon, after doing a fair bit of damage last weekend, I thought I better build some. I did see some with the bolt on brackets welded to the chassis, is that legal??? Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers Benno.

I'll get some photos of mine for you tomorrow mate - as far as I'm aware, bolt on jobs are the only ones that are "legal" (as such), as you're not supposed to weld onto the chassis etc ...

benno
23rd August 2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Bigrig, didn't think weld on jobs would be legal. I know a body lift gives you more room, but not sure if I want to go there.

cheers Benno.

Bigrig
23rd August 2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks Bigrig, didn't think weld on jobs would be legal. I know a body lift gives you more room, but not sure if I want to go there.

cheers Benno.

Body lifts are illegal also mate ... in most if not all states I believe (happy to be wrong).

Will post up some happy snaps tomorrow of them on the car , but this is the drivers side one whilst being welded up - hope you're handy on the fabrication front mate, as it will take some effort.

benno
23rd August 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks Bigrig they look good, just what the doctor orded, quite compact, are they bolted over the top of the chassis, the front one looks like it bolt through. Talking about things that are legal, with a 2" lift what is the legal tyre size in QLD for insurance, 32" or 33" do you know????

Cheers Tony.

Bigrig
23rd August 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bigrig they look good, just what the doctor orded, quite compact, are they bolted over the top of the chassis, the front one looks like it bolt through. Talking about things that are legal, with a 2" lift what is the legal tyre size in QLD for insurance, 32" or 33" do you know????

Cheers Tony.

You're onto it - the back two arms bolt over the chassis and the front one bolts to a plate that sits inside the mount on the chassis rail. You'd need to make the plate also.

QLD regs are only an increase of 15mm in diameter from largest OE spec sold for that vehicle - not much when they come bog standard with 265/75's .. Even that will probably change with this whole "total vehicle lift of 50mm" ... tyres and/or spring lifts included. There's a few other threads on here about that topic if you do a hunt for it ..

Definitely throw up some snaps if you decide to build some sliders - be more than interested in that one mate! Good luck with it.

dasemm
23rd August 2011, 09:17 PM
Tony, 2" is legal in QLD, but also check with your insurance.. I have a 2" lift with 33's on the GU..

benno
23rd August 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks again, would still like to see a couple of pics of your rig with them on if you can be bothered tomorrow, talk to you then,

cheers Tony.

Bigrig
23rd August 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks again, would still like to see a couple of pics of your rig with them on if you can be bothered tomorrow, talk to you then,

cheers Tony.

Will do mate!

benno
23rd August 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks dasemm, I did ask my insurance, and they said what ever was legal for your State was fine by them, I'll do what Bigrig suggested and have a look through the forum, I could probably google it to, talk to you soon.

Cheers Tony.

Bigrig
23rd August 2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks dasemm, I did ask my insurance, and they said what ever was legal for your State was fine by them, I'll do what Bigrig suggested and have a look through the forum, I could probably google it to, talk to you soon.

Cheers Tony.

Mate, I'm wearing 33's with a 5" lift as per a lot of others around - I've had one claim on the vehicle (bingled front end) and it was paid and repaired by the insurance, so I would suggest it also depends on the severity of the incident and how much they scrutinize the vehicle at the time of assessment (especially if there is injuries as a result if the accident). That is, if it warrants investigation, they'll probably do what they have to in order to avoid payout ... I wouldn't put it past insurance companies - take the premium first, ask questions later ...

As said though, there's heaps of other threads that cover this off in far more detail.

makeitfit
24th August 2011, 07:44 AM
Blimey guys, seems to me you've got more of a "nanny state" than we have here (UK) :harhar:
Makes a change ;)
First thing I'm doing on mine is the body lift. Welding seems stronger to me than bolting on. My insurance co. here just needs a job list of all the mods. Once that's done then we're legal :clapping:
Mind you if you'd let me in , I'd put up with it for your space :)

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 08:16 AM
Blimey guys, seems to me you've got more of a "nanny state" than we have here (UK) :harhar:
Makes a change ;)
First thing I'm doing on mine is the body lift. Welding seems stronger to me than bolting on. My insurance co. here just needs a job list of all the mods. Once that's done then we're legal :clapping:
Mind you if you'd let me in , I'd put up with it for your space :)

Haha ... Sad but true it seems ... but that said, having lived over there, it is obvious that we have far more modified vehicles on the road, and subsequently we become an easy target for the thick blue line (nothing thin about them!! lol).

benno
24th August 2011, 07:18 PM
I feel the same way mate, I had a bit of a look on google last night it seems 2" lift and 32's are legal, but I agree with you suck it and see, at the moment I'd just like to try 33's

benno
24th August 2011, 07:23 PM
Howdy, good to see you checking us out, it varies allot from State to State in Aussie which is stupid, but sounds as though it a bit more casual over there

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 07:26 PM
Forgot all about the snaps mate - will do in the morning ...

benno
24th August 2011, 08:16 PM
No dramas look forward to seeing them, there's not much room to get bolts over the top, did you drill the chassis, or bolt over the top????

Bigrig
24th August 2011, 08:24 PM
No dramas look forward to seeing them, there's not much room to get bolts over the top, did you drill the chassis, or bolt over the top????

Over the top - and you're right, not much room ...

benno
25th August 2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks I'll try that

Bigrig
25th August 2011, 09:31 PM
F#ck it ... I've done it again ... sincerely sorry mate, just a big day at the orifice and didn't get to do the photos ... I'm setting a meeting notice reminder for myself right bow to do it in the morning ...

Forgiveness sought!!!

Bigrig
25th August 2011, 09:33 PM
Set a meeting reminder for 10am tomorrow ...

benno
26th August 2011, 05:01 PM
No dramas whenever it suits, I'll just keep checking.

Bigrig
26th August 2011, 08:10 PM
Righto - not the best shots, but here goes .. sorry for the delay mate

Passenger side shots

Front arm and plate

Centre attachment

Along the line of the chassis

benno
27th August 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bigrig, that gives me something to work with, now all I need is to find the time to build some, much appreciated,

Cheers Tony.

Bigrig
27th August 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks Bigrig, that gives me something to work with, now all I need is to find the time to build some, much appreciated,

Cheers Tony.

No worries mate - where are you located? If around Brissy, happy to help out .. love that sort of stuff!!

benno
29th August 2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks again mate, I'm in Toowoomba so a bit too far away, I've got a few projects on at the moment so I'll try and fit it in shortly, but need to do it.

You would have to agree this is such a great club, I can't get over how willing people are to help each other, it's really great.

Talk to you soon, we should try to get together for a drive one day.

Cheers Tony.

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks again mate, I'm in Toowoomba so a bit too far away, I've got a few projects on at the moment so I'll try and fit it in shortly, but need to do it.

You would have to agree this is such a great club, I can't get over how willing people are to help each other, it's really great.

Talk to you soon, we should try to get together for a drive one day.

Cheers Tony.

No worries and would be great to catch up - think the next trip is out at the Springs and Janowen after that, so should be not too far from yourself even for a day trip or something - stay tuned as we post the trip info up pretty regularly (probably about a week till the next expression of interest goes up).

benno
30th August 2011, 06:44 PM
No dramas, I'll keep on checking, look forward to catching up.