PDA

View Full Version : Top mount or front mount intercooler

Ben-e-boy
22nd August 2011, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone

I'm having trouble making a decision on whether to install a top or front mount intercooler.

If I install a front mount I will have better air flow. but at the same time will restrict the air flow to the radiator
I will have to cut holes in the radiator support panel ( no biggy). I will have to replace all the drive belts with smaller belts to bring all my belt driven components closer to the block to make room for the piping.

If I install a top mount I have to cut a hole in the bonnet (unsure of legalities), get a bonnet scoop, make brackets (no biggy) instal a thermo fan to suck through the cooler and blow onto the motor

What would you do???????????????????

Cheers
Benny

Bigrig
22nd August 2011, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone

I'm having trouble making a decision on whether to install a top or front mount intercooler.

If I install a front mount I will have better air flow. but at the same time will restrict the air flow to the radiator
I will have to cut holes in the radiator support panel ( no biggy). I will have to replace all the drive belts with smaller belts to bring all my belt driven components closer to the block to make room for the piping.

If I install a top mount I have to cut a hole in the bonnet (unsure of legalities), get a bonnet scoop, make brackets (no biggy) instal a thermo fan to suck through the cooler and blow onto the motor

What would you do???????????????????

Cheers
Benny

Front ... no real reason why, just can't see the point in taking to the panel work to fit the top mount in ...

Others will have more 'constructive' input old mate!!! lol

macca86
22nd August 2011, 07:02 PM
I'd go top mount for 4x4's and front for performance cars. front mount easy damaged in a collision or wheeling about on the hard tracks top mount safer position doesn't block radiator and bonnet scoops look tough. Unless you're planning plenty of boost and need the larger core of a front mount stay up top

Woof
22nd August 2011, 07:08 PM
Mine is top mounted, the only issue is that the bonnet was touching the intercooler so I raised the back of the bonnet...........now the thermo fan has chucked it in, so I will have to take it out and replace it.
I have twin bonnet scoops on mine as well.

Ben-e-boy
22nd August 2011, 07:32 PM
thanks guys

scotty... your input was constructive I dont really want to cut a hole in the bonnet
Macca I like your point of view
doggy Do you have any pics I can look at please???

Cheers
Benny

growler2058
22nd August 2011, 07:51 PM
I'd go top mate as well and the only reason is i've seen how much mud an sh1t can collect in my radiator cant see it'd be real good for ya intercooler. Thats my uneducated thoughts anyway

Woof
22nd August 2011, 07:58 PM
thanks guys

scotty... your input was constructive I dont really want to cut a hole in the bonnet
Macca I like your point of view
doggy Do you have any pics I can look at please???

Cheers
Benny
Hey Benny, will try and take some photos tomorrow............................if I remember mate.

Ben-e-boy
22nd August 2011, 08:25 PM
I'd go top mate as well and the only reason is i've seen how much mud an sh1t can collect in my radiator cant see it'd be real good for ya intercooler. Thats my uneducated thoughts anyway

Thats edumacated enough for me.... cheers

Ben-e-boy
22nd August 2011, 08:27 PM
Hey Benny, will try and take some photos tomorrow............................if I remember mate.

no worries mate