PDA

View Full Version : a/t, subtank, and break warning lights are on

beansathome
21st August 2011, 07:26 PM
hey guies i went for a drive today cam home for a few hours then when i left again the lights for
subtank A/T oil temp and handbreak warning lights are on (yes i did take the hand break off lol) but the lights still stay light on the dash.

cheers ben

beansathome
21st August 2011, 07:35 PM
brain fart for got to say its a gu3 2003 zd30

Yendor
21st August 2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Ben,

I would say you have a faulty alternator.

Cheers Rodney

beansathome
21st August 2011, 07:47 PM
would that throw the sub tank and hand break warning lights on and the A/T ? my drive belt tensioner needs replacing but the belt is still intact

growler2058
21st August 2011, 07:51 PM
Just a stab in the dark but have you checked fuses??

Yendor
21st August 2011, 07:57 PM
Yes it can.

Grab yourself a multimeter, with engine at a fast idle measure the voltage across the battery terminals.

If the alternator is charging you should get a reading of around 14 volts.

How many Ks has it done?

beansathome
21st August 2011, 07:58 PM
checked the su tank fuse it was fine. i didnt have time to full go thre everything. the only idea i have is the could b a earthing problem seeing as the sub tank auto trans and handbreak are all in the same area this could ba a possability but i have to get under there in the daylight to see but the alternator is the 1 that has throwen me. all thease problems came up at the same times

beansathome
21st August 2011, 08:00 PM
Yes it can.

Grab yourself a multimeter, with engine at a fast idle measure the voltage across the battery terminals.

If the alternator is charging you should get a reading of around 14 volts.

How many Ks has it done?

the car has done 152k u can see it in the second pic lol

Yendor
21st August 2011, 08:05 PM
the car has done 152k u can see it in the second pic lol

lol....I should pay more attention shouldn't I.

beansathome
21st August 2011, 08:08 PM
lol....I should pay more attention shouldn't I.

lol i just thought it was funny i couldnt help but have a giggle no offence intended i tried really hard to say that it was there with out being rude.

Yendor
21st August 2011, 08:16 PM
lol i just thought it was funny i couldnt help but have a giggle no offence intended i tried really hard to say that it was there with out being rude.

It's ok no offence taken, I think it funny as, too.

It is pretty common when the alternator fails to bring on the warning lights, especially at the Ks yours has (what were they again...lol).

This would be the first thing I would check.

beansathome
21st August 2011, 08:21 PM
ill check it when the farther inlaw gets here fingers crossed a electrition has a maltimeater in the boot lol.

beansathome
21st August 2011, 09:05 PM
ok alternator at idle was 11.88volts at 1200 rpm it was exactly the same.

Bagheera
21st August 2011, 09:15 PM
Alternator should be putting out at least 13.6V at fast idle to charge the battery. If it's only putting out 11.88V then you are probably only seeing the batter voltage and the alternator is not doing anything.

Time to see an auto sparky for an exchange unit or rebuild unfortunately.

Yendor
21st August 2011, 09:28 PM
ok alternator at idle was 11.88volts at 1200 rpm it was exactly the same.

That is why your warning lights are on.

Very good chance your alternator is faulty.

beansathome
21st August 2011, 09:35 PM
or they all share the same earthing point. im going to have a look ( father inlaw sergested this b4 i take it anywhere handy having a electrition in the house). pluss the alternater is under warrenty any way.

John L
23rd August 2011, 05:26 PM
My alternator packed it in and flattened the main battery. My sub tank light came on and the full gauge went haywire. Fixed the alternator and charged the battery and all back to normal.

beansathome
24th August 2011, 08:28 PM
yer the alternator was stuffed in at nissan at the moment being fixed. i love my warranty lol. i had to put a new belt ant tensioner in b4 they could do it because my tensioner assembely was about to fall apart. when i cut the belt the top half of the piston came out lol

thanks every 1.

john L i didnt get the fuel gage was ok. but i didnt fully flatern the battery