PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Dazzler's GU IV coming this week- Mod sugestions please

Bobby Dazzler
21st August 2011, 03:51 PM
Howdy all,
as the title says... this is the week.
2006 GU IV 7seats 3.0 TD

once it is in my driveway, let the fun begin.
Will do the preventative mods mentioned in the forum - BIG thumbs up for that one Guys.
I reckon it already has 2' lift in the suspension, but monroe absorbers - they will get the chop and Ironman shocks and coils will go in.... BUT should I go 2 or 3' suspension ?

reason I ask is that it will come standard with 17'rims, I am wanting to run 33'tyres on and OFF road without scrubbing.
I already have a set of Silverstone MT117 extremes in 33x10.5 on -22 hilux rims which I have been told will fit - used for the off road stuff.
but for on road what is the recommended tyre / rim combo / offset etc ?
As the vehicle is all white including wheel flares, I am having the windows tinted nice and dark (legal though) and with the bull bar being black, I want to run Black steel rims.... reckon it will look the goods.

so, lead on with your recommendations and why
and include other worthwhile mods too if you feel like it

cheers
Bobby Dazzler

growler2058
21st August 2011, 03:58 PM
Are you allowed to put 15" or !6" rims on? That way with your 33's youll get more side wall. In my not always correct opinion i'd go 12.5" wide for my offroad tyre more traction/tread on the track the better. Again IMHO id go 3" lift over the 2" as you will have more travel if matched to the right shock/spring. Another good off road mod would be a front locker weather auto type or air/elec activated

EDIT: my old hilux rims do fit on my GQ but the offset isnt right

AB
22nd August 2011, 09:07 AM
Look forward to seeing the photos mate!

Bobby Dazzler
5th September 2011, 06:30 PM
WOW, what can I say... My head hurts from all this inter-googling
To put it bluntly....
The whole discussion on "engine saver mods", or any other name, you know, EGR blocking, boost dawes needle valve etc etc .

Is it necessary ?
mine is a 2006 series 4 with 103,000kms and have spoken to 4 diesel mechanics and all but 1 say dont bother, spend the money on something else.
the guy who said yes, reckons that all ZD30's will die if I dont do the mods.

I have read sooooo many threads on this and other forums, and even more confused than ever.......... I am over searching for the definitive answer.
anyone know what it is by chance
cheers

YNOT
5th September 2011, 06:41 PM
If you do nothing else, at least fit boost and pyro gauges so you can keep an eye on the engine, I recommend this for ANY turbo diesel regardless of make or model. Not actually engine saver mods but early warning systems that might just save your engine if something does go wrong.
Regular cleaning (every service) of the MAF sensor is recommended as well.
As for the rest of the mods, it's up to you. They shouldn't need to be done on a 2006 model but you just never know.

Tony

Bobby Dazzler
5th September 2011, 07:02 PM
I have to agree with having gauges as an early warning system if you like.
The Mechanics I spoke to do not recommend chips of any make as they bring the engine closer to its maximum performance all day every day therefore reducing the engine life ...is this true ?
They all agree that better spent cash would be a dump pipe and straight thru exhaust for better performance, fuel economy and better engine breathing therefore better all round ... is this right ?
if so, what size ? there are many different recommendations on forums, but would like a definitive answer from first hand experience
cheers

YNOT
5th September 2011, 08:02 PM
It's true that manufacturers set up their ECU programs with a degree of detuning to ensure engine longevity (though that didn't help early ZD30's!) and that chips 'can' take that programming closer to the edge, but with the current crop of highly developed chips available this is not such a big issue.
If you were to just advance the timing or add more fuel on it's own you'd be living on the ragged edge, but a good quality chip will do a lot more and keep the balance safe while giving better performance.
Some chips are user adjustable so you get to choose how hard you push the engine, and some of the latest chips even have a pyro sensor that will automatically wind itself back if it senses excessive EGT's, not even the factory Nissan computer has that function.

A larger exhaust (2 3/4" or 3", mine is 2 3/4") with dump pipe will benefit performance and economy but may cause over boosting on ZD30DI motors - there are ways around this. It doesn't need to be straight through (straight through suggests no mufflers which is illegal), I have a Beaudesert with a muffler on mine which gives plenty of performance and close to standard noise. Mine is a 2003 ZD30DI auto with all the engine saver mods and gauges.

Tony