PDA

View Full Version : UHF power - constant or switched? Your thoughts???

BearGUST
21st August 2011, 08:19 AM
Hey all,
I got my new GME TX4500 yesterday and looking to install it today, what's your thoughts/advice on ignition power vs constant power?
I don't have dual batteries yet but if I go with constant power I'd switch it to the second battery afterwards.
I'm thinking ignition power makes sense but wondered if any of you guys have done it that way and regretted it?

YNOT
21st August 2011, 08:23 AM
I run mine off accessory power, means I can have the UHF on without having the ignition on. If I put it on constant power I would forget about it and flatten the battery.

Tony

Maxhead
21st August 2011, 08:26 AM
Same as Tony, wired mine of accessories power for peace of mind. I would have flattened my battery 100's of times by now.
You're always in the car or next to it when using the UHF so the key is most probably in anyways

NissanGQ4.2
21st August 2011, 08:35 AM
I hooked mine up using constant power supply, and yep have left mine on over night a few times, but lucky 4 me haven't managed 2 flatten the batt yet.

If I was doing another install, I would just run it off ACC. No real benefit of having constant power 2 it

MC97GQ
21st August 2011, 10:16 AM
Mines hooked up to the accessory circuit, turn the keys off and the thing switches off.

You probably could hook it up to be constantly powered as long as your truck is used frequently(mine sits in the shed for a week at a time, so no good to me)at least then there would be more chance of not leaving it on long enough to drain your battery.

Better to wait for some advice from the auto sparkys here they will have a much better idea about current draw etc.

Mark

the evil twin
21st August 2011, 01:26 PM
Wire it so it is switched thru Accessories.

You can "power" it from wherever you want if you put a relay in and energise the relay from the ACC .

Some will say wire it permanently but other than being able to turn the set on if you don't have the Car Keys I don't see the point

macca
21st August 2011, 02:12 PM
I like mine powered permanently, on the tracks its allways on even if the acc / car radio is off for what ever reason.
Doing a recovery its working even if Ive turned everything else off. Same at camp if waiting for a late arrival or whatever.
Its the way I prefer it.
Macca

XTC
21st August 2011, 06:06 PM
My UHF currently only runs when the ignition is on, and is a pain in the ass. When I fitted my radios in the overhead roof console, I used the OE wiring which was already fitted (and powered) in the hood of the Patrol for the electric sunroof, the problem with this is that they are only powered when the ignition is on as I said. I'll probably change it to run on the accessories setting sometime down the track.

http://myswag.org/gallery/d/4458-2/Patrol+interior+003.jpg

BearGUST
21st August 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I meant ACC power.
Looks like that is the way to go, I've got a couple of handhelds for other times.

Yendor
21st August 2011, 09:01 PM
The most common installation would be to an accessory feed, but it really doesn't matter, it's totally up to you.

But the biggest killer of a cranking battery is continually running it flat.

Cheers Rodney

GUte
22nd August 2011, 03:11 AM
Mine is wired directly to the second battery and I have left it on overnight heaps of times without that battery going flat, if does the red arc solenoid should do its thing.

Im always using my radio without the keys in the ignition

Bob
22nd August 2011, 09:06 AM
Mine is wired Directly to the Battery both Positive and Negative.

No reason as I have just always done it that way

Sir Roofy
22nd August 2011, 10:30 AM
Mine is wired Directly to the Battery both Positive and Negative.

No reason as I have just always done it that way

im the same;when in the bush i take the hand held so i can call up the boss if needed or vice verser
and no need for the ignition to be on

guterra
27th August 2011, 06:38 PM
I have mine on a switch. Leave switch in the Up Position for it to come on and turn off with acc, or switch down if I wanted to power it with the key out. Best of both worlds!

Finly Owner
27th August 2011, 08:41 PM
Mine is through igarette lighte at the mo. but will be direct powered eventually with fuses on both wires. as will my SSB CB when fitted. So I can talk without keys in ignition while sucking on a stubbie. (can't be done for drink driving if keys are in house)

Tim

ghostrider_oz
27th August 2011, 08:51 PM
All my radios are run constant power, as somebody else pointed out personal choice, yes I have left them on overnight no worries the only time I ever had an issue with a flat battery was when I left them on over the weekend and went away with the family in the wife's car had a flat battery on Monday

Left on from lunchtime friday apparently neighbour said it talked to itself all night friday and saturday - was still going when we got home at 5pm on Sunday but I never got around to turning it off, luckily we live on a bit of a hill - just rolled it down and kicked it in the guts, (gotta love petrol Hiluxs)

dasemm
27th August 2011, 09:09 PM
mine is hooked up to the second battery.. they dont really draw much standby current..

warey
27th August 2011, 09:26 PM
ciggie lighter is the easiest i have found.
if you are paranoid about the acc circuit and want to use it with key off for what ever reason you could always hook it to constant 12v and use a timer when key is swithed off with an override if you need to use it for a prolonged period with key off,
cheers warey

molongmick
27th August 2011, 09:43 PM
HI there, mine draws it's power directly from the second battery, but I use a relay to switch the power on. The relay gets it switching charge from the accessories, so there is no extra darin on that circuit, not that the radio really draws too much.

Just though I mention what I did.

warey
27th August 2011, 09:56 PM
HI there, mine draws it's power directly from the second battery, but I use a relay to switch the power on. The relay gets it switching charge from the accessories, so there is no extra darin on that circuit, not that the radio really draws too much.

Just though I mention what I did.

nice work very good idea right there