PDA

View Full Version : GQ 2.8TD engine rebuild choices

lachiek
20th August 2011, 12:10 PM
Hey all I've got some tough choices to make and want any and all opinions.

I've got an immaculate SWB GQ (160,000 kms) which I love and want to take round Aus so I want to keep it if at all possible.

Issues
blowing too much black smoke on accelleration.
cold starts very easy but idles rough until warm.
compression is low at 280PSI all round. Sh*t!
fuel economy has gone from about 11/100 to 14/100.

Power is good and when warm she runs perfect so some mechs have said don't worry about the low compression while others said rebuild ASAP. Another mech has said the fuel pump (injectors are new) needs an overhaul and another has said look at the turbo first. Do the math and thats all adding to serious $$!

Have research lots of options for engine swaps etc and for what I want / hassle avoidance it seems the best option is to rebuild or replace with another RD28TD.

Will a 2.8 engine from a GU bolt up? I'd need some electrical work obviously but there are a few around.
If I rebuild current engine is there an alternative fuel pump that can replace the standard one? Don't really want to spend $3-4k on a pump rebuild too!

Thanks for any thoughts, Lachie

lachiek
23rd August 2011, 10:45 AM
No-one?

Well I got a second opinion from my usual mech. Did a compression test + leakdown. 400 PSI on all 6 cylinders and nothing wrong with the engine!

Now checking injectors + valve clearances + turbo to get rid of that smoke.

genehunt
28th August 2011, 08:58 PM
Hello mate,

I guess as it's not blue smoke, it means it's something to do with too much fuel being burnt? Injector clean or maybe an overactive fuel pump? Chuck in some of that injector cleaning gunk in the tank and see what happens...

Good news that you have had a good result with the compression test. Maybe the first guy was hoping to get an engine rebuild out of you?

Good luck

Chris

Ps. I'm new to Nissans, so can't offer any ideas of alternate engines that drop straight in, sorry