PDA

View Full Version : Suspension lift help please.

makeitfit
19th August 2011, 08:17 AM
Just getting into all things Patrol shortie :1056: and now need some help on which springs and shocks.
Trouble is here in the Uk no one really does any Patrol mods.
So I need to buy from Aus so dont want to get it wrong :bowdown:
I'm thinking along the lines of +3" springs and some longer shocks to allow more articulation.
I guess I'll need some castor correction bushes and spring holder thingies :confused:
I've got some 33s off my last 4x4 to go on for now but will be after 35s soon:bigthumbup:
So any recommends?
I've also got 60mm body spacers ready to fit by the way;)

XTC
19th August 2011, 09:33 AM
I've just fitted a 4" lift in my GU wagon and have been doing things which I see needs doing, rather than buying all the stuff which some say is a must.

So far I have done the following:-
. 4" coils
. extended brake lines (new extended one on rear, and old rear one moved to front)
. extended rear diff breather
. rear brake proportioning valve bracket
. long travel shocks
. longer rear swaybar links
. trimmed rear bump stop plates
. extra packer in rear coils for airbags

Stuff I think still need doing:-
. adjustable panhard rods front and rear
. longer bump stops or bump stop packers
. longer front swaybar links

Some of this stuff may not be so important with a 3" lift, but it will give you some idea what to look out for. My lift has cost me much more than I first thought it would, but I am almost on top of it now. I went from a 2" lift, which didn't really need anything extra besides coils and a packer for the airbags.

growler2058
19th August 2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.bigo4x4.com.au/ Gday mate this is the mob that I used for my 4" lift, i'm not saying to buy from him it was conveniant for me. But you can see from his kits what is involved. in my opinion i felt it was the way to go to but a complete kit from the one place matched for my purposes. There are plenty of others which can be used also Snake Racing etc.

makeitfit
19th August 2011, 09:40 AM
Cheers XTC, I'm with you on the way forward. It's just I need to order the coils and shocks from you lot.
I can sort/make extended panhard, bump stops and extended sway bar links. Though I'll probably try for disconnects or bin them all together.
What size tyres you got with the 4" lift? :devilred:

XTC
19th August 2011, 10:05 AM
Cheers XTC, I'm with you on the way forward. It's just I need to order the coils and shocks from you lot.
I can sort/make extended panhard, bump stops and extended sway bar links. Though I'll probably try for disconnects or bin them all together.
What size tyres you got with the 4" lift? :devilred:

I run pretty much standard size All-terrain tyres (265.75R16 or 31's) when touring around on a lot of bitumen, and it probably doesn't look great with the little tyres on, but it helps my little 2.8 diesel out a bit.

I also run a set of Mud-terrains (305.70R16 or 33's) when out playing, or when the trip may get a little bit more extreme. Looks much better than the smaller tyres, but it takes a lot out of the little 2.8 to turn them.

I have been using Dobinson coils in my Patrol for the last 13 years, and have found them very good, and they have plenty of range to choose from. But there are plenty of good brands out there.

I know how you feel about getting the right coils, with the distance they would have to be sent. The first set of 4" coils I had sent were a little too high and strong for what I wanted, and I was lucky enough that my supplier was happy to take them back and send an alternate pair to me. The replacement pair was perfect for what I wanted.

I dealt with John at Zordos Suspension in Brisbane Australia, and I spent plenty of time on the phone to him explaining what I wanted. He didn't try and push unwanted stuff onto me, and was happy to give advice without pushing for a sale. http://www.zordos4wdsuspension.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=28

TuffTD42
19th August 2011, 02:07 PM
Upto 3" lift it's not to bad price wise after that then it starts to get expensive. Just my opinion but I reckon 3" lift is perfect for a shorty.

Try these guys,
http://superiorengineering.com.au/
or
https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/index.php?osCsid=a7b692d5892a780e0319fe538a3f7114