PDA

View Full Version : Door locks only unlocking

xtreme patrol
19th August 2011, 01:05 AM
Hey hoping someone can help

Im just going to cut and paste the history of my problems as i cant be bothered typing it out again

One day driving along and all the lights on the dash started to go crazy the instrument cluster filled with smoke and she died. My near new battery swelled like a balloon and was ready to pop.
All up i needed to replace the ECU, ALT, Airflow meter, instrument cluster, stereo, all globes inside and out, most fuses, power antenna and my central locking is still not working and i need a new airbag control box.
Auto elec said something fused inside the alternator and it sent something like 24 volts to everything

Right now the all doors unlock (no remote locking on this patrol) when i turn the key in the door but will not lock the same way nor does the button near the power window control it too unlocks but not locks
Its getting on my nerves when im running around town and every time i stop i need to reach over and manually lock each door including the barn doors at the back Only to have them all unlock when i get back into the car so next stop i got to do it all again.

Im thinking about just buying a generic central locking kit and ripping out the nissan stuff because i cant trace the problem.
I have the workshop manual but cant find any relays or fuses only were the control box for the remote locking is supposed to be (Not fitted) and i know the system works.... well it unlocks

Any ideas?? anyone, Fletch???

Yendor
19th August 2011, 07:29 PM
The workshop manual I have shows the control unit for the central locking (or smart entrance control unit as Nissan call it) mounted below the radio on the right hand side, connector M41 (near your left knee when sitting in the drivers seat).

Because you have said that the central locking works when unlocking, this tells me that your fuse, relay, most of the wiring and door lock actuators are ok.

Yes the problem could be with the control unit or a break in the wiring going from the control unit to the switches in the RHS front door or a problem with the switches them self.

You need to find the central locking control unit, then using a multimeter check the operation of the switches.

If the switches test ok then I would try another central control unit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Rodney

xtreme patrol
19th August 2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks Rodney i will have a look at the manual again and find that control unit. I dont think it would be a break in a wire because it stopped working when everything else fried but i will run a multimeter over it all anyway.
I was thinking that it might run two relays one for lock on for unlock but stuffed if i can find them
Thanks for the help

Cheers
Darren

Yendor
20th August 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Darren,

They only run one relay and main circuit breaker, from memory they are mounted in the LHS kick panel roughly inline with the bottom of the glow box.

Because your central locking unlocks I cant see the problem being with them.

I suspect the problem is with the control unit as well (going by what you have told us) but it doesn't cost anything to test it first.

The other thought I has was maybe one of your door light switch was faulty and this was showing one of the doors as being open, (stopping the doors from locking).

But I just when out and check on mine (GUIV) and it will still locked even if one of the switches was faulty, so I would say yours would be the same.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Rodney

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 01:11 PM
G'day extreme,

just fixed central locking issues with my GUIV. Not sure is this helps but see how you go.

My remote fobs was using up batteries every 2 weeks then dieing. Now some patrols central locking has a switch and not an actuator in the drivers door and some do have an actuator. to test, place key in front passenger door lock and open. if it only unlocks that door you have a switch in the drivers door. if it opens all locks you have an actuator in the drivers door. mine has the switch.

I purchased a remote central locking kit from auto one for $59. Installed only one actuator in the drivers door and wired up the controller. Once installed, the aftermarket remote operates the drivers door actuator i installed which in turns operates the factory switch and central locking system. Bonus is that the aftermarket system operates from 30-40m away. Took me a couple of hours at the most.

Have also heard of guys experiencing unlock but no lock function adding new and improved earth straps

Again, not sure if it helps but see how you go.

Cheers

xtreme patrol
10th September 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks Hugebbq
Funny you should bring this up because i just walked in the door from installing a remote central locking kit works awesome.
Just need to buy one more actulator for the barn door.

Cheers

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 09:30 PM
Great to hear xtreme,

Sounds like you've got it sorted!

My aftermarket system works a treat too and I wish I had done it earlier. I find it amazing the quality i got for $59 as well as its performance and range compared to Nissan's recommendation to fix my problem being for me to pourchase a new plastic remote at a cost of $300 and no guarantee of a fix.

good onya mate!

Shaun

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 09:31 PM
Great to hear xtreme,

Sounds like you've got it sorted!

My aftermarket system works a treat too and I wish I had done it earlier. I find it amazing the quality i got for $59 as well as its performance and range compared to Nissan's recommendation to fix my problem being for me to pourchase a new plastic remote at a cost of $300 and no guarantee of a fix.

good onya mate!

Shaun

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 09:32 PM
oops ..double post ..sorry