PDA

View Full Version : x link

makeitfit
18th August 2011, 08:45 AM
Me again :gday:
Just watchin' some Patrol p*rn on youtube and saw a Patrol with some massive articulation :thumbup:
It had an X-LINK on the front axle, but what is it please and why ? :1087:
http://youtu.be/W2ZxbfIPgIY

TuffTD42
18th August 2011, 06:15 PM
Its basically just a length of steel that is welded to the diff on a bush allowing it to rotate. The front mounts for the control arms are cut off. they are then bolted to the xlink. This allows the arms to move more independently of one another. You will get the same effect if you remove just one front control arm bolt. Best not drive on the road like that & take it easy until you get used to the vehicles handling. You will need to remove the front sway-bar to get the front to flex to its potential with that set up. You will also need longer shocks & then you may find the front springs will fall out. But there is springs about that will suit.

Comes down to the design of the front end. the position of the control arm bush's is what restricts the front from flexing. Hence the xlink fix's that problem. Or you can get Superior super flex arms that allow heaps of flex not as much as the xlink but enough.

Once you get the front to flex then you will have to contend with the ball joint over binding & failing & I have also seen pics of a counter shaft snapped clean in half from to much front end flex.

First pic xlink, 2nd pic Superflex arms.

macca86
18th August 2011, 06:28 PM
nice vid mate that's flexing alright!

Dhuck
18th August 2011, 08:03 PM
I want that front end flex. yummmmmmmyyyyyyyyy