PDA

View Full Version : GQ Tints - Adelaide

tracemul7
9th August 2010, 10:55 PM
Hey Folks,

I'm new to this forum, and recently acquired a 1997 Patrol GQ (2.8TD).
She's pretty standard, and doesn't have stuff like bull bars, spottys, tints etc.
We sorted the bull bar and spottys, so she's looking good now :)

Does anyone have any advice on where to get the tints done? We're between Adelaide and Gawler, so anywhere around here would be fine. Or is there anywhere i should avoid? Dont wanna spend a fortune, and just wanna go darkest legal tints all round.

Any advice gratefully received :D

Cheers, Trace

patch697
9th August 2010, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Trace. I like you choice in 4x4s BTW where pretty hard core about our Patrols here....lol
Don't forget to drop into introductions & tell us a bit about yourself & ones again Welcome.

I cant help with your question sorry but we have a few SA members here who im sure will be able to.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
9th August 2010, 11:37 PM
Welcome Trace.

There's bucket loads of Patrollers from South Oz on this forum, so you should get a good deal from a tint place out of one of them.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

my third 256
10th August 2010, 12:40 AM
try scorpion tinting on main north rd behind mcdonalds at enfield did my last patrol $285 showed them the raa card and got 5%off
regards stephen

tracemul7
24th November 2010, 10:16 PM
Got the Eclipse tints on our patrol today :)
It's looking really good now!!
We use Scorpion Tinting as suggested above, and very happy with the service and the quality - highly recommended. Although forgot to show RAA card - d'oh!

Just thought i'd post the update here, incase anyone comes looking in the future :D

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 04:06 PM
Now this is a question that is opposite of the installation of the tinting...

How does one go about in removing the old tinting that is starting to bubble up and warp the windows?

I got tinting done when car was new, and a good 15 years have passed... but to take the tint off is very hard as it seems infused into the glass.

BTW to peel off the tint, it frays and the smell of the adhesive glue is rather toxic.

Thanks for any ideas.

YNOT
19th January 2011, 04:12 PM
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive. Any adhesive remaing on the windows can be cleaned off with a razor blade and window cleaner.

Tony

AB
19th January 2011, 04:20 PM
Ive never tried to remove tint but was in the signage industry for 10 years so this should be the same principal.

Heat the window up using a heat gun (hair dryer would also work). Careful not to melt the tint but get it at a good warm/medium hot temp.

Start in the corner and try to peel it back whilst keeping the heat in front of where your peeling to keep it all tacky, again pay attention not to melt the tint.

This should also remove the adhesive as well which should mostly stay on the tint vinyl.

Keep your fingers close to where it is coming off the window.

If there is any adhesive left on the glass then rub off with turps.

Let us know if this works or not too mate!

Edit = Damn you Tony, your too fast!...lol

mackayboi
19th January 2011, 04:24 PM
I will let you know if it works... but it is on the to do list, so will take some time before I can give any feedback.

So I suppose I should use work gloves to peel off the tint that is heated up?

AB
19th January 2011, 04:27 PM
I will let you know if it works... but it is on the to do list, so will take some time before I can give any feedback.

So I suppose I should use work gloves to peel off the tint that is heated up?

You can but it shouldnt get that hot....If you can't hold it with your hands then you are putting too much heat on.

You will know when its ready, start peeling the corner and it will be very tacky and stretchy like...lol.

Start slowly, if tint breaks when trying to peel then its too cold....More heat!

Should be an easy job, I would get that off the to do list as it should only take an hour or so.