PDA

View Full Version : Mt Mee State Forest 17 August 2011 Qld

Silver
16th August 2011, 12:55 PM
We are aiming to leave the Gantry day use area at 10:30.

This is a map of the park from the DERM site http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/daguilar/mount-mee-trail-map.pdf

I haven't been up there for years - back then most of the open tracks were doable with our MQ wagon and basic driving skills.

There are no chicken tracks in the sense that Landcruiser Park has them - a short by pass around less straightforwad sections, and because I have not been up there for ages, I don't have a plan of where we are planning to go. Historically the Southern end had harder tracks - the map does give some indication. For instance A Break used to be a bit steep, but very well maintained and smooth. I have since seen it a bit washed out, and then smooth again.

We have in mind a bit of driving, a spot of lunch, maybe a splash in a creek for the billy lid and a bit more driving.

Please read the forum meet up disclaimer thread. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4874-Forum-meet-up-disclaimer

04OFF
16th August 2011, 01:09 PM
Well i had organised to take the family up to bribie island, but this sounds much better silver !

Ive never been to mount mee, ill see if everyone is happy to change destination and get back to you mate.

nowoolies
16th August 2011, 02:33 PM
g`day Silver ....why cant you fetch that over here
then us westies can have a bit of mountain fun hahahahahaha

04OFF
16th August 2011, 03:59 PM
We're good to go silver ! :thumbup:

Happy to do easy or hard tracks (or both), Mt Mee looks like a great place to play around with the camera too.

Do you want to meet somewhere earlier and travel up together ?

Do we need permits etc where we are going ?

Silver
16th August 2011, 04:12 PM
G'day 04OFF,

It will be easier to meet up there for us - will try to get to the Gantry a bit early and let the Billy Lid run around a bit.

No need for a permit - lots of photo ops, including platypus for the quiet at Rocky Hole, and views West across Somerset and Wivenhoe Dams, the rainforesty stuff etc.

This is from the DERM website:

Escape the maddening crowds these holidays and explore the beautiful and diverse mountain forests of Mount Mee State Forest and Forest Reserve.

Protecting around 17,000 hectares of precious rainforest, grassy woodlands and mountain heath, the park is located one hour's drive north from Brisbane and can be accessed via the quaint boutique townships of Samford, Dayboro and Woodford.

Department of Environment and Resource Management ranger, Wil Buch, said Mount Mee was the perfect natural setting for a variety of activities.

"Visit The Gantry and take a walk around the Piccabeen circuit or Mill rainforest walk, both one kilometre return," Mr Buch said.

"For the more adventurous walker, head out on the 13 kilometre Somerset trail and enjoy views to the west from the Somerset lookout.

"Check out the historic remains of the Hancock Sawmill at The Gantry day-use area or cool off beside the water holes at Rocky Hole or Broadwater.

"For a change of pace, four-wheel-drive and motorbike users can access around 130 kilometres of scenic forest trails in Mount Mee," he said.

"Vehicle permits are not required to access these trails; however, normal road rules do apply and vehicles must be registered and driven by licensed drivers. Two-wheel drive vehicles are not suitable for unsealed roads in the park.

"Some roads and trails are designated non-motorised areas or are closed to the public. Police and rangers regularly patrol Mount Mee to ensure public safety on the roads and will be increasing their presence over the holiday period," Mr Buch said.

"Considerable work has been undertaken in the last six to twelve months in an effort to improve park facilities and visitor safety. This work will continue with extensive works commencing after the holidays to upgrade roads, particularly in the southern end."

For more information about Mount Mee State Forest and Forest Reserve and the activities on offer phone 1300 130 372 or visit www.epa.qld.gov.au.

Last updated: 16 April 2009

Silver
16th August 2011, 04:54 PM
It would be nice if the link to D'Aguilar National Park worked on the DERM website - presumably the link to these alerts would show up there. However I stumbled across these, and it appears that the storms and floods of January have caused some havoc at Mt Mee as well - I found it difficult to line up the closures with the map provided, but suspect A Break and Diana's Bath and all of that area may be closed.

We will still be going to see what is open - it is what I think it is, and the roads have been repaired, should be easy driving, good views and nice walks.

This alert applies to the following parks:

D'Aguilar National Park
Top Road, Centipede Road and the eastern section of C Break are closed for Forest Plantations Queensland to continue timber harvesting operations in Mount Mee State Forest.

It is expected that these operations will continue until the end of August.

D'Aguilar National Park
Due to landslides, track damage and dangerous conditions caused by the January rain event, part of D'Aguilar National Park (including the Mount Mee section) are closed temporarily for safety reasons.

The following areas within the park are closed:

All backcountry campgrounds in the southern section apart from Dundas Road, Lightline Road and Scrub Road;
The Audax loop;
Parts of Lawnton Road and England Creek Road (fire trails) and
Red Cedar day-use area.
The main forest drive accesses including Lovedays Road, L Traverse, Peggs Road, Chambers Road and Neurum Creek Road in the Mount Mee section of the park have reopened to 4WDs, along with Neurum Creek and Archer campgrounds, the Somerset Trail, the Piccabean walk and the Falls Lookout and Lophostemon walking tracks. The western escarpment section of the Park has been reopened for motorised use, which includes the escarpment forest drive to the Somerset Lookout and associated back country fire breaks in that area. In the interest of public safety, the remainder of the Mount Mee section will remain closed until further works and repairs can be carried out under natural disaster repair and recovery arrangements.

Vehicle access to the southern section of the park is closed. Permit holders (ie. aparists) should contact local staff for further information.

Works are currently underway across D'Aguilar National Park to allow public access back into rain affected areas. These areas will reopen once works are complete and the areas are safe.

Please go online or call 13 74 68 before heading to D'Aguilar National Park to check conditions.

The safety of visitors and the conservation of D'Aguilar National Park are of concern to the Department of Environment and Resource Management during these conditions.

Last updated 21 July 2011

D'Aguilar National Park
Sections of D'Aguilar National Park, Samford Conservation Park, Moggill Conservation Park and Clear Mountain Conservation Park will be closed for short periods from March until August for safety reasons while planned burns are conducted by Queensland Parks and Wildlife staff.

Signs will indicate the boundaries of closed areas during the closure periods.

The safety of visitors and the conservation of these areas are of principal concern to the Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) during these conditions.

Planned burning is an important management tool used by the DERM and other Australian land managers and fire authorities to reduce the likelihood and impact of bushfires and for ecological purposes.

The appropriate use of controlled burning for fuel reduction helps protect human life, community assets, private property and wildlife habitats.

Last updated 30 March 2011

Bigrig
16th August 2011, 05:06 PM
Would love to mate, but in Sydney tomorrow! Have fun and be safe!!

Silver
16th August 2011, 07:41 PM
Would love to mate, but in Sydney tomorrow! Have fun and be safe!!
what kind of excuse is that - it's on the way to the airport.............not :-)

04OFF
16th August 2011, 07:45 PM
I have heard from someone that was at Mt Mee 2 weeks ago, the main track is closed due to this years flood damage, other tracks are still open.

Im not sure what that means as far as what is missed on the main track, but do you know if you can get to this Gantry meeting place without using the main track ?

Silver
16th August 2011, 08:05 PM
I have heard from someone that was at Mt Mee 2 weeks ago, the main track is closed due to this years flood damage, other tracks are still open.

Im not sure what that means as far as what is missed on the main track, but do you know if you can get to this Gantry meeting place without using the main track ?

yes, that is quite close to the ranger station, and on the flat - so it will be fine. you can see it on the map just at the end of Selin road - turn right

Lets go for channel 17 again

Silver
16th August 2011, 11:13 PM
Crush and Snickers are joining us - Fran and El are bringing their cameras

04OFF
17th August 2011, 06:36 AM
Cool, sounds great, if all goes to plan, should see you in a few hours :bigthumbup:

Silver
17th August 2011, 09:27 AM
:-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
17th August 2011, 07:54 PM
Nice day rolling around the top end of Mt Mee minus Centipede. K break and thus A break etc was closed, along with the rest of the Southern end. Noticed Peggs road was open heading South.

They have been busy fixing roads, and still are. Will cost them a fortune I guess out of what is doubtless a moderate budget. Mind you they seem to have spent a lot on gates :-)

Nice scenery, extra nice company from 04OFF, Snickers, Crush and of course the loverly wife and billy lid.

No hard stuff was found. Despite that, 04OFF has some more repairs to do - luckily to the same door he damaged last weekend. Getting quite a bit of character about it now, that GU :-)

Did see a couple of snakes on the road. Jason (75 Series Ute) touched one on the tail with his thong - snake departed. Obvious, really, because what use has a snake for a thong?? :-)

04OFF and Son are pretty committed rock scramblers to get that special water fall photo. Looking forward to seeing them.

04OFF
17th August 2011, 10:02 PM
Pretty much sumed it all up nicely Silver !

We had a great day thanks mate , would like to go back when the tracks are re open again.

The weather was a bit overcast for decent pics, the sun did come out, but a forest fire created a huge smoke haze across the horizon, so no clear distant views, but still great to see.

Funny i copped damage and never even got it into 4WD the track was that tame :1087:

The Gantry Mount Mee

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/A2a.jpg

The road in

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/A1.jpg

The Waterfall

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/A3a.jpg

Why i wont be camping at Mt mee

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/A4a.jpg

This is the view from the lookout (stiched from 3 pics, first time played with this method so not perfect)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/A5.jpg

Silver
17th August 2011, 10:41 PM
who'd have thought that big pool was under the look out cliff, no wonder you and the lad were excitedly scrambling around.

Top photo and saved me the walk!!!

Bigrig
18th August 2011, 08:48 AM
Looks like you had a good one up there ... I rolled a GQ ute up there many years ago, so I assume the tracks that are closed are all the "fun" ones??

And it's only a python Steve you big nanna!! Heres a small one I caught about 3 months ago in our back entertainment area at 3am in the morning (took it in to show the kids)!! Love snakes!! We actually had a taipan on the road leaving Landcruiser park 4 weeks ago ... they're the ones I don't like!!

04OFF
18th August 2011, 10:21 PM
I heard you like to handle snakes Scotty !

Rumour has it, you were also pictured holding a small snake on top of a hilux down at scenic rim ? :toot:

(ha-ha)

Bigrig
19th August 2011, 08:15 AM
I heard you like to handle snakes Scotty !

Rumour has it, you were also pictured holding a small snake on top of a hilux down at scenic rim ? :toot:

(ha-ha)

No rumour brother - I was fighting off a bloody anaconda up there!!!! lmao

04OFF
19th August 2011, 09:21 AM
Oh What a FEELing !

:groupwave:

ha-ha